Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Are comupter companies shooting themselves in the foot?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-28-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just looked at the Toshiba, Sony & Dell websites and I see that Toshiba and Sony offer no laptops with Windows 7 pre-installed anymore. Dell, on the other hand, asks right off the bat - Windows 7 or Windows 8? With all of the very mixed reviews of Windows 8 it seems that a lot of people would prefer to buy a computer with Windows 7. So, what do you think? Are Toshiba and Sony shooting themselves in the foot by not offering potential buyers a choice of Windows 7 or Windows 8 as the OS? Are any other companies still offering buyers a choice besides Dell?

I know that personally I would not buy a Windows 8 machine. I tried a beta release of Windows 8 on my laptop and hated it - went back to Windows XP after 1 day. Now I am using Windows 7 and have no problems with it at all - like it as good as or better than XP. Why would I want to switch to Windows 8?
Old 11-28-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are comupter companies shooting themselves in the foot?

Nah, this was done for XP/Vista. I'm sure those people still using the same machines wish they had went with Vista as XP support is about to end and new software won't run on it. So with that in mind, best to get the latest - win 8.
Old 11-28-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In my opinion, Win 7 and Win 8 should co-exist for many years to come. Win 8 for an eye-candy, tablet-crazed world, and Win 7 for serious power users who want to get any work done.
Old 11-28-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

People will convert to Windows 8 in time; it's a bit jarring at first but honestly i think the majority of people will get over it and accept it on new PC's.
Old 11-28-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once you get past the touchscreen stuff isn't the core W8 pretty much an upgraded W7 ?

I'm building a system in the next month or so and was thinking of upgrading to 8 for $39 via the MS site. I've been using Vista since 2007 so anything is probably better lol.
Old 11-28-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Once you get past the touchscreen stuff isn't the core W8 pretty much an upgraded W7 ?
Yeah, pretty much. I chuckled a little when I read Zyzzle's post, because I find that Win 7 has the eye candy with Aero glass. I don't like the look of Windows 8 (even the desktop), but that's entirely subjective of course.

It will be interesting to see what Windows Blue is like. I was thinking of upgrading to Win 8 before the deadline ends, but now I'm not sure.
Old 11-28-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
I see that Toshiba and Sony offer no laptops with Windows 7 pre-installed anymore.
WRONG

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...oid=2000038185

I didn't spend the time to search Sony, but I am sure Win 7 is there somewhere.

Call in your order if you can't find what you want on the website. Many times you can ask them for a better deal via phone and they will hook you up.

Win 7 will be available for a while yet. XP is officially going end of life (end of support) April 2014 (already past end of sales), Vista EOL is April 2017

Windows 7 does not have an offical end of sales or end of life date yet.

Note that end of life (end of support) and end of sales are different items, end of support is the critical one.
Old 11-29-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shoot, my computer at work is still on xp.

Anyway, most people would want the latest os,even if it isn't as friendly to use.