Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wall outlet with USB ports

Old 11-30-12, 03:25 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wall outlet with USB ports

I am thinking to buy this thing. It has 2 USB fast charging ports rated at 2.1A.

Would that damage some phones and tablets that may not be rated that high? I looked at the USB wall plugs of my phones, and they typically say 1A.
Old 11-30-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Wall outlet with USB ports

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
I am thinking to buy this thing. It has 2 USB fast charging ports rated at 2.1A.

Would that damage some phones and tablets that may not be rated that high? I looked at the USB wall plugs of my phones, and they typically say 1A.
You would be fine, the device will only take the max the device will take. For example, my Droid Razr Maxx, Galaxy SIII, and Rezound would only charge at 1a, even when connected to a 2 a charger.
Old 11-30-12, 05:15 PM

That's brilliant!

Would actually consider getting one of those. I do wonder about whether there's a way to cover them because of our toddler. Risk of shock via USB ports in a wall socket like that?
Old 11-30-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That little outlet is cool to have.
Old 11-30-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
That's brilliant!

Would actually consider getting one of those. I do wonder about whether there's a way to cover them because of our toddler. Risk of shock via USB ports in a wall socket like that?
Much less risk than the higher voltage sockets. USB is 5v and LOW amps not going to be dangerous.

Just for giggles I looked on amazon and they do make USB covers:

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Protective.../dp/B000AA2OWM
Old 11-30-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a link for Amazon - same product, but with more pictures and some (38) reviews of it - oh, cheaper too. Sounds good!

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Plug-N-Power-Charging-charging-Generation/dp/B005MR57R2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354319377&sr=8-1&keywords=targus+plug+%26+power
Old 12-01-12, 08:18 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks D. Pham. I got it yesterday and so far there is no smoke coming out of my phone and my tablet yet, so I guess it's OK.

Be aware that there is a bright green light on top that could be bothersome if you have it in your bedroom, but mine is hidden by a nightstand. It also takes up the space of 2 regular outlet plugs.
Old 12-01-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks D. Pham. I got it yesterday and so far there is no smoke coming out of my phone and my tablet yet, so I guess it's OK.

Be aware that there is a bright green light on top that could be bothersome if you have it in your bedroom, but mine is hidden by a nightstand. It also takes up the space of 2 regular outlet plugs.
Android has apps to see how many amps you are charging at.
Old 12-01-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, that will be mine. Oh yes it will!
Old 12-01-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Here's a link for Amazon - same product, but with more pictures and some (38) reviews of it - oh, cheaper too. Sounds good!

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Plug-N-Power-Charging-charging-Generation/dp/B005MR57R2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354319377&sr=8-1&keywords= targus+plug+%26+power
The description seems to indicate that it may be a. 2a and 1a port, for 15w total.

The Plug-N-Power Charging Station features a 2-port hub capable of charging 2 USB-powered devices at the same time and features a 15 watt charging rate. What sets the Targus Slim Power Device apart from similar products is that the Targus device has the ability to fast charge an iPad and an iPhone simultaneously, while other devices charge an iPad at

a slower rate.
Old 12-01-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also

This portable

charging station features a

USB fast charger (2.1A) for

rapid charging of iPad and

tablets. This charging

station features 15 watts of

total USB power

http://www.targus.com/us/productdeta...=7&sku=APA21US
Old 12-02-12, 12:12 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am not sure how that works. The two USB ports look identical, and there is no label to differentiate them.

On the back of the plug, it says only that the USB ports are "5V, 2.1A". The box says: "2 USB ports, 5V, 2.1A shared, 10.2W max".

I don't understand this "shared" concept - does that mean if one side uses less, the other side can have more?
Old 12-02-12, 12:16 AM
X
Administrator

I don't understand this "shared" concept - does that mean if one side uses less, the other side can have more?
Probably. 5V times 2.1A equals 10.2W. If they're wired in parallel that's the total you should draw from the both of them simultaneously.
Old 12-02-12, 12:45 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found this article. Looks like the max you can have for USB is 2.1A, so if this plug supplies 10.2W max for both ports, that's as high as it can go.

I have been charging things overnight since I got it, so I don't know if the charging is faster than with my previous wall plugs (which came with the devices).
Old 12-02-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
Probably. 5V times 2.1A equals 10.2W. If they're wired in parallel that's the total you should draw from the both of them simultaneously.
Most likely. My droid Razr Maxx charger has 2 usb ports on it, but putting 2 devices on it makes it charge about half as fast, so this wall outlet device is probably similar.

Op:if you have 2 smartphones, then 2a is plenty for both. But if currently you are using the Apple 12w charger for 2 new ipads, then that would be 24w, and this wall outlet is only capable of 10.2w,so it would charge much slower.
Old 12-02-12, 01:17 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I found an identical product on Monoprice, for those who prefer to shop there.
Old 12-02-12, 02:07 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have 2 phones that have 1A charging plugs, and a Nexus tablet that came with a 2A plug.

The phone batteries are about 2000 mAh, and the tablet battery is 9000 mAh, so with 1A per USB port, the phone should be done in 2 hours and the tablet in 9 hours. If the 2A on this device is "shared" then I hope when the phone is done, the 1A remaining will go over to the tablet and help charge it faster. They should both be full by the time I wake up
Old 12-02-12, 01:53 PM

We decided that even though this is really cool we're going to hold off for now. Most of our outlets are behind furniture and we might as well use the chargers we use right now (we use a power strip). Plus, it looks like the three outlets are really just two if you have anything oversized and I'm surprised the two USB ports are parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular. Seems to me it would be better to have them up and down in order to allow room for any oversized USB devices.
Old 12-02-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are power strips with usb ports on them, if that is something that you prefer..
Old 12-02-12, 04:15 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
We decided that even though this is really cool we're going to hold off for now. Most of our outlets are behind furniture and we might as well use the chargers we use right now (we use a power strip). Plus, it looks like the three outlets are really just two if you have anything oversized and I'm surprised the two USB ports are parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular. Seems to me it would be better to have them up and down in order to allow room for any oversized USB devices.
This thing is quite large and covers two outlets on the wall. So effectively in return for 2 outlets, you get back 3 outlets and 2 USB ports. One other benefit for me is that I don't need USB plugs - I keep misplacing the ones supplied with my devices.
Old 12-02-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The PowerGen wall charger looks good. $15 for 3.1A/15w and $10 for 2.1A/10w.
http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Charg...ll+usb+charger
Old 12-27-12, 11:52 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is ingenious: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e81a/
Old 12-27-12, 12:15 PM
X
Administrator

Those wall outlets with the USB converter on all the time must waste electricity, just like if you kept two chargers plugged in all the time. I doubt they're smart enough to only turn on when something is plugged in.

I don't think I'd feel real secure about a low-priced piece of circuitry doing the voltage conversion within the walls either. I suppose the box the outlet is in is fireproof, but there's no indication if it's getting real hot by being overloaded or failing like there would be with an external charger.
Old 12-27-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great points there. I would *never* purchase one of these. The fire hazard along with the $20-$40 of wasted electricity a year simply make it untenable and just another stupid 'convenience' item...
Old 12-27-12, 07:16 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How did you calculate the wasted electricity?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.