Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Camera - Black Friday - Recommendations Please

Old 11-16-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Camera - Black Friday - Recommendations Please

Some of you who go to Otter talk may have seen that Im in Death Valley now working as a Park Ranger. Problem is I dont have internet where I live and rarely can get on while at work! Anyway my camera sucks out here and with BF coming up I would like to buy a $200-$300 Canon Camera.

Im not looking for anything professional, just something thatll last a good while. Id also prefer a camera that doesnt make me have a date entered/or one that doesnt date stamp all the photos. So basically something for beautiful scenery.

Is anyone else here looking for a camera? Anything particular to recommend? I really appreciate the help.
Old 11-16-12, 07:18 PM

Re: Camera - Black Friday - Recommendations Please

I've had my Canon PowerShot for about six years and it's still taking fantastic pics. Survived a two-week backpacking trek through Central America and numerous trips elsewhere. Prices range from $129 to $250, IIRC.
Old 11-16-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Id also prefer a camera that doesnt make me have a date entered/or one that doesnt date stamp all the photos.
In the Canons that is a feature you can disable in the options.

I have a Canon IS Powershot and it doesn't date stamp the photos by default.
Old 11-16-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If image quality is the main concern, this is without a doubt the best deal available. And I doubt you will find anything better on BF. I don't need one, but considering getting at the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digita...&keywords=Xz-1

Last edited by Sdallnct; 11-16-12 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-16-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ that is nice shorter zoom camera, but if you want a longer zoom, the Panasonic zs9 is on sale this weekend at Costco for $199 ($100 off reg price of $299)
Old 11-16-12, 10:31 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
^^ that is nice shorter zoom camera, but if you want a longer zoom, the Panasonic zs9 is on sale this weekend at Costco for $199 ($100 off reg price of $299)
I was thinking of posting that as well. I don't know anything about that particular model, but the Lumix cameras are very good. I haven't had a desire for a new camera since I got mine a couple years ago.
Old 11-16-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not the same class of camera of the Olympus. Smaller sensor, slower (much) lens.

Again, if image quality is the most important thing, your just not going to find anything close. Many compare the Olympus to the brand new Sony RX100 that sells for $600

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-35326410.html

People can't figure out why Amazon is selling the black one (not the white) at such a ridiculously low price. The guess is they have a bunch left as the new model comes out.

But yea, if you want a bigger zoom or that is what is important, than it might be a good choice.
Old 11-18-12, 04:05 PM

Hmmm, may go for the Olympus but zoom may be an issue. How much of a difference is there? Is it the regular zoom or digital zoom? Remember Im out hiking and taking pics of scenery. I just did Telescope Peak with 11,039 elevation so a soom woulda been great. But anything is better than my old camera. That one is horrible. Its a 5.0 Megapixel Olympus lol

I might have to jump on the amazon since they fluctuate soooooo much day by day. And I love black!
Old 11-18-12, 04:06 PM

Ok and thanks alot guys. it helps alot as interent is very limited fo4r me
Old 11-18-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How much of a quality difference will depend on what your doing with the pics. Posting to Facebook? There won't be a difference. Shooting in lower light and/or at higher ISO and wanting to make large cropped prints? There will be a huge difference.

It's a good question. It is easy to say this is better or whatever, but it really depends on use.
Old 11-18-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For $200-300, any camera you get will be a compromise. But if you're looking for a camera for scenery, the Olympus XZ-1, Canon S95 (or S100), or Panasonic LX-5 will all be decent choices - all are older models and thus fit in your price range. For most of my scenic shots, I tend to go with wide shots, so I don't really have much use for zoom. If you really need it, I believe one or all of the cameras allow accessory lens attachments that provide greater optical zoom with a tradeoff of aperture, which might not matter too much if you are using some kind of tripod. Which you should for scenery shots. In fact, that will matter more than any hardware differences in any of the 3 above choices.
Old 11-19-12, 10:59 AM

zAmazon has this for $200. I may jump on it

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...owerShot+SX260

I was talking to my friend and she said for a stop and shoot the above deals arent too hot. Plus this price is good cuz best buy will have it for the same price as a doorbuster on blackfriday. so i get it without the hustle. thoughts?
Old 11-19-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
zAmazon has this for $200. I may jump on it

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...owerShot+SX260

I was talking to my friend and she said for a stop and shoot the above deals arent too hot. Plus this price is good cuz best buy will have it for the same price as a doorbuster on blackfriday. so i get it without the hustle. thoughts?
How in the world would the Olympus not have been a good deal (it is now up to $250)? You may not think it the camera for you, but it is a ridiculously good deal at $200. Still a good deal at $250.

Most are still selling it for $350 or even $400+

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFwQ8wIwAA

Again, you want some super zoom or zoom travel camera, that is fine. But most of those are far inferior pic quality. Assuming all a good camera, it is just exceedingly difficult to compete with a large sensor. Than add that incredibly sharp and fast lens....

Now any that have been posted are better quality than any smart phone. So that might be "good enough" for your use. And you may prefer a big zoom over pic quality. And that is fine. But it say it not a good deal...can't imagine...

Edit, NM...deal is deal.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 11-19-12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ LOL at your "Far Inferior" comment. Yes that Olympus is a better camera than a Powershot or Lumix Super Zoom, but BOTH have their place. I would not give up my Super Zoom Sony HX9V for your Olympus no matter what, since zoom and video is critical to me. The image quality of the Super Zooms are fanatstic. I use mine for video as much as pictures, and HAVE to have the zoom. If I want super quality, I use my DSLR with a bag of lenses. But to take one P&S with me, I want the zoom.

Everyone is different, which is why I posted another option to your nice short zoom. But to call the ZS9 "Far Inferior" is quite off-base.
Old 11-19-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^^ LOL at your "Far Inferior" comment. Yes that Olympus is a better camera than a Powershot or Lumix Super Zoom, but BOTH have their place. I would not give up my Super Zoom Sony HX9V for your Olympus no matter what, since zoom and video is critical to me. The image quality of the Super Zooms are fanatstic. I use mine for video as much as pictures, and HAVE to have the zoom. If I want super quality, I use my DSLR with a bag of lenses. But to take one P&S with me, I want the zoom.

Everyone is different, which is why I posted another option to your nice short zoom. But to call the ZS9 "Far Inferior" is quite off-base.
You miss read my post. I didn't say those cameras were far inferior. I said they were far inferior pic quality (picture quality wise). And most are.

And you mention "short zoom". Yes, you are correct. There are $99 cameras that have a longer zoom the. The XZ1. But none have the image quality.

And as I e said from my first post IF pic quality is your main factor your just not going to beat the XZ-1 at the $200 price Amazon was giving it away.

I totally admit IF a big zoom is is important to you, look elsewhere. But $200 travel or mega zooms are a dime a dozen. Finding a $200 camera with a decent sized sensor and 1.8 high quality lens is a huge rarity (and that lens maxes out at 2.5, what is the speed of those super zooms? - which again may not be important to you or the OP, but you can't argue the deal).

Btw, I don't have the XZ1. Tho sort of kicking myself for not grabbing one. Currently I'm shooting a NEX. Which has taught me the benefit of a big sensor.

And your right. Super zooms have their place. No argument here. I only argued when the OP said his friend didnt think it was a good deal.

You mention your DSLR v. Your super zoom. Why does the DSLR take better pics? Because it has a bigger sensor and better quality lens. Which is exactly what the XZ1 has. A bigger sensor (tho not as big as your DSLR) and a better quality lens.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 11-19-12 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, Ravenous is a chick? Then which is the best camera for nude self-shots?
Old 11-19-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the HX30V as our P&S, it's great. I did look at the RX100 but the macro sucks on it and the smaller sensor + fast lens meant some limitations on dof so I didn't think it was worth the premium price. The Olympus at that price is smoking hot but again you only have 4X zoom and macro performance will probably be poor.
Old 11-19-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
You miss read my post. I didn't say those cameras were far inferior. I said they were far inferior pic quality (picture quality wise)...Blah, Blah
A Sony HX-series or Panasonic ZS-series is not far inferior picture wise. Is the Olympus or 4/3 going to be better? Yes. But it's not like the super zooms I mentioned are going to take crappy pictures and I would argue that they all could beat the "better" cameras picture wise depending on the situation.
Old 11-19-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A Sony HX-series or Panasonic ZS-series is not far inferior picture wise. Is the Olympus or 4/3 going to be better? Yes. But it's not like the super zooms I mentioned are going to take crappy pictures and I would argue that they all could beat the "better" cameras picture wise depending on the situation.
Well...since image quality is mainly subjective (and use dependent) we can just agree to disagree on the "degree" of difference. But your other point is pointless. I'm sure I've taken a pic with my iPhone that is "better" than a pic you have taken with your DSLR. Meaningless.

And I never said a travel camera or super zoom took crappy pic. My iPhone doesn't take crappy pics, but your super zoom does better.

The only reason I posted the xz1 was because of the almost give away price for such a high quality camera. No it is not a camera for everyone (no camera is).
Old 11-19-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well...since image quality is mainly subjective (and use dependent) we can just agree to disagree on the "degree" of difference.
lolwut? That is so incredibly wrong it's not even funny.
But your other point is pointless. I'm sure I've taken a pic with my iPhone that is "better" than a pic you have taken with your DSLR. Meaningless.
Yeah, no.
Old 11-19-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

lol, look what you started. The Olympus deal is gone so it's a moot point. The SX260 is a perfectly fine point and shoot - better than most. I say go for it if it's $200 (when I clicked on it, it's $229). I don't think you'll find a better deal than that. I think the one criticism I would have for it is that it doesn't take RAW photos. If you ever have a pretty good shot that needs a little tuning up, RAW will give you a lot more flexibility to turn that decent photo into an awesome one. That said, it doesn't sound like you have much interest in doing any processing work. If true, then get the SX260. If you do think you might eventually want to learn how to do some processing, the Panasonic LX5 ($250), Canon S100 ($300), and Olympus XZ-1 ($279 now) are what you want. Most of us camera geeks NEVER shoot in jpg.

BTW, techbargains.com is a useful shopping tool. You can do a search for the product you want like the Canon SX260 and it'll show all the deals that have ever come up for it, so you know if it's likely to ever to be sold at that price again. Since BF is so close, check the website closely then - likely to be some awesome camera deals.
Old 11-20-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
lol, look what you started. The Olympus deal is gone so it's a moot point. The SX260 is a perfectly fine point and shoot - better than most. I say go for it if it's $200 (when I clicked on it, it's $229). I don't think you'll find a better deal than that. I think the one criticism I would have for it is that it doesn't take RAW photos. If you ever have a pretty good shot that needs a little tuning up, RAW will give you a lot more flexibility to turn that decent photo into an awesome one. That said, it doesn't sound like you have much interest in doing any processing work. If true, then get the SX260. If you do think you might eventually want to learn how to do some processing, the Panasonic LX5 ($250), Canon S100 ($300), and Olympus XZ-1 ($279 now) are what you want. Most of us camera geeks NEVER shoot in jpg.

BTW, techbargains.com is a useful shopping tool. You can do a search for the product you want like the Canon SX260 and it'll show all the deals that have ever come up for it, so you know if it's likely to ever to be sold at that price again. Since BF is so close, check the website closely then - likely to be some awesome camera deals.
Yea...I do that a lot....lol...I was curious about the canon as wife wants a camera. So looked. It seems pretty average, with above averagw pic quality for its class (again a different class than the XZ-1). From DPReview,

"While not perfect by any means, the PowerShot SX260's photo quality is better than average in its class, and should serve its target audience well. Exposures were accurate in most situation, though like most compact cameras, the SX260 will clip highlights. Turning on the i-Contrast feature should help reduce that a bit. Colors were nice and vibrant, with no funny color casts. Images are a bit soft at very close inspection, with a sort-of fuzzy look to them. That said, the SX260 HS stands up well to its competition and details remain relatively intact until you get to around ISO 800, where the SX260 performs better than similar cameras from Nikon and Panasonic. You will almost certainly encounter redeye on the SX260, and you can correct it by using the removal tool in playback mode (if the two preventative measures failed). Something you won't be able to fix (at least on the camera) is purple fringing, though it's fairy mild."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano...hot-sx260-hs/8

I've never been a mega zoom fan, but guess if that is what your looking for, the Canon is as good as any other like it. So depending on cost.

Course I had to look what DPreview said about the XZ-1,

"The image quality is exactly in line with what we'd expect from a camera with a sensor of this size - considerably better than most compacts other than its immediate peers. This is made all the more useable by that sensor being parked behind such a bright lens. This underlying image quality, combined with the excellent JPEG processing with which Olympus has made a name for itself, makes it easy to take impressive images every time you pick up the camera. The sensor may be a touch noisier than the one used by Canon, Nikon and Samsung but the slightly brighter lens makes up for some of that difference and it's rare to need to shoot above ISO 800 where that difference starts to become visible."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/12

And they give the ZX-1 a Gold rating (their highest). Now really am kicking myself for not getting. Maybe will come back.
Old 11-20-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm waiting for the Sony RX-1. I've got some serious amazon points built up just waiting for the right toy to come along. I just want to see some reviews from the camera geeks.
Old 11-20-12, 01:49 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm thinking about the Sony NEX6. I am waiting for a few more reviews before deciding.
Old 11-20-12, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
I'm waiting for the Sony RX-1. I've got some serious amazon points built up just waiting for the right toy to come along. I just want to see some reviews from the camera geeks.
Yes, that is an intersting camera.

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
I'm thinking about the Sony NEX6. I am waiting for a few more reviews before deciding.
The NEX6 is serious drool worthy.

I bought my c3 right when the f3 landed on shelves. Since pic quality was pretty much the same, I went with the smaller body.

Of course now with the 6 hitting shelves, you can get the 5n for pretty close to what I paid for the c3. That 5n is an unbelievable deal at the $400-$450 it has often been selling for.

But the 6 just seems awesome. I may have to be my Christmas present 2013. But the most exciting part is the new lenses. Ill probably pic up the 50 1.8 soon. But then have my eye on that 16-50 pancake. With that is would fit in my jacket pocket. Tho since I already have the 18-55 and 16mm, the 10-18 might make more sense. But it will be pricey. Tho I may dump the 18-55 now and get the 35mm when it comes....decisions decisions.

Regardless....it is an aweaome system. Especially in low light. I have to admit to missing a viewfinder on occasion, but otherwise love the c3. But also why I love the idea of the 6.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.