Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 04-05-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Apple Thread

Ok, I'm not going to get a Surface, I'm going to get the new iPad (2018) looking for good price now...will get the larger memory version, wifi only.

One of the biggest thing I want is a intermediate photo-editing program. Preferably that will handle RAW. Suggestions?
Old 04-05-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apple will dump Intel and use its own chips in Macs, sources say

By BLOOMBERG
APR 02, 2018 | 5:05 PM

In 2005, Apple announced a move to Intel chips in its Macs, an initiative that later put former Intel Chief Executive Paul Ottelini, right, on stage with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs at the 2006 Macworld expo. (Justin Sullivan / Getty Images)

Apple Inc. is planning to use its own chips in Mac computers beginning as early as 2020, replacing processors from Intel Corp., according to people familiar with the plans.

The initiative, code-named Kalamata, is still in the early developmental stages but comes as part of a larger strategy to make all of Apple's devices — including Macs, iPhones, and iPads — work more similarly and seamlessly together, said the sources , who asked not to be identified discussing private information. The project, which executives have approved, probably will result in a multi-step transition.

Source
Guess that intel hack virus bite Intel in the ass
Old 04-19-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone picked up the new iPad? Thinking about finally replacing my old Mini. Pencil compatibility is tempting since I could use it to take notes at work.
Old 04-19-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Has anyone picked up the new iPad? Thinking about finally replacing my old Mini. Pencil compatibility is tempting since I could use it to take notes at work.
I was about to pick up the 128 version. But some are running deals on the 64g 10.7Ē Pro making it within a $125ish of the current iPad. Bigger, better screen, smart connector more RAM.

Iíll probably stick to the newest 128g 2018 model. While I would love to do more advanced photo editing, in reality Iíll probably load it with movies to watch when traveling, and more basic stuff.

If the Pro actually came with the pencil (or even keyboard) it might push me over the edge.

MicroCenter has the 64g 10.5" Pro for $499. I'm leaning towards that now.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-20-18 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question that I've been curious about since I got the 8 Plus at launch. I don't know what gesture or button combo I press but sometimes all my app icons will shift down, leaving the top half of the screen empty. I don't recall it ever happening on my 6. Pretty sure it can happen with an app open as well, not just the home screen. What exactly is that for?
Old 05-03-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question that I've been curious about since I got the 8 Plus at launch. I don't know what gesture or button combo I press but sometimes all my app icons will shift down, leaving the top half of the screen empty. I don't recall it ever happening on my 6. Pretty sure it can happen with an app open as well, not just the home screen. What exactly is that for?
Reachability .....

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-u...hone-6-6-plus/
Old 05-03-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, thanks. Nice to see it's a feature I can turn off!
Old 05-03-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow! I've wondered about that for a long time. I never tried to research about it though.
Old 05-04-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cool. turned it off on my phone as well
Old 05-09-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked up a 10.5" iPad Pro for $499. Just think a better value than iPad 6. Tho I wanted more memory, 64g will be plenty for a couple of movies at a time.

Can anyone recommend a slim keyboard case for the Pro?

I want a pen, but not in a hurry.

Any other must have accessories?

Update, only a few day with my pro and I love it! I really suggest anyone looking at 6 (128gig) look at a pro unless the memory is the absolute most important.

I found a 128g 6 for $399. I got the 64g 10.5” Pro for $499. The 4 speakers come in real handy and really help the sound. The screen is amazing yet is only slightly taller than my old 9.7”. On vacation but might go by Apple store (or Best Buy) and get an Apple Pencil.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-11-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just picked up Apple Pencil. Love it! Itís really a game changer.

I also picked up a portfolio case w/BT keyboard off Amazon. Itís actually pretty good for the cost. But it is way to big and heavy. Iíll likely keep is see if the actual Apple Smart Keyboard/cover drops as they clear inventory for the new models. I used just the plain magnetic cover on my old iPad for years and years.
Old 05-25-18, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Just picked up Apple Pencil. Love it! It’s really a game changer.

I also picked up a portfolio case w/BT keyboard off Amazon. It’s actually pretty good for the cost. But it is way to big and heavy. I’ll likely keep is see if the actual Apple Smart Keyboard/cover drops as they clear inventory for the new models. I used just the plain magnetic cover on my old iPad for years and years.
This is the one?
Amazon Amazon

I had a Logitech equivalent for the 9.7" iPad Pro - using the Smart Connector, not Bluetooth (which IMO is crucial, because you avoid ever having to charge yet another device, works fine when the iPad is in Airplane mode, etc.) - the Logitech keyboard is superb, backlit, but like you, my reaction was: way too big and heavy.

When I gave my wife the 9.7" Pro and upgraded to the 10.5" iPad Pro I ended up getting this back panel with pencil slot:
Amazon Amazon
as well as the standard Apple smart connector keyboard - result: vastly thiner and lighter than the Logitech version, which is crucial to me because I basically don't get on the crowded subway without my iPad - it has to be light, thin and securely protected.
Old 05-25-18, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've still been on the fence for a new iPad; haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Sdallnct - Is the screen on the Pro noticeably better than a standard iPad?
Old 05-31-18, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was about to pick up the 128 version. But some are running deals on the 64g 10.7Ē Pro making it within a $125ish of the current iPad. Bigger, better screen, smart connector more RAM.

Iíll probably stick to the newest 128g 2018 model. While I would love to do more advanced photo editing, in reality Iíll probably load it with movies to watch when traveling, and more basic stuff.

If the Pro actually came with the pencil (or even keyboard) it might push me over the edge.

Revisiting the iPad topic. I ended up getting a refurbished 12.9" Pro w/Pencil. The thing is huge, although I'm coming from a 5 year old Mini.

Any Pro users have some tips which I may not know coming from an older iPad? Other than specs, I'm not sure what it offers over the others.

Question for anyone with a Pencil. The one I received doesn't seem to want to pair. I plugged it in for about 30 minutes; when I connect it to the iPad the pop up to Pair shows up but it doesn't connect. When I got to the BT menu and select it manually, the pair is unsuccessful due to taking too long. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible the Pencil is defective?
Old 05-31-18, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Question for anyone with a Pencil. The one I received doesn't seem to want to pair. I plugged it in for about 30 minutes; when I connect it to the iPad the pop up to Pair shows up but it doesn't connect. When I got to the BT menu and select it manually, the pair is unsuccessful due to taking too long. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible the Pencil is defective?
Did you try the troubleshooting at the bottom of this page?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236
Old 05-31-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Did you try the troubleshooting at the bottom of this page?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236
Yeah, did all of that when I looked it up last night (except contacting Apple).

When I click Pair when it pops up, it will quickly show it Connected in the BT menu, then move down to a device to pair manually. When I click on it in the BT menu to pair is when I get the "Pair Unsuccessful" message after maybe 10 seconds.
Old 05-31-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, did all of that when I looked it up last night (except contacting Apple).
Sounds like a bum Pencil then, unless the iPad is at fault. I assume both are refurbished? Are they refurbished from Apple?

Is there some other Bluetooth device you can try pairing with the iPad?
Old 05-31-18, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Other devices on the iPad work fine.

I let the Pencil charge overnight in case it just didn't have enough juice the first time. if it still doesn't work when I get home I guess I'll be speaking with Apple.
Old 06-03-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have an issue I wonder if anyone has experienced recently:

I have 3 old digital copy discs that I tried redeeming through iTunes (have not redeemed even though they say it expired) and none of them work after the latest iTunes update.

In the last month, I managed to find about 10 digital copy discs that I did not redeem yet from my BD collection from years ago and managed to redeem all of them with no issues. It also downloads an iTunes digital copy file to my hard drive (old school way of redeeming digital movies) However, after the newest iTunes update, once I put in the disc and launch iTunes, nothing happens. iTunes store just goes to a blank screen. No prompt to input the code.

I checked another forum and it appears I'm not alone with this issue.

Was there any news that these digital copy DVDs have been phased out by iTunes? I don't really care since I own the discs already. I wanted to finally redeem them since some of them transfer to MA. But, if they officially don't work, so be it. If you're wondering these codes don't work without the discs. You can't take the code and try to redeem them at MA or Vudu. They don't work. They need to be redeemed through iTunes after inserting the disc.
Old 06-04-18, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the movie studio moved on to Movies Anywhere or UltraViolet, I typically just try entering the movie code into Vudu. MA titles will migrate back over to iTunes. UV titles won't but you'll have a digital copy on Vudu.

I had a Peter Pan digital copy code where iTunes wouldn't load the digital copy disc, but I was able to activate on Movies Anywhere (at the time Disney Movies Anywhere). On the other hand, I had a digital copy of Trainspotting that I both couldn't get the digital copy disc to load in iTunes, and I couldn't activate anywhere else.
Old 06-05-18, 02:24 AM
Cool New Member

Anyway , I dare not do that
Old 06-05-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apple TV 4K release date?

Read that HD and 4K movies on iTUnes would be priced the same and owned HD movies would be upgraded to 4k when available.
Old 06-18-18, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Apple TV 4K release date?

Read that HD and 4K movies on iTUnes would be priced the same and owned HD movies would be upgraded to 4k when available.
Yes, that is all true, and it happened late last year. We watched the 4K version of Blade Runner 2048, absolutely superb. Besides the growing selection of 4K movies through iTunes/Apple TV 4K, Netflix has growing 4K materiel as well.
Old 06-18-18, 09:39 AM

My wife works for the mighty Apple Corp. Within a handful of years she's risen from call center girl to floor manager/trainer. They've sent her all around the country and there are plans for a seminar in Jamaica coming up. Naturally, she gets all of their electro-doodads free of charge, for 'training purposes'.

They've always treated her well and I've got no actual issues with them, but if I'm being 100% honest, there does seem to be a vibe of extreme corporate eeriness - an almost sinister sense of duplicitousness - to many of their practices & procedures.

Old 08-02-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cracked $1 trillion US Market Cap. Crazy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b041fd2d2b4f45

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.