DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-19-12, 02:52 PM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Apple Thread

You can buy an electronic iTunes $50,gift card for $40 from Walmart

http://slickdeals.net/f/5721914-50-I...0-Walmart-com?

If you are near a Von's or subway, you can gt $60 gc for $36
http://slickdeals.net/f/5709296-60-i...ossible-43-off
Old 12-19-12, 05:46 PM   #102
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I think you mean Safeway. I'm stealing this for the gift card thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post

Old 12-19-12, 09:44 PM   #103
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm42 View Post
Yes. The Apple Airport Express. It plugs in, connects to your wifi, and you can then run an audio cable (analog or optical) to your home stereo. I stream music both from my home computer over wifi, and directly from my iPhone over wifi.

Even Apple employees at the Apple store have no idea what the Airport Express does.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
Seems silly for this to be the same price as the Apple TV given how much less it does.
Old 12-19-12, 10:25 PM   #104
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Seems silly for this to be the same price as the Apple TV given how much less it does.
Er... huh? It's primarily a router.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-19-12, 10:57 PM   #105
DVD Talk God

fuck, had i seen that safeway deal, i would've bought that instead of the walmart one. doh.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 12-20-12, 02:29 AM   #106
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
fuck, had i seen that safeway deal, i would've bought that instead of the walmart one. doh.
You can still get it. Do iTunes gift cards expire?
Old 12-20-12, 02:41 AM   #107
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Er... huh? It's primarily a router.
Pretty expensive one at that,my $10 router works fine for my needs. This one is better by all accounts, but paying 1000% the price of my cheapo router, I would hope so. But admittedly, i don't use much apple ecosystem.
Old 12-20-12, 08:28 AM   #108
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahn View Post
You can still get it. Do iTunes gift cards expire?
it was for a gift. i want nothing to do with apple and iTunes, so buying more would just be pointless since i'd have to hang onto it and gift it in the future.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 12-20-12, 10:36 AM   #109
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Pretty expensive one at that,my $10 router works fine for my needs. This one is better by all accounts, but paying 1000% the price of my cheapo router, I would hope so. But admittedly, i don't use much apple ecosystem.
It's in line with other high end routers, so its not too crazy.

Old 12-20-12, 11:26 AM   #110
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
It's more in line with other mid-range routers (at least, those with reasonable quality, unlike something you would get for $10). A high end router could set you back well over $150.

The Airport Express has pretty much the same feature set as my mid-range Linksys E2500, but it also has Airplay, and it's only $20 more. That seems pretty reasonable to me.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 12-20-12, 11:43 AM   #111
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah it's more like a mid-range router, I just consider any consumer router priced $100 and above high end for most people. $150 is probably more accurate.

As far as features though, its also lacking additional LAN ports which most other brands include, which could be a detriment for people that prefer wired connections or the cost of a $15 switch.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-20-12 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-20-12, 12:02 PM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
It's more in line with other mid-range routers (at least, those with reasonable quality, unlike something you would get for $10). A high end router could set you back well over $150.

The Airport Express has pretty much the same feature set as my mid-range Linksys E2500, but it also has Airplay, and it's only $20 more. That seems pretty reasonable to me.
I am sure you are right, hence why I said it is overkill for my needs. I never said it was overpriced compared to other equivalent routers.

I am just used to buying cheap $10 routers that does my needs. i am currently using a Linksys E1200, and I am sure that $100 routers are better featured, have dual band, gigabit, usb, etc. BTW, I personally consider my E1200 to be of reasonable quality, although, just less featured than higher end models. I just need a router that supports my devices for internet connectivity and wireless printing which the E1200 does.

Quote:
Yeah it's more like a mid-range router, I just consider any consumer router priced $100 and above high end for most people. $150 is probably more accurate.

As far as features though, its also lacking additional LAN ports which most other brands include, which could be a detriment for people that prefer wired connections or the cost of a $15 switch.
I have 3 ethernet lines connected to my router, and 2 ethernet switches that i paid $2 a piece for. And before anyone has to ask, yes, these are cheap switches, no gigabit. but imo, still reasonable quality switches.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 12-20-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 12:41 PM   #113
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A Linksys E1200 is not a $10 router. It retails for $60, and even on sale, the best price I have ever seen was $29. But yes, it is a reasonable quality entry-level router.
My DVDs
Old 12-20-12, 12:49 PM   #114
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

That's true. It does lack an integrated switch. The way my house is wired I don't use the switch on my router, so I forgot to consider that. I combine my wireless network with a few Powerline modules, effectively making my house the switch .
My DVDs
Old 12-20-12, 01:31 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
A Linksys E1200 is not a $10 router. It retails for $60, and even on sale, the best price I have ever seen was $29. But yes, it is a reasonable quality entry-level router.
i should say i got it for $10. although a refurb, so that does knock some off the price.
Old 12-20-12, 10:17 PM   #116
DVD Talk God

so we found someone else that needed iTunes cards, so i went to safeway. the kid who rung me up had this look on his face like how the hell is this shit ringing up at this low of price. i filled him in and he was like "i'm going online to add the extra coupon to buy some."

Old 12-23-12, 08:22 PM   #117
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

I clicked the link, read a bit of the thread, and I don't get it.

Is this some sort of online thing with a smart phone app where coupon shows up on your phone and gets scanned at checkout?
Old 12-23-12, 09:19 PM   #118
DVD Talk God

no. if you have a shoppers card with von/safeway (or affiliated store), you sign into your account online. there was a coupon for $15 off a $50 purchase of iTunes gift cards. you "load" it onto your card, so when you checkout, the discount shows up. they also had an in-store promo running that was 15% off any multi-pack gift card purchase. these would stack, so you could get like $60 in iTunes gift cards (2 3 packs of $10 each) for $36.

Old 12-24-12, 12:39 AM   #119
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, sort of actually. I just did it yesterday using just my iPhone and managed to get the deal at the self-checkout. I think it was a bit easier than how the linked instructions did it

Here's how. Before you begin, you need a Safeway card and you need to go online to sign up for an online account linked to the card at the Safeway site. After you do all that, then...

1. Download the Safeway app on your iPhone. Start the app.

2. Click on "Coupon Center". Scroll down and click on "Special Offers". The first offer is for the $15 off $50 for an iTunes gift card. Click "Add to my My Card".

3. Next, go back to the top menu. Click on "Weekly Ad". Click on "Paper, Cleaning & Home". Scroll down long list and find "SAVE 15% Club...Select Multipack Gift Cards". Click "Add to My List".

That's it. Now, when you go to Safeway (or Vonns) find TWO 3-packs of $10 iTunes cards (total of $60). This only works on the multipacks. My store didn't have it in the usual gift card area. It was one of those carousel things BEHIND where the cashiers are.

Then just go to the self-checkout and enter your Safeway card (or home phone #) to activate the coupons. After you scan both of them you'll see that it takes 15% each multipack (total of $51). Then since, it's above $50, it'll take off an additional $15. Grand total = $36.

Supposedly this works more than once. If I have time tomorrow, I may run by a Safeway to test it.
Old 12-24-12, 09:21 AM   #120
DVD Talk God

fwiw, you don't have to add the 15% off coupon. it automatically rings up since it is a store wide promotion.

Old 12-24-12, 07:27 PM   #121
DVD Talk Hero

I have some Games around 2gb a piece that I want to remove from my new iPad and 5th gen iPhone but I want to keep the app data so that I can keep the saved game info. If I use the iCloud backup and then delete the app and say a month later reinstalled the app, would my app data restore?
Old 12-24-12, 08:59 PM   #122
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not if you sync with iCloud in the mean time.
Old 12-24-12, 10:05 PM   #123
DVD Talk Legend

Some games have iCloud backup, where they save the game data to iCloud. These can be deleted and later re-installed, and the saved game data will still be there:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...7&postcount=33
Old 12-25-12, 12:08 AM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

Is there a list of games that support this? Or some place I can check to verify that the app supports this?
Old 12-26-12, 09:02 AM   #125
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

20% off iTunes cards at Best Buy if you are a Reward Zone member, 15% off if you are not. Until 12/29.