DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-12-17, 11:09 AM   #1051

Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
Managed to drop my iPhone 6 on the 4th and shattered the screen. Made an appointment at the Apple store yesterday. One hour later I had a brand new screen on my phone. I'll miss the Apple service when I switch to Android, but the lack of a headphone jack on the new iPhones is a deal breaker for me. I'll keep my 6 until it's no longer supported - hopefully I have a year or two before that happens.
Hopefully by then you'll accept the fact that your current headphones work fine with the attachment that comes with a new iPhones, and potentially realize how good some of the wireless things that Apple is releasing are. After a few weeks with the AirPods it feels bizarre that I had to put up with wired ones. Definitely One of Apple's best products in years
Old 07-12-17, 01:20 PM   #1052
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
Hopefully by then you'll accept the fact that your current headphones work fine with the attachment that comes with a new iPhones, and potentially realize how good some of the wireless things that Apple is releasing are. After a few weeks with the AirPods it feels bizarre that I had to put up with wired ones. Definitely One of Apple's best products in years
I have no interest in the AirPods. The existing iPhone headphones don't fit my ears well, and AirPods are just a wireless version. And I can do without something else to remember to charge. My wired headphones work every time. The adapter is just another unnecessary pain in the ass to remember. I was the biggest Apple fan for a long time - I've had iPods, iPhones, iPads and Macs, all the way back to the first gen iPod. Time for something different. With a headphone jack and an SD card slot.
Old 07-15-17, 04:53 AM   #1053
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
I was the biggest Apple fan for a long time - I've had iPods, iPhones, iPads and Macs, all the way back to the first gen iPod. Time for something different. With a headphone jack and an SD card slot.
I was the biggest fan of Apple back to the Apple II, original Mac, and IIGS. That all changed when Apple started to eliminate actually useful functions in the name of 'streamlining' AKA: getting you to buy accessories at great expense (read: PROFIT) to them! I actually liked their first Ipods, the 5th Gen 160 GB Ipod was wonderful.

Now, getting them to include an SD card slot is impossible since they want to lock you into a finite memory capacity and charge you $100 for each 32 or 64 GB "upgrade", when you can buy 64 GB memory SD cards for < $10 now...
Old 07-15-17, 02:45 PM   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I was the biggest fan of Apple back to the Apple II, original Mac, and IIGS. That all changed when Apple started to eliminate actually useful functions in the name of 'streamlining' AKA: getting you to buy accessories at great expense (read: PROFIT) to them! I actually liked their first Ipods, the 5th Gen 160 GB Ipod was wonderful.

Now, getting them to include an SD card slot is impossible since they want to lock you into a finite memory capacity and charge you $100 for each 32 or 64 GB "upgrade", when you can buy 64 GB memory SD cards for < $10 now...
The thing is the current iPad Pro goes from 256GB to 512GB for $100 - and I don't think either SD cards or any of its competitors go to 512GB. The current iPhone goes up to 256GB, hopefully the new one coming out this fall will be 512GB as well. That SD slot? The iPhone 7/7+ are waterproof - add a SD slot, there goes the being waterproof among many other things.
Old 07-15-17, 03:04 PM   #1055
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
That SD slot? The iPhone 7/7+ are waterproof - add a SD slot, there goes the being waterproof among many other things.
Hasn't stopped the Samsung Galaxy S8 (and S7), which have an SD card slot and is still water resistant. Technically at a higher rating then the iPhone 7 at that.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-15-17, 03:58 PM   #1056
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Hasn't stopped the Samsung Galaxy S8 (and S7), which have an SD card slot and is still water resistant. Technically at a higher rating then the iPhone 7 at that.
Even if not, the iPhone has a slot for the sim already. They just need another slot for sd, or they can use a dual slot like what Samsung and others do.
Old 07-15-17, 04:25 PM   #1057
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The thing is the current iPad Pro goes from 256GB to 512GB for $100 - and I don't think either SD cards or any of its competitors go to 512GB. The current iPhone goes up to 256GB, hopefully the new one coming out this fall will be 512GB as well. That SD slot? The iPhone 7/7+ are waterproof - add a SD slot, there goes the being waterproof among many other things.
The iPad pro both 10.5&12.9 cost $200 more to go from 256 to 512.
You can buy a surface pro in up to 1tb and that doesn't include storage from sd card expansion.
Old 07-15-17, 05:53 PM   #1058
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With Apple, sleekness wins over functionality every time. I haven't crunched the numbers; they have. So, I guess their public cares more about how something looks, or if it is waterproof (!) (Note: Electronics and water don't mix, DUH!) than if it actually has useful features like an SD slot, micro USB slot, and/or headphone jack. Oh well...
Old 07-15-17, 06:00 PM   #1059
DVD Talk Godfather

Water proofing is fine, enough people drop their phones in toilets, pools, or just splash water on them by accident for it to be an excellent feature to have on a cell phone. But again, Samsung has done it without sacrificing the SD card, or the headphone jack.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-17-17, 10:00 AM   #1060
DVD Talk Legend

I'll never go back to a phone without waterproofing. It's nice to bring your phone in the pool, or on a boat and not worry about water damage. Of course it's obviously also good about not dropping it in a puddle or toilet.
Old 07-17-17, 10:26 AM   #1061
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Water proofing is fine, enough people drop their phones in toilets, pools, or just splash water on them by accident for it to be an excellent feature to have on a cell phone. But again, Samsung has done it without sacrificing the SD card, or the headphone jack.
While we are at it, Samsung has also done it with a removable battery in the past. Granted Samsung doesn't have removable batteries anymore but the argument that water resistance necessitates a sealed battery is false.
Old 07-17-17, 06:00 PM   #1062
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I have to check out how the non-laminated glass thing affects the iPad experience. I'm still on a 3 (last version to use the 30-pin connector) and the battery life on it is great but it is getting a little slow on me. If it's not that much of a difference usage wise, $429 for a 128 wifi only is a no brainer upgrade.
The wife gave me an 12.9" iPad Pro for our anniversary instead.
My Lord this thing is huge. Now thinking of which keyboard/cover combo to get.
Old 07-18-17, 05:01 PM   #1063
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My iPod Video/Classic/CLickwheel finally died (battery holds no charge at all anymore).
I missed my podcasts so I got an iPod touch. (spoiler: I don't like it.)
I used to use my ipod like this:
Subscribe to podcast in itunes.
Download all the old eps I wanted to, and set it to download new ones.
Listen to podcasts on ipod.
Whenever my ipod needed a charge, bring it in, plug it in, it would charge. Also, podcasts I listened to would go away, and I would get the new or unlistened (may be old) ones.
In my itunes all I saw were podcast eps that were new to me.

I listen in the car, I'm rarely on wifi with the touch.
For some reason the touch has Unplayed, Feed, Saved. I click an ep and surprise, it's not downloaded - I was on wifi just enough to see that a new ep was released, but not enough to download it.
It's showing me hundreds of eps I either have already listened to or haven't downloaded yet.

Any way to replicate my old functionality? Not everyone is online all the time, especially with a device that mostly kept in the car.
Ideally, I want, in both itunes and on the device, to see ONLY those podcast eps that are Unheard, and Downloaded. Once it's Heard, I want it to go away forever, both from download and the listing, unless I mark it "keep".
Old 07-19-17, 01:24 AM   #1064
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
My iPod Video/Classic/CLickwheel finally died (battery holds no charge at all anymore).
I missed my podcasts so I got an iPod touch. (spoiler: I don't like it.)
I used to use my ipod like this:
Subscribe to podcast in itunes.
Download all the old eps I wanted to, and set it to download new ones.
Listen to podcasts on ipod.
Whenever my ipod needed a charge, bring it in, plug it in, it would charge. Also, podcasts I listened to would go away, and I would get the new or unlistened (may be old) ones.
In my itunes all I saw were podcast eps that were new to me.

I listen in the car, I'm rarely on wifi with the touch.
For some reason the touch has Unplayed, Feed, Saved. I click an ep and surprise, it's not downloaded - I was on wifi just enough to see that a new ep was released, but not enough to download it.
It's showing me hundreds of eps I either have already listened to or haven't downloaded yet.

Any way to replicate my old functionality? Not everyone is online all the time, especially with a device that mostly kept in the car.
Ideally, I want, in both itunes and on the device, to see ONLY those podcast eps that are Unheard, and Downloaded. Once it's Heard, I want it to go away forever, both from download and the listing, unless I mark it "keep".
There are tutorial videos on how to replace the battery. You might just try doing that,
Old 07-19-17, 06:28 AM   #1065
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
When the battery finally gives up the ghost, is the iPod bricked or can you still use it if it's plugged in to a USB port or charger?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 08-05-17, 11:07 PM   #1066
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the new AppleTV will be full 4K with HDR and Dolby Vision. If so, I'll be buying one for the first time.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/05/4k-ap...dr10/?pushup=1

4K AppleTV with Dolby Vision/HDR10 seemingly confirmed by HomePod code

The Apple HomePod firmware is turning out to be the gift that keeps on giving. Today, developer Guilherme Rambo dug up the following strings inside seemingly confirming the upcoming HDR 4K AppleTV and some other details.

We’ve long expected/hoped for/wondered where the 4K TV was and we first heard signs that Apple was actually working on such a monster back in February via Bloomberg. That report said the new 4K AppleTV would have more vivid colors and arrive later this year. Meanwhile, Amazon’s Fire platform, Google’s ChromeCast, Android TV and just about every other streaming platform have had 4K options for years.

Apple’s Macs have been able to drive 4K displays at 60Hz for quite some time. The HomePod software also leaked that the iPhone 8 would support 4K on both front and rear cameras so you’ll be able to put those 4K selfies right onto your TV.

Additionally, Apple’s iTunes has been showing signs of 4K/HDR videos.

Most mainstream TVs on the market are now 4K and prices are coming way down across the board.

The 4K Apple TV looks like it will support both Dolby Vision and HDR10.
Old 09-19-17, 02:31 PM   #1067
DVD Talk Legend

iOS11 update was fairly fast, and no issues so far.
Old 09-19-17, 04:26 PM   #1068
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
When the battery finally gives up the ghost, is the iPod bricked or can you still use it if it's plugged in to a USB port or charger?
It will still work if plugged into a charger.
Old 09-19-17, 07:37 PM   #1069
DVD Talk Legend

My iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 Plus upgraded pretty fast. The watch update it taking forever.
Old 09-19-17, 09:37 PM   #1070
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
iOS11 update was fairly fast, and no issues so far.
Mind you, on my iPad Air the installation code was 1.8 gigabytes of download. And it's still undergoing the installation process as I type this. I'm holding off installing it on my iPhone 6 until Thursday in case Apple rolls out a fast bug fix (they tend to roll out a lot of bug fixes in the first month of release).

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 09-19-17, 09:45 PM   #1071

Fastest major iOS upgrade ever. The 2.08GB on my iPhone 7+ downloaded in 46 seconds and 11.0 finished in a few minutes. iPad Pro, equally fast.
Old 10-01-17, 07:22 PM   #1072
Inane Thread Master

What’s up with this new update? Everything seems slower and unresponsive. And, you can’t delete notifications now? Since when and why?
Old 10-01-17, 11:51 PM   #1073
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
What’s up with this new update? Everything seems slower and unresponsive. And, you can’t delete notifications now? Since when and why?
Slowness on ios 11 has been reported on multiple fronts. Some tips below to speed things up

ogle.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/10/01/apple-ios-11-0-1-ios-11-release-battery-life-crashes-problems-bluetooth-performance

https://www.google.com/amp/bgr.com/2...-speed-up/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...ce-issues/amp/
Old 10-04-17, 08:29 PM   #1074
Inane Thread Master

thanks D. deleted stuff, did some of the stuff above and it's better, but i think the battery is draining much faster. and another odd little quirk which annoys me is that while the song will go to the next one on my shuffle on phone, the title and artist won't change on my display anymore. i have to manually hit the next song or turn on and off radio for it to change. any find anything about that? will it be fixed with next update, hopefully soon?
Old 10-04-17, 09:23 PM   #1075
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally updated last week. I always update via iTunes, and backup to my computer. But iPhone & iPad failed to update, could not contact iTunes TSS server unknown error 3503.
I was able to update iphone via wi-fi, but iPad could not get out of recovery mode. Finally tried Restore instead of Update and it finally worked.

But my battery seems to be getting killed too. I seem to drop off home wi-fi a lot and sometimes there are no wireless networks showing unless I turn wi-fi off/on.
iPhone 6s+, and I just made my last monthly payment to Verizon today.

And, iOS 11.0.2 is out there now.
I'm not too concerned about my iPad because nothing is on there, but I'm not going to be happy if I have to restore my iPhone from backup.