Reload this Page >

The Apple Thread

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 11-13-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: The Apple Thread

My iPhone 7 is rapidly dying and I was thinking about upgrading to one of the models of the 12.

Would you suggest just going straight to the 12 Pro Max?
Old 11-13-20, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
My iPhone 7 is rapidly dying and I was thinking about upgrading to one of the models of the 12.

Do you have a 7 plus and like the size? If so, then that makes sense (the phone will be about the same size, but the screen will be bigger and much better and it'll be a little heavier).

If you're going from a normal 7, I'd say look carefully at the size comparisons, since not everyone wants/needs a huge phone, and personally I don't think the camera alone seems worth the upgrade from a regular Pro given reviews.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare...iphone12promax

Old 11-13-20, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

That's a big jump in size/weight/price. Do you WANT a phone that much bigger? Unlike your 7, the 12 Pro and Pro Max have stainless steel frames rather than aluminum. That increases the weight over the standard 12 a good bit.
Old 11-13-20, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Do you have a 7 plus and like the size? If so, then that makes sense (the phone will be about the same size, but the screen will be bigger and much better and it'll be a little heavier).

If you're going from a normal 7, I'd say look carefully at the size comparisons, since not everyone wants/needs a huge phone, and personally I don't think the camera alone seems worth the upgrade from a regular Pro given reviews.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare...iphone12promax
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
That's a big jump in size/weight/price. Do you WANT a phone that much bigger? Unlike your 7, the 12 Pro and Pro Max have stainless steel frames rather than aluminum. That increases the weight over the standard 12 a good bit.
Thank you for all the info! I have a basic 7, so it definitely would be a big jump on a lot of fronts. I'll look more into the points brought up.

The 12 Pro Camera is also very good right?

I went out to a few stores to try to get a Pro Max today but couldn't get one for various reasons. Silly me forgot that today was release day.

Last edited by asianxcore; 11-13-20 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-13-20, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you for all the info! I have a basic 7, so it definitely would be a big jump on a lot of fronts. I'll look more into the points brought up.

The 12 Pro Camera is also very good right?

I went out to a few stores to try to get a Pro Max today but couldn't get one for various reasons. Silly me forgot that today was release day.
Basically, the Pro has more RAM and a (way?) better camera than the regular, has a premium finish (which means different colors) and more RAM. The Pro Max is bigger and has a (slightly?) better camera than the Pro (and more battery life because it has a bigger battery). The mini is somehow the same interiors as the regular 12 but a smaller battery and of course a smaller size.

Even the regular/Pro 12 is going to be larger than your 7, which is closer in size to the mini. If I've confused you (or if I've confused myself) you can go to the link I pasted above and compare the models you want to see.

In general when people say their iphone is dying they probably just mean they need to replace the battery, which is much cheaper (though less convenient) than buying a new phone, but a 7 is old enough that an upgrade is probably in order anyway (I'm upgrading from a 6 to a mini)
Old 11-13-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In general when people say their iphone is dying they probably just mean they need to replace the battery, which is much cheaper (though less convenient) than buying a new phone, but a 7 is old enough that an upgrade is probably in order anyway (I'm upgrading from a 6 to a mini)
Not confusing at all! I appreciate the help!

For sure, I know it's my battery. When checking the health of my battery, it said that it was at 66% compared to when it was originally new. Charging times and the amount of hours I've been getting on my phone have been erratic.

As you mentioned, I could simply replace the battery but I honestly feel it's time for me personally to upgrade.
Old 11-13-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After digging more into what I need from a new phone going forward, I decided to go with the 12 Pro Max.

Found an AT&T Locked 256GB at an Apple Store I stopped by earlier today. Went with In-Store Pickup and will be hopefully picking it up on Sunday.

A friend of mine who used to be a Manager at a Verizon store is going to help me swap out the SIM cards.
Old 11-18-20, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Another option would be the se. basically the same size as the 7 and mostly last year specs but camera was from the 8. I picked up a few for family members for $200 on Verizon and very good if you can find it for that price. Even if not, the full $400 honestly isnít bad if you donít need the best of the best.
Old 11-18-20, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Another option would be the se. basically the same size as the 7 and mostly last year specs but camera was from the 8. I picked up a few for family members for $200 on Verizon and very good if you can find it for that price. Even if not, the full $400 honestly isnít bad if you donít need the best of the best.
I ended up picked up the 12 Pro Max on Sunday.

Still getting used to it but I really like it so far.

Old 11-18-20, 07:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Limiting the Pro to 16 Gb is enough to make me hold off for now, unless the reviews are spectacular.
The reviews (which came out last night) are pretty spectacular, but specifically about the RAM this one has an explanation: https://daringfireball.net/2020/11/the_m1_macs
But I think itís also the case that for most tasks for most people, these M1 Macs need less RAM to perform equivalently to, if not better than, their Intel-based counterparts. This sounds like bullshit but itís not. Itís the result of a hardware system architecture whose design aligns with Appleís software architecture.
Broadly speaking, this is a significant reason why M1 Macs are more efficient with less RAM than Intel Macs.
Itís the combination of software and hardware designed together. You donít have to take my word for this ó this, in a nutshell, helps explain why iPhones run rings around even flagship Android phones, even though iPhones have significantly less RAM. iOS software uses reference counting for memory management, running on silicon optimized to make reference counting as efficient as possible; Android software uses garbage collection for memory management, a technique that, whatever you think of it philosophically, requires more RAM to achieve equivalent performance.

That said,
there is very little evidence that the new M1 MacBook Pro is noticeably faster than the new M1 MacBook Air. Basically with the Pro you get a slightly larger therefore even longer lasting battery (but the one on the Air is already spectacular), you get a Touch Bar on the keyboard which the Air doesn't have and you have a fan (the Air is fanless). Having active cooling may make a difference for software that is making the CPU run all out for long periods of time (like more than 10 minutes). Basically, what I am saying is unless you really want the Touch Bar (which I actually like a lot), you might as well get the Air instead of the Pro, saving a few bucks. Or you can wait for the new 16" M1 MacBookPro with will presumable be released sometime next year.
Old 11-18-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks for the link Ted. That's a good explanation on the memory. I'll have to give it a serious look over now and figure out which is better for my needs.
Old 11-18-20, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Thanks for the link Ted. That's a good explanation on the memory. I'll have to give it a serious look over now and figure out which is better for my needs.
Just make sure you check that whatever software you're currently using is compatible with the new architecture.
Old 11-18-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

awesome! Glad that you love it!
Old 11-18-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Today's iTunes for Windows update v12.11 dropped OS support for anything but Windows 10.
Old 11-18-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Make sure, at the very least you look up a tutorial on gestures. Heck, I'll just look it up myself:
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...hfdf164cac/ios

Also, if you don't use a case know that there is a backtap "feature" (where you can double tap or triple tap the back of the phone to do a shortcut, like take a picture) that is hidden in accessbility options under settings.
Old 11-18-20, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My pro max arrived today. Itís the most underwhelming upgrade Iíve experienced. In fact itís frustrating. Most things are not better - they are just different. Different isnít better.
boo
edited to add: the camera is great
Old 11-19-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Make sure, at the very least you look up a tutorial on gestures. Heck, I'll just look it up myself:
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...hfdf164cac/ios

Also, if you don't use a case know that there is a backtap "feature" (where you can double tap or triple tap the back of the phone to do a shortcut, like take a picture) that is hidden in accessbility options under settings.
Thanks for the link! Still getting used to not having a Home Button, so I had to look up a lot of the common gestures the day I got the 12 Pro Max.

I currently have a case on the phone but that is good to know!

awesome! Glad that you love it!
Definitely appreciate all the help & information!

Old 11-21-20, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
My pro max arrived today. Itís the most underwhelming upgrade Iíve experienced. In fact itís frustrating. Most things are not better - they are just different. Different isnít better.
boo
edited to add: the camera is great
what did you have before?
Old 11-25-20, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what did you have before?
The 7. I am also noticing the screen has a grey-green tint to it.
Old 11-25-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That is a pretty significant upgrade. But maybe your expectations were too much?

Moving from a 6 to a 12 mini, the lack of touch id sucks and is probably the most annoying change, but otherwise it's an improvement performance-wise in every way, especially the camera.

There do seem to be a lot of screen issues, though: grey-green tint, yellow tint (I turned Truetone off) and that flickering on a black screen thing which are concerning, though.
Old 11-25-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

You went from a 7 to a 12 and you're not noticing how night/day better the OLED screen is compared to your old LCD (regardless of the size)?
Old 11-25-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah it is unfortunately a bug in some iPhone 12 with the grey green tint. Hopefully it can be fixed in a software update or if it bothers you too much, then you can ask for a replacement.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/18...isplay-issues/
Old 11-26-20, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah it is unfortunately a bug in some iPhone 12 with the grey green tint. Hopefully it can be fixed in a software update or if it bothers you too much, then you can ask for a replacement.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/18...isplay-issues/
Thanks for posting that thread. I didn't know about "true Tone." I turned it off, and the screen looks much better.

I do think I'm guilty of expecting too much. My coworkers have Samsung Galaxy's, and their screens look amazing.
I was expecting better cell service (AT&T), and if it's better I don't notice it.
The following users liked this post:
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) (11-26-20)
Old 11-26-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for posting that thread. I didn't know about "true Tone." I turned it off, and the screen looks much better.

I do think I'm guilty of expecting too much. My coworkers have Samsung Galaxy's, and their screens look amazing.
I was expecting better cell service (AT&T), and if it's better I don't notice it.
the galaxy screens tend to be more saturated at least when I last had a galaxy phone (s9+). So. The Apple screens while being more accurate, will look a little dull compared to that.

5g is over hyped for the most part. If you are already getting good speeds where you need it on your old phone then it really isnít going to make a real world difference. In the future though, I suspect carriers will move spectrum from 4g to 5g, just like they have moved most spectrum used for 3g to 4glte over the last few years.
Old 11-26-20, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, even though AT&T will display 5GE or something like that but it's not really 5G. You'll need a newer plan to get 5G speeds (if they are available in your area) but apparently it drains the battery super fast. I wouldn't know since I don't leave the house... :P

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.