Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Itunes question

Old 01-15-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Itunes question

I had to do a full system restore on my computer. when i go into sync my iphone into itunes, how can i make sure that the phone doesn't reset everything and i lose everything. I have prob 1300 songs and don't have the energy to redownload everything
Old 01-16-13, 07:52 AM

Re: Itunes question

Were you able to save the itunes folder from the previous system installation? Install itunes, run it once so it creates the default folder (without plugging the phone in). Quit, overwrite the itunes folder with your backup. Launch itunes again, it should be back the way it was with all your music and playlists. If so, connect your phone and it shouldn't know anything has happened. I've had to do this many times for friends.
Old 01-16-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Were you able to save the itunes folder from the previous system installation? Install itunes, run it once so it creates the default folder (without plugging the phone in). Quit, overwrite the itunes folder with your backup. Launch itunes again, it should be back the way it was with all your music and playlists. If so, connect your phone and it shouldn't know anything has happened. I've had to do this many times for friends.
nope. windows wouldn't back up. Didn't get a chance to save anything.
Old 01-17-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
nope. windows wouldn't back up. Didn't get a chance to save anything.
Do you have the files backed up anywhere? When you resync with the new itunes install it will wipe your ipod. There's are third party programs that can retrieve them from the ipod before you resyncing.
Old 01-17-13, 10:22 AM

You should be given an option to sync or not sync when you plug the phone back in. If it doesn't make sure the option for "manually manage music and videos" is checked. It's on the main device screen under the Options heading.

I haven't tried this program specifically but a quick google search:

http://www.getsharepod.com/

That should allow you to transfer the music from the phone to the computer. Once you do, reimport into itunes, make sure it's all there and working then uncheck the option above and resync the phone.