Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Smartphone talk - is there a limit to when pixel density doesn't matter?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-15-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know apple claims that the 326 ppi of the iPhone is retina display, but the DNA is 440 ppi which is a massive pixel increase over the iPhone. There are other phones with similar pixel densities in the pipeline.

Is a pixel density over 330ish on a smartphone noticeable to you?
Old 11-16-12, 01:54 AM
Banned by request

Re: Smartphone talk - is there a limit to when pixel density doesn't matter?

Honestly, I'd say anything over 300 is hard to distinguish. iPhone is 326, my EVO LTE is 312, they both look excellent to me. And, of course, there's more to a screen than just density.
Old 11-16-12, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PPI, the next mega pixel battle until people no longer notice.

I have to hold my phone (326PPI) so close to even come close to seeing pixels. It will get to the point where we will not be able to see any difference. It will be a spec battle which is really has become, we are at the point where we talk of being 0.01 ounce lighter then another tablet or a 50th of an inch thinner, these devices can only get so thin before they are uncomfortable to hold. Speed always has to stay on par with programs requiring the power, however even speed can get to a point where we cannot notice, so far speed is needed to keep up.
Old 11-16-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I think anything over 330 is not noticeable. I'd personally rather not have a number much higher because the benefit of the screen clarity would be outweighed by the resources it would require.
Old 11-16-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The PPI race is essentially nothing more than the manufacturers' latest ploy to get people to be dissatisfied with their devices to buy a new one. A close second reason is to maintain a pricing structure.
Old 11-16-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the Droid DNA phone, I think it was more that the manufacturer wanted to boast of having a "Full HD" 1920x1080 screen than the idea of having a higher ppi. Most people don't know what ppi is, but it's easy to market the phone by saying "watch videos in Full HD."
Old 11-16-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
For the Droid DNA phone, I think it was more that the manufacturer wanted to boast of having a "Full HD" 1920x1080 screen than the idea of having a higher ppi. Most people don't know what ppi is, but it's easy to market the phone by saying "watch videos in Full HD."
There are rumors that several other manufacturers may be releasing full HD displays next year. Personally, wish that they would focus on battery life over faster processor, better display which at this point isn't really making much difference for me.
Old 11-16-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
There are rumors that several other manufacturers may be releasing full HD displays next year. Personally, wish that they would focus on battery life over faster processor, better display which at this point isn't really making much difference for me.
I think a lot of people would be more thrilled if your battery life was doubled then being able to watch a 1080P film on a four inch screen. oO
Old 11-17-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
I recently returned the iphone 5 I had bought due to 3g issues and ended up with an s3. I bought an extended battery for under $20 and am just started doing the first few full charge cycles. At full screen brightness with 10 min sleep gps, blue tooth and a video running in the background, it lasts all day. My wife is a huge fan of her 4s, but she is thinking she might go android just so she can get an extended battery life. I think apple would have done better with the 5 if they had made it as thick as the 4s and given it a much bigger battery.
Old 11-17-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, watching 1080p on a 4" screen is a useless endeavor. I think 300 ppi is a reasonable limit between battery life and crispness. The real difference will be seen when 300 ppi screens in the 17" to 25" range become common and cheap.

The reason we don't hear much about battery life improvements is because that's something that is actually *hard*! Namely, lots of R&D $$ and lots of sweat involved in making it happen. Companies like to do the *easy* stuff first (ie, dazzle us with a magical ppi number), than spend more on a longer-term investment (improving battery life).
Old 11-17-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If some companies would stop obsessing over 0.000001" of thinness I wonder if some devices could have a bit better battery life. Even laptops like the new Macbooks, some thought it would have been a better idea to try to get better battery life more power over just making it thinner.
Old 11-17-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yes, watching 1080p on a 4" screen is a useless endeavor.
To be fair, it's 1080p on a 5" screen.
Old 11-17-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
To be fair, it's 1080p on a 5" screen.
That is correct. A 4" screen with 1080p would be 550 ppi.
Old 11-18-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm glad Apple pushed the limits of it despite the dumb marketing term, but other then getting other manufacturers to come out with better hardware, I already don't care that much. I'm happy where things are with the resolution of my Galaxy Nexus. I'm not going to say no to better tech, but like others things like battery life are far more useful to me.
Old 11-18-12, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do notice that Apple have to do it first then everyone else cares, not that other companies could not make better screens etc.. like there were tablets before the iPad just not the same type. I do wonder why no one else tried these things first in the current market, make a latop with crazy high resolution. Now they will sense Apple has. Then we get to the point where people start beating Apple in the spec department.
Old 11-18-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
I do notice that Apple have to do it first then everyone else cares, not that other companies could not make better screens etc...
Apple had to push the resolution. As I've mentioned in other threads, Android allowed for multiple resolutions from the beginning, iOS didn't. If Apple tried to gradually increase the resolution, the scaling of existing apps would've looked horrible (see the iPad 1's scaling of iPhone apps). Their best, and nearly only, option was to quadruple the resolution, which allowed for smooth scaling. It was practically a coincidence that the higher resolution fell within the "retina" range of near invisible pixels (when held at a certain distance).

The resolution and ppi on Android devices was gradually increasing, and there were already plenty of Android devices with better resolution and ppi than the iPhone when Apple leapfrogged everyone else with the iPhone 4.