Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cable modem question

Old 12-14-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cable modem question

I have twc and they started charging a $4 fee for leasing a cable modem. I have the legacy 15m/2m data plan which twc classifies as turbo. The current standard plan is 15/1. The new turbo plan is 20m/2, however, they would charge me more than the $40 I am now paying and 15 or 20 doesn't make any real difference to me. Since I have a few ip cams, VoIP, and use video chat, the up is more important than the down. I do stream to my new iPad , but the bandwidth is pretty low, well within the 15m down. In the future, I may upgrade to a 5m up package, but I see no reason to up the down speed, although I understand that their package would naturally increase download speed when upload speed is increased.

Anyway, the reason why I bring that up is because twc requires certain docsis 3 modems for turbo. Ironically, they leased me a Cisco 2100 which is a docsis 2 modem for turbo when as I said above none of their modems approved for turbo are docsis 2.

Now, with that said, I saw the sb6121 for $78 with $30 gc,so essentially $48. Now, i can get the sb6141 for $78 but though eBay, which I hate as if I wanted to return, I would have to pay return shipping and a 25% restocking fee. So my question is for my needs taking into account future expansion, say 50/5, as I understand it, the sb6121 is plenty capable. Would there be any reason for me to get the sb6141? I understand that the sb6141 has 8 bonded channels down, but, the speed difference doesn't really matter to me as 50/5 is well within the sb6121 capabilities. Is twc in the next say 5 years going to stop supporting docsis 3 modems with 4 channels down?

Any other thoughts or considerations ?

List of twc approved modems

Turbo, Extreme and Ultimate Service Plans

Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Netgear* CMD31T
Motorola SB6121
Zoom 5341J

Lite, Basic and Standard Service Plans
Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB5101
Motorola SB5101U
Motorola SBG901
Netgear* CMD31T
Motorola SB6121
Zoom 5341J
Old 12-15-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Cable modem question

ended up getting the sb6121.

looks like there is no speed boost, but other than that, works fine.

Old 12-15-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
ended up getting the sb6121.

looks like there is no speed boost, but other than that, works fine.

you probably need to have it re-provisioned. That's what the problem was when I got a new modem. It has to do with the configuration file from the cable company.

sometimes power cycling the modem will dl the new file, otherwise you can probably call the cable company and tell them you got a new modem.

the way I got mine provisioned was a guy on (I think) broadbandreports.com who worked for Comcast did it for me personally.
Old 12-15-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guess i will try to call to see what they say. Wiki says that docsis 3 modems on twc doesn't have power boost. My old modem was docsis2. I have a 15/2 package, and speeds seem spot on. I also noticed that my speeds are much faster than peek hours, normally it drops to 4-7, now I get over 10. Granted, I only had the modem for a few days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable_Internet