Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 09-12-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Apple Thread

New iPhone Design Triggers Strange Phobia

The camera setup on the newest top-of-the-line iPhone models Apple unveiled Tuesday is bringing an odd phobia into focus.

The three-lens rear cameras featured on the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max have been freaking out people who suffer from trypophobia, The Washington Post reports.

It is a condition that causes "an intense emotional reaction to clustered patterns of holes or bumps," according to Dictionary.com.

It was not long before social media was abuzz with people complaining about the new phone triggering their phobia.

"I've had really bad trypophobia for years now and seeing pics of the new iPhone 11 all over my timeline makes me want to set everything on fire..stop," tweeted @EmHarriss.

"The #iphone11 needs a trypophobia trigger warning," added @MiddleOfMayhem.

Apple has not addressed the situation, but Geoff Cole, a psychology lecturer at the University of Essex, has offered insight into the condition and how the new iPhone design could trigger it.

Source
First time I hear of such a phobia. That is interesting.
Old 09-12-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh, like the MLB 17 glitch? Very not safe for work / trypophobics.

Spoiler:

Old 09-12-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Oh, like the MLB 17 glitch? Very not safe for work / trypophobics.
Not safe for work? How about not safe for eyes! That was super creepy and distrurbing. I genuinely think I might have nightmares tonight.
Old 09-13-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this, so if not, please forgive me. My 2013 Macbook decided to crap on me yesterday with the spinning wheel of death. Tried everything that is recommended from starting the computer on Safe Mode (re-starts halfway into loading), to pressing Command + R to access the the disk utility (goes into the spinning wheel of death once more) to trying to go into my time capsule and retrieving a past save (gets stuck in the spinning wheel). Basically, the hard drive is dying fast since the computer wont go past the loading screen. My question is, how can I save this Macbook? I have a recent backup on my Time Capsule drive. Is there any way to install a new SSD to the Macbook and use this save on the Capsule to restore my computer and make it work again? I read online that I need to have a backup of the OS to use in the new SSD. Don't know if I have one. Can anyone here help or point me in the right direction of what I need to do? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-19, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I have a recent backup on my Time Capsule drive. Is there any way to install a new SSD to the Macbook and use this save on the Capsule to restore my computer and make it work again? I read online that I need to have a backup of the OS to use in the new SSD. Don't know if I have one. Can anyone here help or point me in the right direction of what I need to do? Thanks in advance.
What versions of MacOS are you running? Can you boot into Internet Recovery... holding command-option-r when starting up and access your Time Capsule?
Old 09-15-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm probably going to get the new iPad when it's released at the end of the month.

Looked up the trade value for my Air 2 from 2015 and it's currently $100.

Just trying to decide if it's better to get it at the Apple store or Best Buy and if it's worth it to get the keyboard.
Old 09-15-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by klemsaba View Post
What versions of MacOS are you running? Can you boot into Internet Recovery... holding command-option-r when starting up and access your Time Capsule?
The OS is Mojave. I can get in the Internet Recovery as well as regular recovery but it does nothing once I hit any of the options. I've also tried Command + S and using the sbin/fsck -fy checkup, it tells me that the volume couldn't be verified. All signs point to a corrupted hard drive that needs replacing. How can I replace the HD for a SSD one? By this I mean, how can I make this new hard drive work when the only thing that I know I have available to me is a backup of my files on a Time Capsule?
Old 09-15-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I recently had a similar problem, and it was just the cable that connects the hard drive to the mother board....
Old 09-15-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
I recently had a similar problem, and it was just the cable that connects the hard drive to the mother board....
I will see if that's the case.
Old 09-15-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Maybe Apple will go into bankruptcy because of their lack of insight and sensitivity for those millions (Billions??!!) of phobics. Wouldn't that be nice! One can hope, one can hope.

All trypophobics unite. You can do it, bring down Apple!
Old 09-15-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They’re coming after you zyzzle!!
Old 09-15-19, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Think I might just break down and buy the regular iPhone 11. That way Iíll have an up to date version for a while at least and no matter what itíll be an upgrade from what I have. Price seems reasonable enough by the standards of what smart phones cost now days. I donít really feel the need for the Pro version.
Old 09-16-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Do these people avoid electrical outlets?
Old 09-17-19, 08:32 PM

I have an Iphone 7 plus that works great and a 2nd gen Ipad pro 12.9 screen that works great as well. I was considering trading both in and upgrading but decided to wait and see how IOS 13 and Ipados affects the usability. From all accounts it makes the older hardware run smoother and faster. No real need to upgrade if thats the case.
Old 09-18-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Do these people avoid electrical outlets?
I have a mild version of this, but I will say the iphone doesn't trigger it. Outlets definitely don't trigger it. There was a phone that had around 5 or 7 lenses on the back in a pattern that definitely made me feel uncomfortable and would keep me from getting it.

I also get creeped out by that Sons of Anarchy poster with the skull in the guy's skin. I think the lotus flower is an example of the stuff that bothers me that way. It's a very unsettling feeling. I won't even Google the lotus flower to confirm it because I don't want it stuck in my head.
Old 09-18-19, 12:16 PM

Anyone pre order a iphone from sprint before. Just signed with them and pre ordered the iPhone 11 pro. I got a confirmation within hours and the next day a tracking number with UPS in Louisville Sunday but no movement since. ETA of 9/19 - 9/20. Will UPS eventually pick it up or change tracking from Order processed? Coming from Verizon they seemed to do a better job with that stuff
Old 09-18-19, 10:45 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am not sure about your particular case, but the official release date of the iPhone 11 is 9/20. so it's likely that UPS has an agreement with Apple not to deliver it before 9/19-20. Even if they have the phone in their possession, they will sit on it to avoid early delivery.

Louisville is a main UPS hub so they can easily get your package to anywhere in the 48 states overnight. You'll probably see movement tonight and delivery tomorrow, or Friday worst case.
Old 09-19-19, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Todayís the day for IOS 13
I just want to be able to disable autoplay in music, most of the time I donít mind it but there are times when I try to stream audio from other sources yet the music overrides it.
Old 09-19-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Todayís the day for IOS 13
I just want to be able to disable autoplay in music, most of the time I donít mind it but there are times when I try to stream audio from other sources yet the music overrides it.
Is that a feature??? You mean I'll be able to set it so Music app doesn't start playing something when I get in my car, even when I don't have the sound system turned on? Praise be, finally.

Time to repeatedly check my phone for the update all morning. Dark Mode, here I come!
Old 09-19-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Is that a feature??? You mean I'll be able to set it so Music app doesn't start playing something when I get in my car, even when I don't have the sound system turned on? Praise be, finally.

Time to repeatedly check my phone for the update all morning. Dark Mode, here I come!
no idea but I hope
I think the update goes live at 10 am Pacific time
at least thatís what I read
Old 09-19-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, OK. Wasn't sure if it was a real thing you were looking forward to or wishful thinking. But I'm with you there!