Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 06-03-19, 08:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Re: The Apple Thread

it's easy really. i was just fretting. backup to iTunes, then new phone restore backup. it takes a bit, but everything transfers exactly as if old phone...
Old 06-03-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

iTunes on Windows is still safe for now.
Old 06-03-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1k for a monitor stand. I'm officially past the "defend apple prices" phase.
Old 06-03-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I'm doing the same thing with my wife new iphone xs max which upgraded from an iPhone 6. Man, has Apple made transferring information a hassle and ridiculously hard. I hope that now that they are finally killing iTunes, things improve but I'm not optimistic.

What's the easiest way to transfer photos from one phone to the other? My wife has like 5,000 photos in her old phone and wants to transfer most of them to the new one.
I just use Windows Import Pictures to save them. Or you can copy/paste or drag drop. I like the Import because it remembers what photos have been backed up. There are settings to consider, I prefer to keep original file name, put each backup in a folder with the backup date, etc.
Just connect new phone via USB and you can copy/paste or drag them back.

As a backup I also use Google Photos app for iOS. I believe they still offer free unlimited storage, but resolution size is limited (optimized) though. But I can easily backup via wi-fi to my Google account regularly because I don't connect via USB as often.

With 5000 pics, it's going to take awhile.
Old 06-04-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but the photo backup needs to be done anyway unless she's fine with potentially losing everything if her phone gets wiped. I finally gave in this year and just bought more cloud storage from apple directly, which is probably what they want anyway.
Old 06-04-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I did a full photo backup on the Amazon Cloud. The iCloud so far has imported 1750 photos out of the 5000. We'll see how this goes.
Old 06-05-19, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
1k for a monitor stand. I'm officially past the "defend apple prices" phase.
Right, except that the closest displays to actually being capable of the same things are in the $20K to $40K range.
Now you can make a strong argument that Apple should *also* have released a 27 Apple Cinema Display equivalent to the 5K iMac display for developers to use for the Mac Pro, Mac Mini & MacBook Pro without having to buy 3rd party displays that are probably inferior to the iMac display.
Old 06-05-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

Right, except that the closest displays to actually being capable of the same things are in the $20K to $40K range.
Now you can make a strong argument that Apple should *also* have released a 27 Apple Cinema Display equivalent to the 5K iMac display for developers to use for the Mac Pro, Mac Mini & MacBook Pro without having to buy 3rd party displays that are probably inferior to the iMac display.
Oh, I don't care about the cost of the monitor. I'm not going to buy one, so I have no idea how it measures up to 20k monitors. But no stand included, and you have to pay either 200 bucks for an adapter or 1000 dollars for a stand?
Old 06-05-19, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Oh, I don't care about the cost of the monitor. I'm not going to buy one, so I have no idea how it measures up to 20k monitors. But no stand included, and you have to pay either 200 bucks for an adapter or 1000 dollars for a stand?
By all means, point to a free monitor stands that allows to adjust a 32", 26 lbs monitor by tilting it or flipping it between portrait and landscape mode or to alter its height. I'll bet it doesn't exist, at any price.

Yes, the $200 VESA mount should have been free.
Old 06-06-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By all means, point to a free monitor stands that allows to adjust a 32", 26 lbs monitor by tilting it or flipping it between portrait and landscape mode or to alter its height. I'll bet it doesn't exist, at any price.
Haven't bought a monitor in a while? The last 2 or 3 I've purchased all included stands which allowed all of this. I'm buying better quality gaming monitors but they still pale in cost. I can flip to landscape, tilt, move up/down. It even has a built in hook for a headset to rest on.
Old 06-06-19, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Haven't bought a monitor in a while? The last 2 or 3 I've purchased all included stands which allowed all of this. I'm buying better quality gaming monitors but they still pale in cost. I can flip to landscape, tilt, move up/down. It even has a built in hook for a headset to rest on.
Can you please send me a link? I'll be very glad to be pleasantly surprised that it is common to have 32" high res displays flippable to portrait mode, etc.
Old 06-06-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you please send me a link? I'll be very glad to be pleasantly surprised that it is common to have 32" high res displays flippable to portrait mode, etc.
There are a bunch in the gaming monitor space. Here's an example I found quickly on Amazon.

Amazon Amazon

Only thing that would keep a monitor from going portrait these days is if it's a curved model. Most any good gaming monitor which is a flat screen will offer full motion on the stand, which is included.
Old 06-06-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The display hits 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. No other consumer grade monitor hits that. The ones that do are 20k and up.
Old 06-06-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
The display hits 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. No other consumer grade monitor hits that. The ones that do are 20k and up.
OLED monitors are starting to come out so this isn't true. They're expensive....like 5K but not the 20k you mention. For a Pro non-oled, you're probably right. But OLED tech is going to make that price range plummet.
Old 06-06-19, 02:54 PM

There are a bunch in the gaming monitor space. Here's an example I found quickly on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TTXLW5...07BDQNDKY?th=1

Only thing that would keep a monitor from going portrait these days is if it's a curved model. Most any good gaming monitor which is a flat screen will offer full motion on the stand, which is included.
I have a feeling that because the Apple monitor weighs almost twice as much, the kind of stand the LG has wouldn't survive, but yes Apple should have figured out a better way to avoid bad publicity than by selling the stand separately for a grand. Thank you for pointing out the LG!

I do stand by my original assertion that if the had *also* release a one grand iMac (5K, 27") equivalent display, normal stand and all, people would mainly be complementing them for the high end monitor being a breakthrough low priced compared to the existing equivalent (in the one quarter to one seventh range of price),
Old 06-06-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't speak to the LG I linked but I have an Acer monitor and the stand is metal and very heavy. Probably as robust as the Apple stand in every way.

Bottom line, there's absolutely nothing that could be in that stand that would make it worth even a fraction of 1,000. For that price it should be completely made out of carbon fiber, have a USB/Thunderbolt hub built in, and a wireless charger for your phone. Even then, 1k is pushing it.

And for reference, I have almost always used an iPhone and own both an iPad Pro and Macbook Pro. This isn't just Apple hate; I am a supporter, just not of this product.

Last edited by Noonan; 06-06-19 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 03:10 PM

OLED monitors are starting to come out so this isn't true. They're expensive....like 5K but not the 20k you mention. For a Pro non-oled, you're probably right. But OLED tech is going to make that price range plummet.
If they had $5K reference monitors, Apple would have been competing with them, but they don't.
Here is the actual competition:
https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/broa...tors/bvm-hx310
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/09/...itor-ibc-2018/
https://cinescopophilia.com/canon-40...rence-display/
(Note that these are 4K, not 6K, etc. etc)

Old 06-06-19, 03:16 PM

I can't speak to the LG I linked but I have an Acer monitor and the stand is metal and very heavy. Probably as robust as the Apple stand in every way.

Bottom line, there's absolutely nothing that could be in that stand that would make it worth even a fraction of 1,000. For that price it should be completely made out of carbon fiber, have a USB/Thunderbolt hub built in, and a wireless charger for your phone. Even then, 1k is pushing it.

And for reference, I have almost always used an iPhone and own both an iPad Pro and Macbook Pro. This isn't just Apple hate; I am a supporter, just not of this product.
I think we agree but just slightly differently - I don't think Apple shouldn't compete at the very high end, thus the $6K+++ Mac Pro & the $5,200 to $7K monitor. The problem is that the $2K Mac Pro & ~ $1K Apple Cinema Display they used to release no longer exist, unless you want to count the current low end "27 iMac. If they still existed, problem solved.
Old 06-06-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not claiming to know anything about Pro grade monitors or the Apple monitor itself. My beef (and comments) are regarding the stand and its absurd price. Just because it's designed for their Pro monitor doesn't mean a basic metal monitor stand should be "Pro priced". It's metal and it holds a monitor. It offers nothing else. It sounds like the 5k price of the monitor itself is a great deal. That stand though...
Old 06-06-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think we agree but just slightly differently - I don't think Apple shouldn't compete at the very high end, thus the $6K+++ Mac Pro & the $5,200 to $7K monitor. The problem is that the $2K Mac Pro & ~ $1K Apple Cinema Display they used to release no longer exist, unless you want to count the current low end "27 iMac. If they still existed, problem solved.
Well, there's still the iMac Pro, which fits at that price point you're lamenting, but isn't as customizable. So they're addressing that market, but not in the way you want.
Old 06-06-19, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Well, there's still the iMac Pro, which fits at that price point you're lamenting, but isn't as customizable. So they're addressing that market, but not in the way you want.
Still fairly different - I literally bought my 2009 Mac Pro (immediately after it was released) for ~$2K - and at some point after a 27" Apple Cinema Display. The iMac Pro (which is supposed to absolutely fantastic starts at $5K)

But, there is a more fundamental difference than the price itself - my 2009 Mac Pro is still alive, well and very actively in use as my Home Theater PC, etc. And it was readily continually upgradable - it now has a SSD boot drive, and 4 huge HDs, the largest one being 14TB, so I could readily have 56TB of spinning hard drives and 6TBs of SSDs. Such a future of an iMac is simply not possible - thus I'd need to replace it with a vastly better MacPro at 3 times the price.

Honestly I'd do it without hesitation except that 10 years from now Intel CPUs may be total dead ducks. If I can survive until they switch it to ARM CPUs, I'd feel a lot more comfortable. We'll see.
Old 06-09-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
But, why is it even $5k, if it isn't an OLED monitor? Don't OLEDs have an infinite contrast ratio?

Also, why not just buy a 65" LG OLED display intead of this 32" model? Then you'd have 4x the screen real estate, still have 4k resolution, and even better technology.

What am I missing? Why do comparable monitors cost $20k? Why is $5k such a good deal? It seems vastly overpriced to me, considering OLEDs are available in 55" and 65" from LG.
Old 06-09-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
But, why is it even $5k, if it isn't an OLED monitor? Don't OLEDs have an infinite contrast ratio?

Also, why not just buy a 65" LG OLED display intead of this 32" model? Then you'd have 4x the screen real estate, still have 4k resolution, and even better technology.

What am I missing? Why do comparable monitors cost $20k? Why is $5k such a good deal? It seems vastly overpriced to me, considering OLEDs are available in 55" and 65" from LG.

Post #1567 has answers. It's also a 6K (resolution) monitor. Not that you would even use this display as a home theater display but you could watch native 4K- 6K (resolution) material along with post production work and other visual effects heavy work.