Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 11-14-18, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Apple Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm as far from an Apple person as anyone, but the detailed experience didn't seem particularly bad to me if the biggest complaint is being directed to the right areas and the right people to help
When dealing with Apple people, a bit of hyperbole always helps. It's one way to maintain sanity in the face of overwheming yes-people!

Oh well, I'm not really anti-Apple -- many of their products are actually built well -- but I'm anti-price gouging, which Apple is great at doing.
Old 11-21-18, 08:39 AM

I'll throw this in here incase anyone else has this problem, or needs it in the future.

I have an old iPhone 4, and a 4s. I use a free app on them for motion detection then it records and uploads the video. And there's not much else I can use them for.

After my repair above I began getting prompted on every device to sign back into iCloud. The newer devices signed in fine, and I never got prompted on the 4s. But with two-factor authentication the iOS on the 4 does not support it (they used two-step verification).
I would get the code on a device that supports 2 factor, and the iPhone 4 would say something like enter your iCloud password followed by the code you receive.
I'd enter my password for iCloud then nothing would happen, there was nowhere to enter the authentication code.

I've been trying to get around this for days, wiped it, restore from backup etc. Finally found a post buried deep in a thread from 2016 (post was from Oct 2018) that finally worked.

What you have to do is enter your password and the code all together with no spaces. So if your password is IlikeTurtles and you receive a 2 factor code of 800303 you would enter IlikeTurtles800303 as the password on the old device. And it finally worked.

Sidenote, if you turn on two factor authentication, you can't turn it off. Unless it's within 2 weeks of turning on, and you kept the email.
Old 11-21-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's funny, I ran into the same problem with an old appleTV a while back. Same thing, you gotta enter the password and code together. Man, that was hard to find info on that!
Old 11-21-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
It's funny, I ran into the same problem with an old appleTV a while back. Same thing, you gotta enter the password and code together. Man, that was hard to find info on that!
Ugh, I ran into this about 2 months ago setting up someone's Apple TV.
Old 11-21-18, 12:20 PM

Where were you guys at when I needed you?
Old 11-21-18, 01:47 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
Where were you guys at when I needed you?
We were here, but you didn't ask. As an information source, DVDTalk >> Wikipedia > Google.
Old 11-21-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
We were here, but you didn't ask. As an information source, DVDTalk >> Wikipedia > Google.
Personally, I use Google first. If I've ever answered a question of yours here, there's a 90% chance I just found it via Google. Posting a question and waiting for a response is my last-ditch attempt to find an answer.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but searching "apple tv confirmation code" brings up the answer in the first link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=appl...frimation+code
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7533430

As mentioned in that Apple thread, Apple buries the info at the bottom of this 2FA help page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Searching specifically this phrase:
"iphone 4" confirmation code
Brings up this link as the first result:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7860133

The trick is to know what to ask for, and to refine your search. I originally searched for "iphone 4 confirmation code" without quotes around "iphone 4", which cause Google to return more general iPhone info, instead of info specifically for an iPhone 4.
Old 11-21-18, 02:33 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Personally, I use Google first. If I've ever answered a question of yours here, there's a 90% chance I just found it via Google. Posting a question and waiting for a response is my last-ditch attempt to find an answer.
I was kidding, but only partly. Google usually has the correct answer, but it is sometimes buried in a lot of irrelevant or sometimes wrong information. DVDTalk answers are more specific to our question, and we get the chance to ask follow-up questions. That is more true in Tech Talk, and you are a big part of that . In "Other Talk", well yes, that's... something else.
Old 12-02-18, 01:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Anyone know how to fix why I can’t hold and delete a favorite website in safari? iPhone X.
Sometimes I hold and the delete/edit comes up for a favorite and sometimes no matter what I do nothing comes up. Thanks.
Old 12-23-18, 10:56 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention if you go in to Apple, make sure you are updated to the most current version. They check that too.
I got my phone battery replaced today. Even though I didn't have an appointment and the store was really crowded, I had to wait only one hour before they started, and it took one hour. So far so good. Great to see maximum capacity at 100% again.
Old 12-26-18, 10:43 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been two days since I got the phone battery replaced, even though the old one still rated 85%, above the 80% recommended threshold recommended by Apple. Really happy I did. Now I can easily make it through one day without recharging with normal usage, whereas previously things got borderline around dinnertime.
Old 12-29-18, 12:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

So I fortunately remember to use my ~$300 Costco Rewards check before it expires Monday. Wife and I are browsing the store and not really finding anything we need or seems a great deal. I offer to buy her jewelry multiple times but she refuses, then she randomly suggests, “why don’t you buy a smart watch?” So now I’ve got the new Apple Watch and have no idea what to do with it.
Old 12-29-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
So I fortunately remember to use my ~$300 Costco Rewards check before it expires Monday.
Just FYI, for any of those Costco Rewards checks, you can take them to the Member Services desk and have them pay it out in cash.
Old 12-29-18, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Just FYI, for any of those Costco Rewards checks, you can take them to the Member Services desk and have them pay it out in cash.
Woah, thanks! Iíll probably keep the watch, but Iíll take my full 90 days to decide, and if itís not better than sliced bread Iíll take the cash.
Old 12-29-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Also you can buy any item, even a loaf of bread and they will give you the remaining $296 back in cash, should you not want to go to member services which can sometimes be a long wait
Old 12-30-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We have an issue where all the photos we’ve taken with our iPhones and are trying to transfer to our Pc all have the same file name (like Image_001 or something like that). My wife is currently renaming them one at a time, does anyone know a quicker way?
Old 12-30-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
We have an issue where all the photos weíve taken with our iPhones and are trying to transfer to our Pc all have the same file name (like Image_001 or something like that). My wife is currently renaming them one at a time, does anyone know a quicker way?
How are you transferring them? Windows should rename them automatically when using File Explorer if you choose "keep both", although the naming isn't imaginative (Image_001, Image_001 (2), Image_001 (3), etc.)

Bulk Rename Utility is a program I use when I want to rename a large number of files a certain way. It looks complicated due to all the options shown on one screen, but just pick the option you need and change it.
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

This article has a number of ways to rename files:
https://www.howtogeek.com/111859/how...ultiple-files/
Old 12-30-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh... I hate the way iOS saves files from the internet with generic filenames instead of the actual filenames like Windows does. I wish it at least stored the original name in the metadata or something.
Old 01-04-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
We have an issue where all the photos weíve taken with our iPhones and are trying to transfer to our Pc all have the same file name (like Image_001 or something like that). My wife is currently renaming them one at a time, does anyone know a quicker way?
FWIW I use iCloud to transfer and its by far the quickest as photos just show up automagically on the windows PC. Setup icloud on the iphone install icloud for windows https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283 and sign in there and the photos appear in there own folder.

Old 01-28-19, 07:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Latest iPhone "hack" is that someone can send you a FaceTime audio request and, before you accept, they can hear you.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/28/facetime-bug-hear-audio/

Hereís how to do the iPhone FaceTime bug:

Start a FaceTime Video call with an iPhone contact.
Whilst the call is dialling, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap Add Person.
Add your own phone number in the Add Person screen.
You will then start a group FaceTime call including yourself and the audio of the person you originally called, even if they havenít accepted the call yet.
It will look like in the UI like the other person has joined the group chat, but on their actual device it will still be ringing on the lockscreen.
It gets kinda worse:
What we have also found is that if the person presses the Power button from the lock screen, their video is also sent to the caller ó unbeknownst to them. In this situation, the receiver can now hear your own audio, but they do not know they are transmitting their audio and video back to you. From their perspective, all they can see is accept and decline.
Old 01-28-19, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Latest iPhone "hack" is that someone can send you a FaceTime audio request and, before you accept, they can hear you.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/28/facetime-bug-hear-audio/

It gets kinda worse:
Iíve tried to recreate this and have failed.
Old 01-28-19, 08:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to do it using my phone and my wife's phone. Failed on the first try, but worked every time after that.
Old 01-28-19, 09:33 PM

I think your wife’s been spying on me anyway, FaceTime disabled.
Old 01-29-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/29/tim-c...cing-comments/

Nah really... Price a factor in decline in iPhone sales. Lol
Old 01-31-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ya'll know about this? I have an iphone for work. I never use facetime let alone "Group Facetime" but...

Arizona teen claims he discovered major Apple FaceTime glitch

iPhone FaceTime bug lets other people eavesdrop on you

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.