Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Blackberry Z10/Q10

Old 01-30-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Blackberry Z10/Q10

Might as well make a thread for today's announcements. Linking images from Engadget, hope they work.

Research in Motion has changed their name completely to Blackberry.

Blackberry Z10 - 4.2 inch screen, 1280x768, 356 DPI

Blackberry Q10 - 3.1 inch screen with full keyboard.

Looks like the Z10 is launching in the UK and Canada this week, but won't be out in the US until March.
Old 01-30-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Blackberry Z10/Q10

Review from The Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/39...rry-z10-review

Review from Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/b...ry-z10-review/

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-30-13 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 11:00 PM
Banned

I'm getting the Q10.
Old 01-31-13, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
I'm getting the Q10.
So you're the guy.
Old 02-01-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only a matter of time before Blackberry doesn't exist at all.
Old 02-01-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious how apps will work on the Q10. If they're optimized for a portrait, full touch-screen, how will they scale to fit the Q10? I picked up a 9930 when they hit last year and a bunch of apps would show up sideways since they were made for the Torch in portrait mode.
Old 02-01-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stick a fork in them, they're dead.
Old 02-01-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So they got rid of the trackpad? My wife isn't going to like this (she hates touchscreens and likes physical keyboards).
Old 02-01-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
So they got rid of the trackpad? My wife isn't going to like this (she hates touchscreens and likes physical keyboards).
So she's the guy.
Old 02-01-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
So she's the guy.
She is. She's been keeping RIM afloat with her choice of phones.

It's not entirely her fault. Touchscreens don't work well with her; they don't respond to her fingers. Also she uses her Blackberry for mostly email and text, so the lack of apps and cumbersome web or video viewing weren't a factor for her.
Old 02-01-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
She is. She's been keeping RIM afloat with her choice of phones.

It's not entirely her fault. Touchscreens don't work well with her; they don't respond to her fingers. Also she uses her Blackberry for mostly email and text, so the lack of apps and cumbersome web or video viewing weren't a factor for her.
They don't respond to her fingers? Is she a robot?

They are making a BB10 phone with a physical keyboard though. She can get one of those. Long-term, though... doesn't look promising for her.
Old 02-01-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
They don't respond to her fingers? Is she a robot?

They are making a BB10 phone with a physical keyboard though. She can get one of those. Long-term, though... doesn't look promising for her.
Pretty sure that was the point of the post you originally quoted. They have a keyboard version, but the pictures of it look like they eliminated the old hardware buttons and track pad, and relying entirely on touch screen to get around the OS. I think that's what Jay G. was concerned about.
Old 02-01-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Pretty sure that was the point of the post you originally quoted. They have a keyboard version, but the pictures of it look like they eliminated the old hardware buttons and track pad, and relying entirely on touch screen to get around the OS. I think that's what Jay G. was concerned about.
Ahhh... I understand now. I've never owned a BB and I had forgotten about the little directional nub.

Yeah, no way around that anymore, I'm afraid.
Old 02-01-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, navigating is an issue on the Q10 if you don't want to use the touchscreen.

I think Android would work if I could find a phone that has both a keyboard (like the Droid) and still has a trackpad (like the G1 or Nexus 1). The G2 had both, but that's 2 years old at this point.
Old 02-02-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are 80 million BB users worldwide. They're not even close to being dead.

The Z10 is a pretty slick device. The OS (QNX) is by far more powerful than iOS, Android and WP8.
The thing is a powerhouse.
They've geared the phone towards the most important aspect - communication. The UI is great and the HUB/Universal inbox is very convenient (don't need to launch your facebook, twitter, email, etc app to see your messages).

The display is beautiful - more detailed than "retina display" on the iPhone as it has a higher DPI.
Removable battery, micro-SD card, NFC, HDMI port are all offered.

Before trying it I thought the predictive keyboard wasn't a big deal, but immediately I was hooked - saves a lot of time typing.

They will never have as many apps as the iPhone/Android, but as long as they have a decent amount and many quality apps - there'll be a market. There are plenty of people who have real lives and don't spend their entire time constantly glued to their phones.

I recommend checking it out before passing judgement.
Old 02-02-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
There are plenty of people who have real lives and don't spend their entire time constantly glued to their phones.
Funny that that Blackberry WAS for people that spent their entire time constantly glued to their phones.
Old 02-02-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Z10 is a pretty slick device. The OS (QNX) is by far more powerful than iOS, Android and WP8.
The thing is a powerhouse.
They've geared the phone towards the most important aspect - communication. The UI is great and the HUB/Universal inbox is very convenient (don't need to launch your facebook, twitter, email, etc app to see your messages).

The display is beautiful - more detailed than "retina display" on the iPhone as it has a higher DPI.
Removable battery, micro-SD card, NFC, HDMI port are all offered.

Before trying it I thought the predictive keyboard wasn't a big deal, but immediately I was hooked - saves a lot of time typing.

They will never have as many apps as the iPhone/Android, but as long as they have a decent amount and many quality apps - there'll be a market. There are plenty of people who have real lives and don't spend their entire time constantly glued to their phones.

I recommend checking it out before passing judgement.
Canadian pride?
Old 02-02-13, 10:54 AM

Expect that number to keep dropping. For example, my company has completely dropped BB support just a few weeks ago, and anybody carrying one needs to convert to Android or Apple immediately. This is the same company that practically hung up on me a few years ago when I needed help connecting my Android to the network, telling me "that's not a supported device, you need to get a BlackBerry".
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Funny that that Blackberry WAS for people that spent their entire time constantly glued to their phones.
Hence the term CrackBerry.
Old 02-02-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow 80 million users! That's a lot. Hey wait how many Android users are there again?
Old 02-02-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's hilarious that people can't envision others using a different phone. The elitism I see with something as trivial as a phone makes me weep for humanity.
Old 02-02-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's hilarious that people can't envision others using a different phone. The elitism I see with something as trivial as a phone makes me weep for humanity.
That's hardly it at all. People are just being realistic about the free fall that RIM/Blackberry has been in over the last few years as iPhones and Androids have taken over, especially as they've encroached on the business market that was Blackberry's main foothold.

BB10 actually ooks decent and its cool that you seem really excited about it, but the chances of it regaining any of the marketshare it's already lost look pretty slim.
Old 02-02-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's hardly it at all. People are just being realistic about the free fall that RIM/Blackberry has been in over the last few years as iPhones and Androids have taken over, especially as they've encroached on the business market that was Blackberry's main foothold.

BB10 actually ooks decent and its cool that you seem really excited about it, but the chances of it regaining any of the marketshare it's already lost look pretty slim.
I'm just saying people should try it out... and don't let the past or marketing decide something for them. Blackberry has an uphill climb with the mindshare. People think of a Blackberry device as being outdated - and I agreed with them 100%. That's changed now though, the company just needs to make people aware of it.

I like what I've tried of it so far, but I haven't purchased it yet - or any phone. "Excited" is probably too strong a word for it - it's just a phone afterall and I never understood how personally some people take their own or someone else's choice of phone.
Old 02-02-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had a couple Blackberry's, a Bold (I think) and the Torch. Hated the Torch personally. The Bold was okay at the time I got it but I don't really miss it. I think their new offering looks okay but they're a bit late to the game if you ask me. They should have made something like this (or at least attempted) years back when brands like Apple and Android were starting to gain popularity. At this point I'm sure some people still use them and I know they're a popular phone for businessmen but I think at this point they probably won't expand their market share to the casual user. Personally I'm fine with my Windows Phone but even if I had to get something else I really think they'd be on the bottom of my list to go back to.
Old 02-02-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have used a blackberry for more than 10 years. I started with a model 850 and pretty much upgraded once a year or every other year to the newer model ever since.

I like them, they do what I need well (I have no need for a bunch of trendy apps). I need phone, I need email (lots and lots of email) and I need SMS and I need it to be SECURE and reliable. I like a real keyboard, trying to use the virtual keyboard annoys the hell out of me.

In 10 + years, I can count on one hand the number of days I went to use my BB and it didn't work (this is of course coupled with a corporate based Exchange server running BES : read that as no failures on the back end). My BB has been dropped and kicked a thousand times.

That said, I think RIM missed the boat with regards to being trendy and giving people what they want (no matter how unnecessary the toys are in the business world)

I hope they make a come back, but who knows, we will see how these new models sell in the next year. So far they don't look like real competition for the iphone or many of the android and windows phone devices, but as someone said above, if they do what people NEED and they do ti well, it might save them for a little while longer.

Apple has no idea how to provide secure communications, but fortunately for them, there are some 3rd party apps available now to fill that void. This is why you are starting to see idevices in the business world and was really the one thing that RIM had that no one else did.
Old 02-02-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm just saying people should try it out... and don't let the past or marketing decide something for them. Blackberry has an uphill climb with the mindshare. People think of a Blackberry device as being outdated - and I agreed with them 100%. That's changed now though, the company just needs to make people aware of it.

I like what I've tried of it so far, but I haven't purchased it yet - or any phone. "Excited" is probably too strong a word for it - it's just a phone afterall and I never understood how personally some people take their own or someone else's choice of phone.
I don't disagree with you, but I thought it was ironic because your original post raving about the Z10 made you sound like those that you're criticizing, even if that wasn't your intention.

Regardless, it's not all about people judging Blackberry about the past as quite frankly, the reviews for the Z10 have come to a similar conclusion that while its a nice refresh for Blackberry it also isn't anything particularly strong or unique that makes them standout over Android or iOs, and a tough sell to make someone switch if they already have a high end smart phone.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.