Reload this Page >

The Apple Thread

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 04-20-21, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 304 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: The Apple Thread

The Center Stage tracking is pretty neat.
Old 04-20-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 824 Likes on 614 Posts

After I watch and read some reviews, I might consider upgrading my Apple TV 4K

My iPad 2019 is still working good, so I don't anticipate upgrading it anytime soon.
Old 04-20-21, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 308 Likes on 258 Posts

Just getting the ATV4K upgrade. I have a buddy that works for Apple and can get a discount.
Old 04-21-21, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Magic keyboard looks sweet but man the 12.9” version costs more than a standard iPad.
Old 04-21-21, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 547 Likes on 401 Posts

My fiance wants one of those iMacs. I'm trying to push her toward Teal, Blue, or Purple.

They're basically just big iPads, aren't they?

No goddamned USB-A ports, just 2/4 USB-C ports? What they fuck are those even used for? I don't have anything that uses the C-ports; every storage device and printer and everything else that plugs into a computer still has the old USB-A.
Old 04-21-21, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
My fiance wants one of those iMacs. I'm trying to push her toward Teal, Blue, or Purple.

No goddamned USB-A ports, just 2/4 USB-C ports? What they fuck are those even used for? I don't have anything that uses the C-ports; every storage device and printer and everything else that plugs into a computer still has the old USB-A.
you can buy a usb c hub with usb a ports for fairly cheap.
Old 04-21-21, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

They are actual computers unlike the iPads which use a compromised OS.

You can buy programs and games that push the processors rather than be hindered by them. Good for real office tasks, real video editing, and way better web browsing.
Old 04-22-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

My wife really wants me to get an apple phone so our phones will work better together (I have an android), but with shit like this coming down the pike, apple ensures that I will never use their goddamned products...

Old 04-22-21, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
My wife really wants me to get an apple phone so our phones will work better together (I have an android), but with shit like this coming down the pike, apple ensures that I will never use their goddamned products...

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/1385286376287981569
?? What exactly does "Apple is working on enhancements to iMessage" make you not want to touch an Apple device?? Were you more likely to buy one, if Apple promised to never improve iMessage again?

"I prefer not to use Apple devices" is fine, you don't need to come up with an explanation
Old 04-22-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 308 Likes on 258 Posts

Yeah, that let out a big ass can of worms. Time to man up and tell your GF you're not getting a motherfucking iPhone now.
Old 04-22-21, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
?? What exactly does "Apple is working on enhancements to iMessage" make you not want to touch an Apple device?? Were you more likely to buy one, if Apple promised to never improve iMessage again?

"I prefer not to use Apple devices" is fine, you don't need to come up with an explanation
Nice of you to gloss over the actual issue, which is how they're trying to turn their message app into a social network.
That's not an "improvement" in any way, shape or form, unless you're some teenager who gets off on "likes".
Old 04-22-21, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 587 Likes on 459 Posts

Nice of you to gloss over the actual issue, which is how they're trying to turn their message app into a social network.
That's not an "improvement" in any way, shape or form, unless you're some teenager who gets off on "likes".
Unless they force everyone on imessage to have a public profile, I don't see the features that you want it for changing all that much, though? It's hard to say with no details and mostly speculation, though.
Old 04-23-21, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can always turn iMessage off and never use that feature. It just means you get texts and pix/vids without the “enhancements” like reactions and text manipulation.
Old 04-23-21, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 587 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
You can always turn iMessage off and never use that feature. It just means you get texts and pix/vids without the “enhancements” like reactions and text manipulation.
To be fair, the reason he's considering moving to an Apple phone is the extra features of iMessage when communicating with his wife. But again, these are added features (even the speculation in the article), and if you don't want a company able to track every aspect of your phone usage maybe Apple (or any smartphone) is the best thing for you.
Old 04-26-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe a Jitterbug?