Reload this Page >

Please recommend a used smartphone - no contract

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-09-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm looking for used smartphone that I'd like to buy from eBay or elsewhere. My kids have the Motorola Atrix 2, which I think is awesome. I'm not looking for the best phone available - in fact, I'm currently using a iPhone 3GS and it's just fine. But I need another phone that I can buy and can unlock, because we're moving to Ireland in about 10 days and I'd like a decent phone to throw a Pay As You Go SIM card into it.

I'm really hoping to spend just $100 or so, but would go higher. I'm open to any OS, but want something with a nice sized screen (these old eyes - damn!) Camera isn't that important, but would be nice. I'd mostly use it for phone calls, texts, and the occasional mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Please recommend a used smartphone - no contract

Easy. If you like the 3GS, find a factory unlocked iPhone 4. There should be plenty available now that the iPhone 5 is out. The only downside would be the price. Probably not going to find it for much less than $200 in decent condition. You could get the 3GS unlocked if you don't mind sticking with iOS 5. Which might be a better solution if you think it might be hard to find micro SIM's in Ireland.
Old 11-09-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
Easy. If you like the 3GS, find a factory unlocked iPhone 4. There should be plenty available now that the iPhone 5 is out. The only downside would be the price. Probably not going to find it for much less than $200 in decent condition. You could get the 3GS unlocked if you don't mind sticking with iOS 5. Which might be a better solution if you think it might be hard to find micro SIM's in Ireland.
Why would he need to stick to iOS 5?
Old 11-09-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Samsun focus is around $100 or less on eBay, if you don't mind wp7. 4" screen. At $100, I am not sure if you could get a larger screen. The os runs pretty well, considering the price paid.

If you want a larger screen, the dell streak 5 can be had on eBay for mAybe $150ish. As a warning, os isnt great, but just for calls texts and occasional gaming, it should work. And 5" screen is very large. Yes, there are larger, but also cost a lot more.

Last edited by D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB); 11-09-12 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just buy a sim cutter. They aren't that much.

Finding a factory unlocked iPhone 4 for $100 isn't very likely.
Old 11-10-12, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just today received the LG Optimus M I ordered from Amazon for $90. My 1st smartphone. I use it through Metro PCS for $50/month. No contract.
Old 11-10-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently bought a brand new unlocked Pantech P8000 Crossover smartphone on Amazon for $72. It has an older version of Android (2.3) but has a slide out keyboard. I was quite impressed for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Pantech-P8000-...8000+Crossover
Old 11-10-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Why would he need to stick to iOS 5?
I gave my 3GS to my parents and upgraded it to iOS 5. I would consider the hardware BARELY adequate to run iOS 5. I'm just guessing that iOS 6 wouldn't work very well.

EDIT: Well of course somebody else has already tried it out and reviewed it: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09...he-iphone-3gs/
Looks like it's not so bad after all. If you're not picky about responsiveness, go for it - looks like the 3GS is STILL useable.
Old 11-10-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I recently bought a brand new unlocked Pantech P8000 Crossover smartphone on Amazon for $72. It has an older version of Android (2.3) but has a slide out keyboard. I was quite impressed for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Pantech-P8000-...8000+Crossover
It has a 3.1" screen which may be a little small for the ops needs.
Old 11-10-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Just buy a sim cutter. They aren't that much.

Finding a factory unlocked iPhone 4 for $100 isn't very likely.
True, it just sounded like the OP wasn't super tech savvy. Not that it's difficult to use a sim cutter, but some people just don't want to do any mods. I have some very technophobic friends and the idea of cutting a SIM card would actually frighten them. Afterwards, if their phone malfunctions in any way, the first thing they would think of would be the cut SIM card.

EDIT: Just re-read the OP and realized I mis-read it the first time. He says he *already* has a 3GS. So why do you need a new phone, modfather?

Last edited by hahn; 11-10-12 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-10-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

True, it just sounded like the OP wasn't super tech savvy. Not that it's difficult to use a sim cutter, but some people just don't want to do any mods. I have some very technophobic friends and the idea of cutting a SIM card would actually frighten them. Afterwards, if their phone malfunctions in any way, the first thing they would think of would be the cut SIM card.

EDIT: Just re-read the OP and realized I mis-read it the first time. He says he *already* has a 3GS. So why do you need a new phone, modfather?
Even if he was technophobic , I am sure that shops that sell sim cards could cut it for him,might have to pay a small fee though. The iPhone 4 has been out for a few years now, I am sure most shops are familiar with micro sims.
Old 11-12-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I gave my 3GS to my parents and upgraded it to iOS 5. I would consider the hardware BARELY adequate to run iOS 5. I'm just guessing that iOS 6 wouldn't work very well.

EDIT: Well of course somebody else has already tried it out and reviewed it: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09...he-iphone-3gs/
Looks like it's not so bad after all. If you're not picky about responsiveness, go for it - looks like the 3GS is STILL useable.
I had a 3gs with 6.0 from the 6.0 launch to this Saturday, and it was fine. No extra noticeable slow down. Should be fine.