Reload this Page >

The Apple Thread

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 06-09-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts
Re: The Apple Thread

You can soon trade in your old Mac at the Apple store.

Old 06-26-20, 05:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

so in my mom's iPhone there is storage taken up by "system" and "other". they are both grey. everything else is pics and stuff. hardly 12 GB.

the other 2 mentioned take up the rest and she has no more storage to even take one pic.

can someone tell me what these sections are and how i can get rid of them so they don't take up space?

i don't see on my phone at all so i am at a loss. she doesn't and won't use iCloud. she just wants to use her 32 GB iPhone storage.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-20, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
so in my mom's iPhone there is storage taken up by "system" and "other". they are both grey. everything else is pics and stuff. hardly 12 GB.

the other 2 mentioned take up the rest and she has no more storage to even take one pic.

can someone tell me what these sections are and how i can get rid of them so they don't take up space?

i don't see on my phone at all so i am at a loss. she doesn't and won't use iCloud. she just wants to use her 32 GB iPhone storage.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
How much is system and how much is other? Also how old is the phone/os?

I want to say older versions of ios kept messages in other, but if you see a separate messages section for storage that's probably not it. You can delete safari cache but I doubt it's taking up that much space.

In general I think the recommended way to remove the bloat is to back up your phone (I guess through itunes to a computer if she doesn't want to use icloud) then restore it fresh.
Old 06-26-20, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
How much is system and how much is other? Also how old is the phone/os?

I want to say older versions of ios kept messages in other, but if you see a separate messages section for storage that's probably not it. You can delete safari cache but I doubt it's taking up that much space.

In general I think the recommended way to remove the bloat is to back up your phone (I guess through itunes to a computer if she doesn't want to use icloud) then restore it fresh.
they are high. Much more than pics, which she has a lot of. iPhone 9, up to date iOS.
Old 06-26-20, 06:56 PM

It’s actually iPhone 10 or X or whatever she said. “Other“ takes up almost 10Gb, I tried the safari clear cache. The deleting of messages. Didn’t even make a dent. I saw online they said back up and factory reset. Does that sound right? If I redownload from iTunes, wont the same problem come up?
Old 06-26-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
It’s actually iPhone 10 or X or whatever she said. “Other“ takes up almost 10Gb, I tried the safari clear cache. The deleting of messages. Didn’t even make a dent. I saw online they said back up and factory reset. Does that sound right? If I redownload from iTunes, wont the same problem come up?
No, and that's what I suggested as well. Backup and completely wipe the phone and reinstall. Whatever leftover crud that's stuck in there shouldn't be there on a fresh install. But make sure you know exactly what you're backing up. If she doesn't believe in using the cloud, make doubly sure all the stuff she backs up is going to be restored (honestly, backing up to the cloud is probably the easier and better way to go, but if you absolutely can't then go install itunes somewhere).

If you do a reinstall and it's still there, I think it's time to see an apple genius or something because that's unusual.
Old 06-26-20, 08:05 PM

Yeah, I she has iTunes and I’ve backed up before for her and restored no problem. I’ll try that as last resort sometime. Thanks. Just can’t understand so much “other”, 10Gb! And she only has 32.
Old 06-26-20, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 137 Posts

The problem with your mother's iPhone is that IOS is a hoarder. It appears to cache a bunch of necessary crap to eat up the storage on your device, with no easy way to remove it. This is probably by design on Apple's part to force people to buy newer devices with more storage.

I have a six-plus year-old iPad, 16GB, and over half of my storage is gray "other."

I can go into my iPad and delete a bunch of photos and old apps, give myself another 1GB of storage, and within a week or two, "other" will eat up the storage I freed up even though I added no new apps or photographs.

It's fucking ridiculous that Apple doesn't give us a simple way to clean up our devices without deleting and reinstalling apps (to wipe out the "documents and data" crud they accumulate) or backing up our devices, wiping them, and reinstalling everything to free up "other" storage.

And if it isn't iOS actually caching stuff, it's some kind of mandate from iOS itself to restrict the amount of available storage. Like, once your device is a year or two old, it starts to restrict your free space, similar to how they got caught intentionally slowing down older devices.
Old 06-27-20, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The problem with your mother's iPhone is that IOS is a hoarder. It appears to cache a bunch of necessary crap to eat up the storage on your device, with no easy way to remove it. This is probably by design on Apple's part to force people to buy newer devices with more storage.

I have a six-plus year-old iPad, 16GB, and over half of my storage is gray "other."

I can go into my iPad and delete a bunch of photos and old apps, give myself another 1GB of storage, and within a week or two, "other" will eat up the storage I freed up even though I added no new apps or photographs.

It's fucking ridiculous that Apple doesn't give us a simple way to clean up our devices without deleting and reinstalling apps (to wipe out the "documents and data" crud they accumulate) or backing up our devices, wiping them, and reinstalling everything to free up "other" storage.

And if it isn't iOS actually caching stuff, it's some kind of mandate from iOS itself to restrict the amount of available storage. Like, once your device is a year or two old, it starts to restrict your free space, similar to how they got caught intentionally slowing down older devices.
why don’t you save yourself some grief and dump that iPad and get at least 128 GB. 16 GB is simply not sustainable with all the new updates and they don’t even manufacture those anymore. Just trade it in for whatever its worth.

128 GB, which I have has so much breathing room. 6 years is way overdue for an upgrade.
Old 06-27-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Apple doesn’t even sell 16Gb anymore. Lowest is 32Gb. Go 64Gb or higher, especially with today’s apps utilizing the most out of the latest iOS.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (06-27-20)
Old 06-27-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Apple doesnít even sell 16Gb anymore. Lowest is 32Gb. Go 64Gb or higher, especially with todayís apps utilizing the most out of the latest iOS.
i agree, 64gb at the minimum. Unless you plan on only installing small apps. 16gb is practically unusable, and like you said not sold anymore. 32gb is very marginal, and likely to run out of space especially if you plan on keeping the iPad for years.
Old 06-27-20, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
why donít you save yourself some grief and dump that iPad and get at least 128 GB.
Two reasons.

One, I don't use it for much more than internet. That, and a few games. It's not really worth getting a new one yet.

Two, I haven't updated the OS in forever, and since I have some 32-bit games I don't want to lose that weren't updated to 64 bit (like Pinball Rocks).

I have an iPhone that I use for other things (camera, weather apps, map apps, store/restaurant/shopping apps and stuff like that) but I don't like to play games or web surf on the small screen.
Old 07-01-20, 04:05 PM

She didn’t even have enough space to do a backup to iTunes, but I did some things, backed up, reinstalled and she has like 13Gb free now. That’s ridiculous all that crud. Never happened with any of my phones, but she doesn’t know what to delete or anything and I guess the crud built up. And it was 7plus, not X. Anyway, thanks for advice guys.
Old 07-01-20, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
why donít you save yourself some grief and dump that iPad and get at least 128 GB. 16 GB is simply not sustainable with all the new updates and they donít even manufacture those anymore. Just trade it in for whatever its worth.

128 GB, which I have has so much breathing room. 6 years is way overdue for an upgrade.
My dad tried to sell his old Mini back to them and they offered him 10 bucks. So I just took it instead. But even my kids won't use it since they have cheap tablets with a lot more space and which can actually load supported streaming apps...
Old 07-01-20, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Two reasons.

One, I don't use it for much more than internet. That, and a few games. It's not really worth getting a new one yet.

Two, I haven't updated the OS in forever, and since I have some 32-bit games I don't want to lose that weren't updated to 64 bit (like Pinball Rocks).

I have an iPhone that I use for other things (camera, weather apps, map apps, store/restaurant/shopping apps and stuff like that) but I don't like to play games or web surf on the small screen.
I mean dude I get it. iPads are very expensive. My 2019 iPad which I got last Fall cost slightly over $400. Considering you say you don't really use it that much, that would be stupid money to spend.

In that case, you're probably better off getting a cheap Android tablet or an Amazon Fire tablet for $60 with expandable memory. You can surf the net on that as well and play hundreds of cheap games.
Old 07-05-20, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So did some new iOS update completely nerf the battery drain or something? I thought it was just my phone but both of my iPhones have terrible battery life and get super super hot.
Old 07-05-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, the 13.5.1 update is the culprit.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-13...y-drain-issue/
Old 07-06-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I’ve stopped receiving text notifications on my IPhone yesterday. Anyone?
Old 07-31-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So they're merging itunes credit with Apple store credit:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/31...rything-apple/

So basically you can use the credit on itunes purchases or in store purchases. I highly highly doubt we will ever see discounted itunes cards ever again.
Old 08-01-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So they're merging itunes credit with Apple store credit:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/31...rything-apple/

So basically you can use the credit on itunes purchases or in store purchases. I highly highly doubt we will ever see discounted itunes cards ever again.
Does that mean if I have iTunes cards I can use them to buy products? I never buy anything from iTunes, but have some old gift cards. I could definitely apply to the cost of a pencil.
Old 08-12-20, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

iOS 14 beta just rolled out today. Nothing really fancy and awesome, you get to move the widgets around a lot more. I’ll have to see if there’s anything more significant. If not, I’ll just revert back to 13.