Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 02-07-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Apple Thread

What do I look for in an inexpensive/possibly used Apple TV?

I have the very latest one in my bar and love. But I want to put another one in my gym for when working out. I’m currently using a cheap Amazon stick, but I can’t get it to stream movies I’ve bought thru Apple.

I dont need 4k for sure. But I have hung a decent 1080p TV in gym, so want something decent. I haven’t looked...are used really any cheaper than new.
Old 02-07-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I have the very latest one in my bar and love. But I want to put another one in my gym for when working out. Iím currently using a cheap Amazon stick, but I canít get it to stream movies Iíve bought thru Apple.
Do you have Movies Anywhere set up and connected to both iTunes and Prime Video?
https://moviesanywhere.com/settings/connect

That should get the bulk of your major studio iTunes purchases on Amazon.
Old 02-07-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Do you have Movies Anywhere set up and connected to both iTunes and Prime Video?
https://moviesanywhere.com/settings/connect

That should get the bulk of your major studio iTunes purchases on Amazon.
Whaaaaat! Hold my beer, Iíll b back...
Old 02-08-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey thanks Jay...that worked!

Before I posted I did a google and d/l a mirror app to the Firestick. Of course it wouldn’t work with protected movies (which was pretty much all of them). So I mistakenly assumed that would be the case with all such apps. Thus the need for a Apple TV.

I first put then app on phone. But I really don’t need it ther do I? I put the App on my firestick and it worked fine (couple movies were missed as I assume not every studio is on board).
Old 02-08-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I first put then app on phone. But I really don’t need it ther do I? I put the App on my firestick and it worked fine (couple movies were missed as I assume not every studio is on board).
Yeah, the Movies Anywhere App can just play directly from your firestick, if that's the app you're asking about. If you connected MA with Amazon, you don't even necessarily need the MA app, since the Prime Video app should also be showing all your MA movies.

And yes, not every studio is on board with MA.... yet. Paramount stuck with Ultraviolet, although now that UV is closing up they may switch to MA. MGM never signed up with UV, and doesn't look like it's going to sign on to MA.

There's more info about MA in this thread in the streaming forum:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-...iscussion.html
Old 02-08-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In typical corporate fashion, my boss purchased AppleTVs to go with new projectors that my group received. The new projector I desperately needed ... the AppleTV?

I asked my boss what we are expected to do with it. She said figure it out ó they were approved in the budget so figure out how to make it useful. So, naturally, I am turning to DVDTalk.

For my job I give a large number of presentations each year. The audience can range from school kids to fire fighters to senior citizens. Iíve figured out that I can use it as the link between my iPad or computer and the projector or TV. Thatís a pretty expensive wireless adapter.

It streams TV and movies from streaming services, but I donít have any work purpose for that.

I read something about developing apps ... is it something that I could build an interactive presentation or game on?

The only other thing I can think of is using to build a ďsmart homeĒ display for events.

Iím not familiar with it and havenít even turned it on yet ... so how about it? What are some other business use cases for this thing?

Old 02-08-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
In typical corporate fashion, my boss purchased AppleTVs to go with new projectors that my group received. The new projector I desperately needed ... the AppleTV?

I asked my boss what we are expected to do with it. She said figure it out ó they were approved in the budget so figure out how to make it useful. So, naturally, I am turning to DVDTalk
I can't come up with a reason this would be better.
An Apple TV needs an internet connection. So, assuming you are at someone else's place you would need to connect to their network (wifi/LAN) or if your company gives you a smartphone you can use it as a Hotspot.
In order to use AirPlay (cast a video/pictures to Apple TV from another device) they both have to be on the same Network. It probably still wouldn't work on most larger corporate networks. I never experimented using my iPhone as hotspot and using Airplay to Apple TV that is connected to my iPhone hotspot, so not sure if that works or not. But if you're casting from a computer, its just easier to connect your computer to the projector.

As far as App development, you would probably have to hire someone unless you know how to do it. IMO, that sounds like something the company should do. Especially since it sounds like there is more than just you presenting. They might even have someone in house that could do it.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.
Old 02-12-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got a question about YouTube and IOS/IPads.

Does YouTube as an app drain IOS super fast? I have an old Apple IPad Air 2. For the most part, I can get around 5-6 hours of usage on a full charge these days. Maybe a little more.

However, when I use YouTube, it seems to drain the battery so much faster. I was watching a 90 minute YouTube Podcast today on a full 100% charge, when it was done, I was down to 19% WTF?

When I used it a few weeks ago to watch a 3 hour podcast, I was down to 9%. Seems a little weird that YouTube is the one eating up the battery. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this?

Or being that my IPad is 4 years old now (bought it in 2015) that this is just the nature of the beast with the battery dying faster?

I sort of thought about getting one of those new IPad pros. However, I just spent $600+ on a new desktop I needed a lot more and I don't really have $800-900 right now to blow on new and expensive tech.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-12-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have an iPad Air that’s five years old. I got about ten hours of battery out of it when it was new. Now, five years later, I get anywhere from five hours to ten hours out of it. Typically I get between six and a half to eight and a half hours from a full charge.

I don’t notice youtube — viewed from Safari — draining the battery particularly fast, though I think using headphones drains the battery quicker. (I have Skull Candy Crushers). I don’t like the youtube app so I don’t use it. As a general rule, if I can do it through the browser (youtube, facebook, twitter) I use that and not the app.

Some apps will eat the battery charge like a motherfucker, though. One game, in particular, seems like it takes a percentage every couple of minutes.

I’d wager that watching videos is pretty energy-consuming; you’re using the wifi, the speakers, and the CPU constantly.
Old 02-12-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Screen brightness is a big factor when watching videos too.

Not sure what is the latest iOS you can have on that model iPad, but see if it has the Battery info under Settings>Battery.
It will tell you what app is using battery and how much % & time.
Old 02-12-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The battery settings says that YouTube is consuming 69% of my battery, Wow.

I also turned down the brightness as well.
Old 02-13-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Try watching youtube through Safari and see how much battery that eats.
Old 02-14-19, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

I asked my boss what we are expected to do with it. She said figure it out ó they were approved in the budget so figure out how to make it useful. So, naturally, I am turning to DVDTalk.

For my job I give a large number of presentations each year. The audience can range from school kids to fire fighters to senior citizens. Iíve figured out that I can use it as the link between my iPad or computer and the projector or TV. Thatís a pretty expensive wireless adapter.

It streams TV and movies from streaming services, but I donít have any work purpose for that.

I read something about developing apps ... is it something that I could build an interactive presentation or game on?

The only other thing I can think of is using to build a ďsmart homeĒ display for events.

Iím not familiar with it and havenít even turned it on yet ... so how about it? What are some other business use cases for this thing?

would probably need more info, but maybe you could use it to have an interactive gallery (or something) through keynote? Granted thatís the same as a computer setup to run the same thing...
Old 02-14-19, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Got a question about YouTube and IOS/IPads.

Does YouTube as an app drain IOS super fast? I have an old Apple IPad Air 2. For the most part, I can get around 5-6 hours of usage on a full charge these days. Maybe a little more.

However, when I use YouTube, it seems to drain the battery so much faster. I was watching a 90 minute YouTube Podcast today on a full 100% charge, when it was done, I was down to 19% WTF?

When I used it a few weeks ago to watch a 3 hour podcast, I was down to 9%. Seems a little weird that YouTube is the one eating up the battery. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this?

Or being that my IPad is 4 years old now (bought it in 2015) that this is just the nature of the beast with the battery dying faster?

I sort of thought about getting one of those new IPad pros. However, I just spent $600+ on a new desktop I needed a lot more and I don't really have $800-900 right now to blow on new and expensive tech.
I have an iPad Mini thatís 4-5 years old too. It has definitely started to run through battery a lot faster. Just last night, looking at a handful of forum posts through Tapatalk took 5% out in about 10-15 minutes.

id like a pro too, but with bendgate Iím trying to hold off until next refresh. Or if the new Mini thatís supposed to be coming out soon looks good for the price, I may go that route.
Old 02-14-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does the iPad have a battery life indicator like the iphone does in the latest firmware? I haven't updated my ipad since the update that disabled non 64 bit apps.
Old 02-15-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Otters:

I need some help with an iPhone. I'm an Android guy so I'm uncertain how to go about doing this.

I have an iPhone SE (IOS 12.1.4) that I picked up several months ago (WalMart refurb, $25 with the purchase of a prepaid card). I have a family member heading to France for a weeks' vacation next week whose domestic phone is CDMA (Sprint) and I'm letting them borrow my iPhone (GSM) so they can grab a prepaid SIM at the airport on arrival and have phone/internet/text access while running around Paris. I clearly don't want them accessing my account, email, iTunes stuff, payment info, etc and I *could* just wipe the phone before handing it over, of course. But I'm hoping there's a straightforward way to save my personal settings, then turn off access to my account and let them put their own account info on there.... then when they return the phone, nuke their settings and restore mine. Kinda like one would do when loaning a Chromebook.

So... is this possible, and how do I go about doing that? Thanks!
Old 02-18-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just do a backup, to a computer or to the cloud if possible.

Reset.

And when they come back, do a reset again. And restore from backup, PC or the cloud.
Old 02-18-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Got a problem. I have an iPhone 6s. Running iOS 6 or 7. I don't want to install newer version. Every time it asks to update I dodge it. Tonight I somehow didn't dodge it and it started updating. I desperately tried to stop it. Held down all the buttons to try and turn it off. Now the phone is stuck on a black screen telling me to plug device into computer with iTunes.

I am am on vacation and am far away from my laptop. What can I do to restore?
Old 02-19-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The battery settings says that YouTube is consuming 69% of my battery, Wow.

I also turned down the brightness as well.
Most of the stuff on YouTube is pretty dumbed down already, are you sure turning the brightness down was a good idea?
Old 02-19-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Got a problem. I have an iPhone 6s. Running iOS 6 or 7. I don't want to install newer version. Every time it asks to update I dodge it. Tonight I somehow didn't dodge it and it started updating. I desperately tried to stop it. Held down all the buttons to try and turn it off. Now the phone is stuck on a black screen telling me to plug device into computer with iTunes.

unless youíre out of the country go to an Apple Store and see if they can help. But your phone is pretty ancient and IOS 12 would have probably made it unusable.
Old 02-19-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Otters:

I need some help with an iPhone. I'm an Android guy so I'm uncertain how to go about doing this.

I have an iPhone SE (IOS 12.1.4) that I picked up several months ago (WalMart refurb, $25 with the purchase of a prepaid card). I have a family member heading to France for a weeks' vacation next week whose domestic phone is CDMA (Sprint) and I'm letting them borrow my iPhone (GSM) so they can grab a prepaid SIM at the airport on arrival and have phone/internet/text access while running around Paris. I clearly don't want them accessing my account, email, iTunes stuff, payment info, etc and I *could* just wipe the phone before handing it over, of course. But I'm hoping there's a straightforward way to save my personal settings, then turn off access to my account and let them put their own account info on there.... then when they return the phone, nuke their settings and restore mine. Kinda like one would do when loaning a Chromebook.

So... is this possible, and how do I go about doing that? Thanks!
I am far from an expert, but I did a ďpractice purgeĒ awhile back on my work phone by signing out of my work AppleID. I signed in with my personal AppleID and it loaded that data. I signed out with my personal ID and then signed back in with my work ID and it restored all my work data. I think that was all I did, but I could be wrong (it was a while ago). I donít think Apple leaves much of anything on the device itself; itís almost all in their cloud.

I wouldnít take my word for it though. Can anybody else confirm?
Old 02-19-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

unless youíre out of the country go to an Apple Store and see if they can help. But your phone is pretty ancient and IOS 12 would have probably made it unusable.
I have two 6Ses (work and personal) and both are running iOS12 with no problem.

Jumping that many versions at one time might cause a problem though. As far as what to do, I think the only thing you can do is plug it in to iTunes. Basically, you blew it up in the process and now it canít do anything. Youíll have to restore it. (Again, not an expert here.)
Old 02-19-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

would probably need more info, but maybe you could use it to have an interactive gallery (or something) through keynote? Granted thatís the same as a computer setup to run the same thing...
Iím not familiar with Keynote ... can you tell me more?
Old 02-19-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

Shutting your iPhone down in the middle of an update is one of the worst things you can do, which is why they tell you not to do that. Your phone is basically bricked until it can be plugged into a computer. As DJariya stated, you may be able to take it to an Apple Store and they may be able to get it to a "factory reset" state, but you won't have any of your personal data on it. Do you normally back it up to iCloud or on your laptop?
Old 02-19-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm thinking about getting my iPhone 6S battery replaced by Apple. Has anyone here had their battery replaced? My maximum capacity is showing 71%. It randomly will shut down if it's around 30% and when I turn it back on will be around 10% or less.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.