Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Will you ever buy a standard desktop PC for personal use again?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-11-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We were discussing this in the office after someone brought in a desktop touchscreen PC with the CPU/Motherboard etc built into the monitor. Would you ever buy a standard Tower case PC/monitor setup again for your own use.

I don't think I will.
Old 01-11-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will you ever buy a standard desktop PC for personal use again?

Kinda discussed pros and cons in an earlier thread:

What's the big deal with touchscreens and all-in-one desktop computers?
Old 01-11-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, since I like to build and customize my systems. I also already have a nice 27" monitor that I don't care to get rid of anytime soon, and not keen on a touchscreen large display.

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-11-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe. I recently got a really nice laptop and have been using it a lot more than my desktop since i take it into different rooms. Now i can play WoW or surf the net while in the living room keeping an eye on my kids.
Old 01-11-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just did a few months ago. I needed a new desktop, and I'm not a fan of laptops, so there you have it.
Old 01-11-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably not, since there's a lot more laptops than desktops to pick from now. Not interested in touchscreen desktops. I probably will even use a laptop for streaming / HTPC use.
Old 01-11-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of having an all-in-one where if one of the parts goes bad or gets outdated, you have to replace the whole system. Unless we're just talking cheaper all-in-ones that you expect to replace very so often. That's a problem with laptops but at least they're portable.

On a personal level, I haven't upgraded or even used my desktop much in years, but that's mainly because I'm not a big PC gamer. I am thinking about getting a new one primarily to play games, though. The bulk of my storage is on networked drives anyway. And I guess I do have a small desktop for my HTPC.
Old 01-11-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I prefer desktops. I like having the keyboard as a separate unit from the system. I also prefer a real monitor instead of a laptop screen because of viewing angles.

You also have more options with a desktop, like adding hard drives and optical drives.
Old 01-11-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Desktop. I put together my own computer, since some manuf use proprietary parts. That way, if something goes bad, I can fix it easier. I don't really see the point of aio computer , unless you are really tight on space.
Old 01-11-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, as long as I'm playing games on it. I'm also pretty spoiled by things like a large monitor, mechanical keyboard, and gaming mouse. I know you can add those to a laptop, but by the time you do that it seems like you might as well just have a desktop.

I also like being able to use a lot of storage without making so much of it external. Some laptops don't even have room for 2 hard drives, and I like to have a SSD and another HDD for mass storage.
Old 01-11-13, 04:25 PM

I just bought a new desktop as the "home base" computer and I like that. It looks great, runs great, has a bunch of hard drives in it so it can hold all of our media and archives, two-monitor set up for simultaneous work on one and Netflix on the other, nice big keyboard with no size constraints, and I never get worried I'm running a desktop too long and it overheating the way I sometimes think about my laptop Probably uninformed on that last one but the desktop doesn't get moved around everyday like the laptop that gets hauled off to class for notetaking, the coffee shop for paper writing, work for presentations, and so on.
Old 01-11-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. The ability to upgrade and obtain cheap processing power makes it too logical for what I do to ignore.
Old 01-11-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, that is where the best bang for your buck exists and it affords you the most powerful system configuration. They also have good airflow so they last longer. All in one PCs (including the iMac) are almost universally underpowered pieces of shit that run hot and burn out quickly. I've had two iMacs in the last 8 years, and while I do like them, they both had serious issues, undoubtedly as a result of poor airflow and overheating. I also like being able to upgrade desktops, whereas all in ones basically require you to buy a whole new machine. All in ones look sexy, but that's about their only strength IMO.

Buying a custom PC from a boutique seller is probabaly the best way to go.
Old 01-11-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The other thing is computer components go on sale all the time, so long as you are not picky,you can get a budget pc put together for pretty chEap. And once you have it, you can upgrade parts every once in a while or replace as they break.
Old 01-11-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course. Need the power and like the fact that it can hold multiple drives. Plus it's a better deal than a laptop...the question for me, is would I ever own a laptop for personal use again? (Since I like a desktop and use a tablet). Probably not.
Old 01-11-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wrong forum to ask I guess.

Yeah, I built my two home desktops. I just keep upgrading my "gaming" desktop every other year or so. My "family" desktop is good enough with 5+ years old hardware. I just had to change the videocard last year. But oh yeah, we have iPads, iPhones, etc.

I actually want a Powerbook, but don't have use for it. I have one Dell laptop for work though.
Old 01-11-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just bought a new rig for my gaming, development, and home streaming needs. All in ones will not be on my horizon anytime soon. Also, vulva is exempt
Old 01-11-13, 07:54 PM

Absolutely... I don't see myself without a desktop PC anytime in the near future. In fact I'm about ready to upgrade my system... Just waiting for the right sale on the CPU.
Old 01-11-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny seeing this thread as just a couple of months ago I got rid of my desktop for a decent laptop - I won't ever get a desktop again...I only go to a few sites and only need a computer for banking or looking for a job so a laptop is perfect for me.
Old 01-12-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, my next computer is definitely going to be a laptop. I don't like being anchored to a desk.
Old 01-12-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My last two computers have been laptops. Love the portability and they both play the latest games with no problems.
Old 01-12-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For they way I use my computer, a laptop just wouldn't work as my main rig.

My tower is connected to my monitor and my AV receiver. It's as much a part of my entertainment center as my cable box. I don't feel I'm tied to my desk, as I have a wireless keyboard, mouse and I have it tied into my Harmony remote.

Laptops are nice, but I'd never use one as my primary system.
Old 01-12-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like having a desktop and a laptop. I like being able to do all my iTunes, banking, movie storing at my desktop with removable hard drive, so they'll still be in my future for now.
Old 01-12-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course... rather a silly question around these parts. I will be putting together desktops for as long as there are parts to assemble. I think *our klnd* are in the minority, though, and I'll give the PC components business only around 10 more years... at commodity prices. There will always be components to buy, but they'll become hard to find, and prices will skyrocket because of that. Blame the tablet craze and cell phone mania for killing of the hobbyist trade.
Old 01-13-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even though I haven't built my own rig in over a decade, haven't upgraded any of the components of my now 6 year old system, and no longer do any heavy applications like gaming and video editing I still can't see myself abandoning a desktop tower as my primary system. I guess I just like knowing that I can still do any of those things if I so choose.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.