Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Copies - iTunes or WMP? Store to External HD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-17-12, 02:13 PM

I have several digital copy discs waiting for me to make an informed decision and I wonder if any of you can help me.

1. iTunes or Windows Media Player? I only use Windows PCs and Android phones the last few years. I really, really don't like iTunes but would consider it if someone had compelling answers regarding my questions: Which of these two options will allow me to be the most future-proof in terms of being able to watch these films years from now? Is the WMP copy tied only to one particular computer? Is it transferable later?

2. Can I put digital copies on an external hard drive? It would be great to have them on one of my HP pocket media drives rather than just my laptop or home PC's internal hard drive. This would offer me so much flexibility.

Any thoughts on either of these issues?
Old 11-18-12, 07:28 AM

Re: Digital Copies - iTunes or WMP? Store to External HD?

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
Any thoughts on either of these issues?
I don't have any thoughts to offer, sorry, but I have the exact same questions! Hopefully one of the 90+ people who read your post will return with an answer for us.
Old 11-18-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
1. iTunes or Windows Media Player? I only use Windows PCs and Android phones the last few years. I really, really don't like iTunes but would consider it if someone had compelling answers regarding my questions: Which of these two options will allow me to be the most future-proof in terms of being able to watch these films years from now? Is the WMP copy tied only to one particular computer? Is it transferable later?
WMP is tied to one PC only, iTunes is up to five authorized PCs. Android is not compatible with either WMP or iTunes digital copies. For Android, either a Play Movie digital copy has to be provided (Fox being the only studio thus far I believe) or Ultraviolet digital copy through Flixster (some UV titles still may not be available to view though).

2. Can I put digital copies on an external hard drive? It would be great to have them on one of my HP pocket media drives rather than just my laptop or home PC's internal hard drive. This would offer me so much flexibility.
You can store the files on an external drive but with WMP, only the PC that redeemed the digital copy can play it back. iTunes digital copies can be played on up to five authorized PCs.
Old 11-19-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use iTunes for all my digital movies, both those that are encrypted and the files I made from my own discs.

Some factors to consider, I used to have some WMP movies that I lost the rights to due to reloading computer no way that I have found to recover them. Also includes a couple of random "digital copies" like one I got for free with a PNY flash drive a few years back. All gone.

My computers are all backed up locally to my home server, but that doesnt appear to include the digital keys.

Itunes allows you to generate keys for up to five computers (and those five can be reset by contacting support). I have lost no movies purchased/obtained thru itunes. I did learn to not "restore" the key from my backup but rather to install itunes fresh upon a reload of my PC and then authorize the library fresh.

My iTunes library is stored on an external drive, this includes all my music and movie files. Apple is also moving towards having all movies available in the cloud (careful not all movies are available) it is a mixed bag right now so plan to have them backed up locally.

Hope that all makes sense its a crazy world with digital rights management right now.
Old 11-24-12, 12:01 AM

Both of you are really helpful, thank you. Looks like I have to brave the world of iTunes!
Old 11-24-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you stream movies from iTunes yet? I think they only have something like a 7-min preview of a movie.
Old 11-25-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, iTunes doesn't support streaming.
Old 11-25-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can stream with an Apple TV.
Old 11-25-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But only from content that you've already downloaded to another one of your devices, not from Apple servers (Netflix or Amazon Instant Video-style), which is what I think the question was.
Old 11-26-12, 10:08 AM

I wonder how many people even bother to use the digital copy. I have tons of DC disks and have not used a single one, was thinking of copying them on external disk, now thanks for some suggestions here - will back up at least the disney ones.

One wonders why studios go to this length of providing a separate digital disk, only to make it difficult to use.