Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question About MP3 CDs and Formatting

Old 12-20-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question About MP3 CDs and Formatting

I'm wanting to make a MP3 CD with separate files for artists/albums to play on my car CD/MP3 CD player. Is it possible to make a data CD with files that are strictly MP3s for each folder, and have that be playable? Or is there some special formatting for an "MP3 CD" that I'm not aware of? I know that iTunes can make MP3 CDs but there's no way *I know of* that can separate the artists/albums into separate files.

Your input is highly valued. Thank you!
Old 12-20-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Question About MP3 CDs and Formatting

An MP3 CD is simply a standard PC-formatted CD-ROM (ISO 9660) disc. You can simply burn MP3 files onto a disc like you would any other data CD-R. You can organize them into folders or whatever.

Now, whether that will be supported by your player or not will vary from player to player. Different players have differing levels of being able to play back these kinds of CD-ROMs. Some of them might not look in folders, some might have filename length limits and will not recognize files with long filenames. Some might read ID3 tags and some might not. It all depends on your player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3_CD
Old 12-20-12, 09:52 PM

I used to do this but finally gave up and purchased a cheap, but good, MP3 player to do the same task. I got tired of messing with cd's that were constantly getting scratched and only being able to fit 700 MB on each one.

The sansa clip zip is nice and can use up to a 64 gb micro sd card. This gives you 4gb base memory and 68 gb total for about 70 bucks. I think the player is about $30 on Amazon usually and you can install Rockbox on it to make it much better than the stock firmware (www.rockbox.org)
Old 12-22-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Excellent advice! I've been looking for a cheap, good quality mp3 player which will run with Rockbox firmware. Thank you.
Old 12-26-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AdamGott View Post
I used to do this but finally gave up and purchased a cheap, but good, MP3 player to do the same task. I got tired of messing with cd's that were constantly getting scratched and only being able to fit 700 MB on each one.

The sansa clip zip is nice and can use up to a 64 gb micro sd card. This gives you 4gb base memory and 68 gb total for about 70 bucks. I think the player is about $30 on Amazon usually and you can install Rockbox on it to make it much better than the stock firmware (www.rockbox.org)
That's assuming he has a way to connect an MP3 player to his car stereo. If he doesn't have some sort of connector, he'd have to rely on an FM transmitter, which don't always work very well. Don't get me wrong, I would agree that an MP3 player is a great solution in general, but only if the car stereo can actually use it.

As for putting MP3s into folders on CDs, it really depends on the software of the player you're using. Some can handle folders, while others need the files to just be put straight on the disc. It all depends on how advanced the software is. I had a very early MP3 CD player and it wasn't as capable as the player I later replaced it with. I believe the first one couldn't handle folders, but the second one could.

But to be honest my memory is fuzzy on the whole thing as I haven't burned an MP3 disc in over 6 years. I bought an iPod and haven't burned a CD since.