Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Microsoft Security Essentials fails latest AV-Test

Old 12-05-12, 06:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Microsoft Security Essentials fails latest AV-Test

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4...415&s_cid=e415

An excerpt from the article:
In a month of uneven Windows 8 news and reviews, Microsoft is taking another hit. This time, its freeware Security Essentials finds itself in the crosshairs.

Independent German security suite evaluators AV-Test.org publish bimonthly tests that rate the effectiveness of the biggest Windows security suites out there, and the recently published results showed that MSE failed to earn certification on the most recent test. MSE was the only suite to fail out of the 24 suites tested on Windows 7 during September and October.

"Microsoft is offering a baseline protection with MSE. However, the majority of free and paid security offerings from 3rd parties includes a better protection against current threats," wrote Andreas Marx, CEO of Av-Test.org, in an e-mail to CNET. The low scores in the "Protection" category, he wrote, are "especially related" to the low blocking rates against zero-day malware. MSE stopped only two-thirds of them, whereas many competitors did significantly better. Marx explained that blocking zero-days is "the most important feature in today's protection mechanisms," since more than 90 percent of malware comes from Web sites distributed by downloads or e-mail attachments.

Just so you know. -kd5-
Old 12-05-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials fails latest AV-Test

Annoying since almost all the other decent free AV software out there has begin looking like Malware itself.
Old 12-05-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Avast! Home Edition, but I've often recommended MSE because it's so unobtrusive and it's from a company people recognize. However, it seems like with Windows Defender, MS initially released a solid product but doesn't put the effort in to maintain it.
Old 12-05-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, I've abandoned every thing else for MSE but now if they're not putting any effort into it I'm going to have to go back to AVG.
Old 12-05-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

AVG is awful. Last time I used it the free version was just nonstop nagging to upgrade to the paid version.
Old 12-05-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

here we go again...

My AV tool is better than yours neener neener

Spoiler:

truth is, they all fail
Old 12-05-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They do all fail, but to varying degrees, and not all in the same way.

For example, www.AV-Test.org tests three things: Protection, Repair, and Usability, with different software getting different scores in each category.
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/sepoct-2012/

Another site I like, www.av-comparatives.org , does separate tests for different features, the big ones being Real-World Protection, File Detection, Proactive Protection, False Alarms, Performance, and Malware Removal. Their testing, using real-world malicious URLs, show that some AV programs can block over 99% of malware (Avast! Free most recently score just under at 98.4%). Some of the more protective ones may have a price in terms of performance though, or false-positives. And of course, some of the better ones simply cost money.

For me, the combination of Chrome and Avast! Free works well enough for me, doesn't seem to drag down the performance of my system, and is very usable and doesn't nag non-stop to upgrade to the paid version. Other people's priorities and preferences may differ, but that doesn't mean that their preferred AV solution is better or worse than mine.