Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Want to add second wireless router to network, can anyone help?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-28-12, 01:51 PM

Hey guys, here's my setup:

Broadband router and Linksys WRT54G in the basement of three level home. Xbox, PC, and Directv receiver are all hardwired to router. Cat5 cable also routed to 1st floor and connected to second Xbox.

I get a pretty decent wireless signal throughout the basement and 1st floor but the second floor the signal is fair to weak. It's ok for browsing the internet but it stinks for streaming via the Roku (I think the LT version, the one with only wireless).

I was wondering if I could add a Netgear N600 I have laying around. Ideally add it on the first floor where the Cat5 is and then still connect the Xbox there (and also hardwire the AppleTV) and get a better wireless signal on the second floor.

Is this possible, and if so, could someone walk the techno-newb through the steps?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-12, 01:58 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Want to add second wireless router to network, can anyone help?

No problem, you just want to use it as an access point, not a router.

Just plug a CAT5 cable from the Linksys into one of the Netgear's LAN (not WAN) ports, in setup disable the router part, and configure the wireless part to be on a different channel and have a different SSID than your Linksys.
Old 12-28-12, 02:09 PM

Thanks! How do I get into the Netgear setup?

Sorry for such stupid questions!
Old 12-28-12, 02:42 PM
X
Administrator

Look at the instructions. Usually you hardwire a computer to it and browse to an IP they specify in the instructions. Your computer needs to be on the same subnet as the Netgear.
Old 12-28-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by montag View Post
Thanks! How do I get into the Netgear setup?

Sorry for such stupid questions!
According to the n600 manual:

To access your router:
1.Connect to the wireless router by typing http://www.routerlogin.net in the address field of your browser, and then press Enter.

Connect to the wireless router by typing any one of these three URLs in the address field of your browser, then pressing Enter:
http://www.routerlogin.net
http://www.routerlogin.com
http://192.168.1.1

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN..._25MAR2010.pdf
Old 12-28-12, 05:53 PM

Ok, can I still access the Netgear if it is connected in line after the Linksys and only connected by the LAN input?
Old 12-28-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you can try. it doesn't hurt. if it doesn't work, disconnect the line between the linksys and netgear.
Old 12-28-12, 07:13 PM

Ok, I have the net gear connected and can see the ssids for both the Linksys and the Net gear. Now if I run a cat5 to my xbox and my AppleTV will I get full wired performance?

One other issue, on my laptop I can not see the ssid for the Net gear and when I connect to the Linksys it connects to the home network but says there is no Internet access. It was working fine before I added the Net gear.
Old 12-28-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Login to the new router.

Disable the DHCP server on the new router.

Change the local LAN IP address of the new router to something on your same existing network (but not the same as your existing router). For example, if your existing local network is 192.168.10.x, then change the new router local LAN IP address to something like 192.168.10.20 (make sure it's outside the existing DHCP range of your existing network).

Your new router will probably reboot at this point, and you will need to access it at the new IP address your assigned. At this point, you can plug it into your existing wired network. Plug it into one of the LAN ports on the new router. You will not be using the WAN port on the new router, so I suggest you put tape over it so no one uses it.

Now, re-login to the new router's admin interface. Change the wireless settings so that it has the same SSID as your existing wireless, and the same encryption (including password) as your existing wireless, but a DIFFERENT wireless channel. This will allow you to roam seamlessly from access point to access point without having to reconnect.

That's it.
Old 12-29-12, 08:05 AM

I think I have everything working now. Thanks so much to all of you for your quick help!
Old 12-29-12, 08:06 AM

One more quick question, can I use the other three LAN ports on this new router to hook up to my devices such as my second Xbox and my Apple TV?
Old 12-29-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes.
Old 12-29-12, 11:56 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Now, re-login to the new router's admin interface. Change the wireless settings so that it has the same SSID as your existing wireless, and the same encryption (including password) as your existing wireless, but a DIFFERENT wireless channel. This will allow you to roam seamlessly from access point to access point without having to reconnect.
Interesting about keeping the same SSID.

I don't do that so I have a choice of networks and I don't really "roam" around the house (although all parts of the house get each wireless signal). I have different wireless units so I can even out the usage between different users (like stay off the one the son uses for gaming). But the same SSID could work nicely for other people.