Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Google Music adds Scan-and-Match

Old 12-18-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Google Music adds Scan-and-Match

Google Music adds Scan-and-Match tech to its service for uploading tracks:
http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/18/goo...re-in-the-u-s/

Basically, instead of having to upload the full file, Google Music scans the file to see if it matches a track already in their catalog. If it does, they give you access to that track on their service, saving you the upload, and possibly in better quality than what you have.

This is similar to both iTunes Match and Amazon's Cloud Player, although both of those cost money to use (Amazon does allow 250 free tracks). Google Music allows up to 20,000 tracks for free. Also, Google's match is at 320kbps, while iTunes Match and Amazon are both 256kbps.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200914180
Old 12-18-12, 04:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Google Music adds Scan-and-Match

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Google's match is at 320kbps, while iTunes Match and Amazon are both 256kbps.
Nice.
I may actually finally use Google Music to store my albums that aren't in Spotify already.
Old 12-18-12, 07:37 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google
Old 12-18-12, 07:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Any of you have recommendations for a good Google Music player on iOS? I didn't really like the one I tried so far iirc.
Old 12-18-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Google really should offer the tracks in FLAC or uncompressed WAV (1411 kbps) to stand out. MP3s sound terrible, even at 320 kbps when compared to the uncompressed source.
Old 12-18-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Google really should offer the tracks in FLAC or uncompressed WAV (1411 kbps) to stand out. MP3s sound terrible, even at 320 kbps when compared to the uncompressed source.
With the Scan-and-Match feature, they could theoretically upgrade the tracks to lossless at some point in the future.

That said, I think they're primarily focused around streaming the music or quick downloading to a portable device. The bitrate on uncompressed is a bit much, especially on a mobile data plan.

Finally, there's strong evidence to suggest that people simply can't tell the difference between a lossy-compressed track at a high enough bitrate and a lossless one. Here's a recent experiment where lossless, 320kps, and 192kbps were all rated about the same in terms of quality:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...xperiment.html
Old 12-19-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty cool. Since it's free and such high capacity, I will actually use this. (I currently use Amazon's cloud player, but just for music that I have purchased there.) Guess I won't delete that preinstalled Play Music app from my new phone after all.

BTW, the Play store is offering a live version of the Rolling Stones' "Beast of Burden" from 1982 for free today. (My first "purchase" there!)
Old 12-19-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
No, they actually don't. I'm guessing you've never tried to ABX MP3s from FLACs. Also, WAV and FLAC are bit-for-bit identical when decoded, so WAV is an even sillier suggestion.
Old 12-19-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With the Scan-and-Match feature, they could theoretically upgrade the tracks to lossless at some point in the future.

That said, I think they're primarily focused around streaming the music or quick downloading to a portable device. The bitrate on uncompressed is a bit much, especially on a mobile data plan.

Finally, there's strong evidence to suggest that people similar ply can't tell the difference between a lossy-compressed track at a high enough bitrate and a lossless one. Here's a recent experiment where lossless, 320kps, and 192kbps were all rated about the same in terms of quality:
I don't think too many people are gonna use this on tiered data plans, at 320, you are probably gonna get less than 15 hours of streaming before you hit 2gb, and that does not even factor in other data usage. Personally, I'm on unlimited unthrottled 4glte, so bandwidth doesn't matter too much to me.
Old 12-19-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
I don't think too many people are gonna use this on tiered data plans, at 320, you are probably gonna get less than 15 hours of streaming before you hit 2gb, and that does not even factor in other data usage. Personally, I'm on unlimited unthrottled 4glte, so bandwidth doesn't matter too much to me.
Even with unlimited data, you still have to worry about the bandwidth. You may be in a non-4G, or even possibly non-3G area. In order to stream, the audio bitrate has to be under the dl speed you're currently getting. Google Music can stream at lower bitrates if needed, but 320kbps is probably the highest bitrate one would reasonably want to stream at anyway:
http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1391343
Old 12-19-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even with unlimited data, you still have to worry about the bandwidth. You may be in a non-4G, or even possibly non-3G area. In order to stream, the audio bitrate has to be under the dl speed you're currently getting. Google Music can stream at lower bitrates if needed, but 320kbps is probably the highest bitrate one would reasonably want to stream at anyway:
http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1391343
I guess it depends on where you are. 99% of the time, I am in a 4glte area. 320kbps should be achievable on even a moderate 3g connection. If you have a piss poor 3g or worse, then it could be an issue.
Old 12-19-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
I guess it depends on where you are. 99% of the time, I am in a 4glte area. 320kbps should be achievable on even a moderate 3g connection. If you have a piss poor 3g or worse, then it could be an issue.
Right, 320kbps is achievable, but 1411kbps WAV is overkill, and FLAC can vary from 400-900kbps.

320kbps is the highest bitrate for the MP3 and AAC standards, so it's basically the highest bitrate Google can get with a lossy codec.
Old 12-19-12, 05:26 PM

Is there a way to stream at a lower quality? The only time I stream music is when I am camping and at a low volume with a mono speaker...so sound quality doesn't matter to me much.
Old 12-19-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
Is there a way to stream at a lower quality? The only time I stream music is when I am camping and at a low volume with a mono speaker...so sound quality doesn't matter to me much.
Just make sure not to check the steam at high quality box in the Settings.
Old 12-19-12, 11:54 PM

Cool thanks.
Old 12-20-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How does it works?

I downloaded Google Music, and only have an Upload button, and it tries to upload all my music. It doesn't try to match.
Old 12-20-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
How does it works?

I downloaded Google Music, and only have an Upload button, and it tries to upload all my music. It doesn't try to match.
While it only says "upload," it's doing matching in the background. You'll notice that the track "uploads" fly by at first as it does the matching, then when it reaches the tracks it has to actually upload, the upload speed drops considerably.
Old 12-31-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was listening to one of my albums today and Google Music played the Edited Version of the album instead of the Explicit Version which is what I actually owned/uploaded. I haven't checked out other albums, but I'm guessing this is the norm when it comes to Scan-and-Match.
Old 12-31-12, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post

Was listening to one of my albums today and Google Music played the Edited Version of the album instead of the Explicit Version which is what I actually owned/uploaded. I haven't checked out other albums, but I'm guessing this is the norm when it comes to Scan-and-Match.
This isn't an issue with just Google Music. iTunes Match has had the same issue since launch:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=90&tstart=0

This article mentions a fix for Google Music:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indus...08061842.story
Google Music actually offers an easy way to correct any problems in the matching process. Right-clicking a song or selecting the drop-down menu available next to every song title (look for the small triangle) leads to a menu option called "Fix Incorrect Match." That option will allow the user to upload a particular version of a song and override Google's matched version.
Amazon Cloud Player has a similar "fix incorrect match" feature. iTunes Match is missing it.

Also, the reverse is sometimes true:
http://bgr.com/2012/12/26/google-mus...-songs-268902/
Interestingly enough, other users have reported the exact opposite and are seeing Google replace clean songs with explicit versions.
Old 12-31-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good to know, but that's still sort of inconvenient to have to go through song by song to correct the problem. I'll just stick with Subsonic as my main player.
Old 02-21-13, 08:01 AM

So when I first set this up i just let Google add whatever it wanted (I have over 40k songs). I thought I probably wouldn't use it much and figured I would just gradually delete stuff and add what I wanted. Well turns out i Love it but deleting songs and full cds is a pain in the ass. So I figured I would delete everything and then manually add what I wanted. Well now it shows everything that was deleted plus the new stuff I added (on my phone and tablet, the Web player is fine) . How the he'll do I make it go away. I emptied the trash on the Web player and the deleted songs don't play.

Also is there a way to add just 1song from a cd? It only let's me add folders.

Last edited by chino77; 02-21-13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-21-13, 08:03 AM

Double post
Old 02-21-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1260049
You can quickly select multiple songs to delete when using your computer to access your music on Google Play. Select a song, hold down the 'Shift' key and select another song in the list to select a range of songs. To multi-select individual songs throughout the list, hold down the 'Ctrl' (Windows) or 'Command' (Mac) key while selecting.

...When you remove such content, we will store it for 28 days. You can access your deleted songs by clicking the gear in the top right corner of the Google Play web player, and selecting Music trash. From here, you can undelete or permanently delete music content by clicking on the song and clicking UNDELETE or PERMANENTLY DELETE in the top righthand corner.

Please note that once you permanently delete, the content and related data (e.g., stored play counts) will be disassociated from your account. There may be some delay before our systems fully process your removal request. In addition, if this content was purchased from Google Play, the only way to retrieve it is to repurchase the content.

If you're deleting music to free up storage space, you may be interested in instructing the Google Play Music Manager to only add specific songs from your collection. To do so, move your preferred songs to a separate folder and set the Music Manager to add music from this folder.
An addedum to the last paragraph: If you have enough space on your drive, you can copy the single tracks to a separate folder, then after Google Music Manager uploads them, just delete them from the folder. That way, you'll have the music on your system in their original folders and on Google Play, without having to mess with moving the tracks back and forth.

Also, if your phone and tablet are Android, you can go into Manage Applications in Settings and clear the cache for the Google Music app. That should cause it to redownload the library listing and get rid of the deleted songs (although it will also possibly deleted any pinned music on the device).
Old 02-21-13, 08:28 AM

Yeah I meant it was a pain to delete lots of songs and full albums from my devices.

I thought about copying songs to another folder but wasn't sure if it would work. I wasn't thinking about it being cloud and not accessing my pc to stream. I guess I will try that out.

Oh and I refreshed about 50 times, it didn't do a thing on both my s3 or nexus 7. Another weird thing is that the new stuff I added doesn't show up in recent on my s3 but it does on my nexus 7. Actually I just checked my phone and it doesn't show any of the new songs anywhere.
Old 02-21-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Clearing the app cache is different than the built-in library refresh feature in the app. It's basically similar to completely uninstalling the app and reinstalling it, since with a cleared cache an app acts like it was just installed.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.