Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Time Warner starts charging modem lease fee

Old 11-23-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time Warner starts charging modem lease fee

It's $4/month.

I wouldn't have started a thread except I just had a funny chat with TW. Right now I have the internet/phone/cable bundle and my TWC modem is also my VOIP box. So I asked if I could keep my phone service and use my own cable modem to avoid the lease fee. They said I would hook up my modem and they would supply a VOIP box. When I asked how to get a new VOIP box they said I would just keep my existing box.

So for now I'm paying a modem lease fee for a box they would give me for free if I had my own modem. Ridiculous.

Last edited by wmansir; 11-26-12 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Time Warner starts charging modem lease fee

i heard about this and have been checking my bill.
I don't have this $4 modem charge. (I live in nyc)
Old 11-26-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This just now started? It was like that when we had them 10 years ago and never went away when Brighthouse took over.

The fact you're using the same box is hilarious though
Old 11-26-12, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
i heard about this and have been checking my bill.
I don't have this $4 modem charge. (I live in nyc)
I do - also NYC. I thought about buying a modem - but DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the TWC approved list were $100++ -- it would take 3-4 years for the modem to pay for itself, and of course if it breaks before paying for itself… I am screwed. So, as angry as I am about this pure rip-off, on top of the already outrageous $100 per month for 50Mbps down/5 Mbps up service (in reality 40Mbps down).
Old 11-26-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be fine with a Docsis 2.0 modem, which I can get for under $30, but to add insult I'll also have to buy the equipment to split the line so I can hookup my new modem and keep the existing Voip/modem hooked up as well.

EDIT:TWC emailed me my chat transcript, here's part:

Me: I have a question about the new modem fee and using my own modem.
Victoria: Sure. Please go ahead.
Me: I have triple play, so what are my options regarding the phone.
Victoria: Do you want to make changes to your service?
Me: No, I was looking into buyig my own modem to avoid the new modem lease fee TWC implemented. I want to know if I can do that with my existing phone service.
Victoria: Yes, you can do that.
Me: Becuse right now my phone box is also my cable modem.
Victoria: Let me explain it to you.
Victoria: When you have both Internet and Phone with us, we provide you with a special modem called an Internet/eMTA which provides both Internet and Phone service through one device.
Victoria: Our lease charge is for the Internet modem, not for the phone modem. We are able to give you the option of bringing your own Internet modem, which means you will not incur the monthly Internet modem lease charge; however you will still need an eMTA to provide your phone service.
Victoria: We will allow you to bring your own Internet modem while still providing you an eMTA without charging a lease charge.
Me: So will I need to get a new eMTA?
Victoria: No. You can use the same eMTA modem that you have right now for phone.
Me: So, right now I have to pay $4/m for a box that I will get for free if I provide my own modem, that doesn't make much sense.
Victoria: That is right.
Victoria: Again, the charge we are applying is just for the internet part of the service and not the phone.
Victoria: So to use your internet connection and to avoid the extra cost you can bring in your internet modem.
Me: But it's the same box you'll give me for free for the phone
Victoria: Right.
Me: so why can't we just prentend I bought a modem I dont' need and just get rid of the fee.
Victoria: I am afraid it does not work that work.
Victoria: *work that way.

Last edited by wmansir; 11-26-12 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-26-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm also paying the "Modem Rental Fee" with Time Warner. It's a BS fee. I heard it's just disguised to raise rates.

It sucks because I was paying $29.99 per month under my new 12 month agreement. Now it's jumped up to $34.95 per month.
Old 11-26-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have learned to accept that the term "Fee" means "we just made up a reason to get more money from you".
Old 11-26-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Class-action suits challenge Time Warner's modem fees
November 15, 2012 12:50 pm
By MATT OLBERDING / Lincoln Journal Star

Two class-action lawsuits filed Wednesday seek to stop Time Warner Cable from charging Internet customers monthly fees to use a company-provided modem.

The lawsuits, filed simultaneously in New York and New Jersey, seek an injunction barring the "illegal" $3.95 monthly fee.

Steven L. Wittels, the lead lawyer for the class action, said the new fee violated Time Warner Cable's own customer agreements, which he says have language that prohibits the company from charging a modem fee.

"It's a massive, high-tech consumer fraud accomplished by low-tech methods," Wittels said in a news release.

Time Warner Cable, the cable provider in Lincoln and much of southeast Nebraska, disclosed the fee last month, and it took effect Nov. 1.

The company said at the time that such fees were an industry standard and that its fee was lower than those charged by most other providers.

Time Warner Cable has said it plans to use the revenue from the fees for modem maintenance, to service or replace damaged Internet modems and to enhance Internet services.

The lawsuit, however, alleges the modem fee is nothing more than a rate hike in disguise -- costing customers an additional $40 million per month -- and that the money will be used for infrastructure operating costs and new product development.

A Time Warner Cable spokesman declined comment on the suit, saying the company does not discuss pending litigation.

The company has more than 15 million customers in 29 states, nearly 11 million of which have Internet service, according to its most recent earnings report.

It's unclear how many customers are eligible for the class action, however, because some customers, such as those who have Time Warner's Signature Home package, are exempt from the modem fee.
http://journalstar.com/business/loca...dbc6ae8ce.html

It would be nice to see Time Warner Cable lose this one but who are we kidding?
Old 11-27-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called TWC about this since the charge started showing up on my bill, but I had actually purchased my own cable modem when I had initially signed up for internet. They said there is no history on the modem, but according to their records, the modem is theirs! The only way that I can get the charge taken off is if I can dig up the old receipt for the modem.

I've been looking to switch to Fios anyway. I guess it will just be sooner.
Old 11-27-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Bright House and no modem fee yet. Before BrightHouse, I was used to paying the rental fee to Charter and Cox cable.

I was reading about this a few months ago... I like what one guy said: "It's like a restaurant charging you to use their plates."
Old 12-01-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

I got hit with the charge on a bil that came 1 week after the post card
that's bullshit
I turned in my modem, if my next bill has a charge I'm raising hell

this is actually an increase in the fee not a new fee, they just hid the fee for the last couple years after they changed the bill format and raised rates. I still have old copies of bills and the fee used to be itemized
Old 12-03-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
this is actually an increase in the fee not a new fee, they just hid the fee for the last couple years after they changed the bill format and raised rates. I still have old copies of bills and the fee used to be itemized
I think it varies from franchise to franchise. In Hawaii, we've never had a modem rental fee until now. I think TWC is standardizing across all markets now.
Old 12-03-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work for TWC and even I get charged! :P

Free cable and internet otherwise.
Old 12-06-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
I called TWC about this since the charge started showing up on my bill, but I had actually purchased my own cable modem when I had initially signed up for internet. They said there is no history on the modem, but according to their records, the modem is theirs! The only way that I can get the charge taken off is if I can dig up the old receipt for the modem.

I've been looking to switch to Fios anyway. I guess it will just be sooner.
I actually found my receipt AND the work order for when I got internet installed. The work order states that they installed user's own modem, and the guy who installed it had written down the mac address of the modem, which matches what is on my box and what TWC has in their records.

I went to the local office with this info and they are giving me the runaround that only someone in the warehouse can confirm that it is actually my modem and change the system to remove the charge. It's been over a week and no progress has been made. What a PITA.
Old 12-06-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, that is pretty shitty. Any way you can get it escalated to some supervisor or Consumer Relations department or something?
Old 07-31-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

8 months later and they are now increasing the modem lease fee 50%. Now I'm going to get off my ass and buy my own.
Old 07-31-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was just pricing TWC (I'm stuck with my provider for another four months though) and they want 5.99 for "Modem Lease Fee and FREE Home Wi-Fi". In one way that's an improvement, they used to charge 10 bucks a month for 'home wi-fi' (versus, you know, buying a router for 40 bucks and getting your own wi-fi). But yeah, I agree that it's a 'rate hike' in disguise. That's like a restaurant charging you a rental fee for the dinnerware and silverware.
I guess the other bright side to their modem is that occasionally they may upgrade the modem (they did that once for me in ten years) and if it breaks, call them. Then again you could save enough to buy it in just a few months.
Anyway....I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my contract is up. I'll probably unplug from cable TV again, but I do need/want broadband, and there's only two providers that I'm aware of that service me (my current one's regular price is 60/month for 10/mb).