Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Blu-Ray Optical Drive for PC

Old 11-29-12, 03:22 PM

Blu-Ray Optical Drive for PC

I have a new desktop tower and I want to put a blu ray optical drive in it. I've been reading reviews of several brands of varying prices and many people seem to be having trouble playing blu rays without some sort of special software (which usually ends up being expensive). I feel like I'm missing something here.

So I put in the blu ray optical drive and instead of using Windows Media Center I'll have to fire up another media playing software that specifically handles blu ray? Plus I need to buy it? Do drives have to be bundled with it?

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good internal drive and/or software?

This seems like a pedestrian question to me but I'm really confused and appreciate your help.
Old 11-29-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Blu-Ray Optical Drive for PC

I've had a Lite-On Blu-ray drive for a couple years now, and haven't had any issues playing the discs that i've tried. Mine came with a bundled version of PowerDVD to play Blu-ray and you'll need something like that, as Windows doesn't natively support it. I think most drives come with something last I checked, although they're often cheaper versions don't support things like multi-channel audio.
Old 11-29-12, 03:30 PM
X
Administrator

I have several LGs and never had a problem with them.
Old 11-29-12, 03:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Mine came with a bundled version of PowerDVD to play Blu-ray and you'll need something like that, as Windows doesn't natively support it. I think most drives come with something last I checked, although they're often cheaper versions don't support things like multi-channel audio.
Total Media Theatre 5 is also good. They often run promotions with 30 to 50% off sales. I believe TMT5 has the ability to work with Windows Media Center so the OP can play discs in WMC. I've never tried it that way, though.

As for internal optical drives, mine's an LG, but it also plays HD DVDs. It's no longer available, but the drive has been quite good to me so far.

edit: Found a coupon code for TMT5. Use ACTIVATION08 at arcsoft.com to get $30 off.
edit2: even better... SOFTTMT5 gets you 40% off.

Last edited by Dan; 11-29-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 04:12 PM
X
Administrator

I've received a free copy of PowerDVD with each LG I've bought. The one I got last week came with PowerDVD 10.
Old 11-29-12, 04:23 PM

Cool, thanks. Maybe it's just that there are more... loud (whiny) reviews on Amazon for BD drives than otherwise.

Any particular recommendations or the LG that fits my budget?
Old 12-01-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

I have an LG GGC-H20L drive that I bought around 3 years ago
the bundled version of powerdvd that came with it won't play the newest bluray discs so I had to get a newer version of the software
Old 12-01-12, 07:05 PM

I went with them LG Electronics 14x Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter WH14NS40. Says it comes with software and I'm hoping things go well, thank you.
Old 12-01-12, 08:28 PM
X
Administrator

So you got a Blu-ray burner, not just a reader?
Old 12-01-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
I've received a free copy of PowerDVD with each LG I've bought. The one I got last week came with PowerDVD 10.
Retail box versions of br players usually always come with software. Oem typically doesn't come with software
Old 12-01-12, 09:37 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Retail box versions of br players usually always come with software. Oem typically doesn't come with software
Every OEM I bought at Newegg did. Just look at the pictures of the item and read the description when you decide which one to buy.
Old 12-01-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about the ASUS BR burner that was on sale last week for 39 after MIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135252
That one is 59 AMIR. I think it's the same one. It says comes with Power2Go. Not sure if that's the BD software player.
Old 12-01-12, 11:01 PM
X
Administrator

I got that one. It had burning software but not player software. Interesting because Power2Go usually comes bundled with PowerDVD, but that burner was pretty burner-specific given the supplied software. The readers I've bought have all come with player software because they're pretty useless without it.