Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Apple Thread

Old 01-29-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Apple Thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I read that iPhone revenue alone was practically double what Microsoft's entire revenue was for the year. Not that the companies are really that comparable, but that kind of revenue is insane.

The only "downer" was that iPad sales were down about 20%, but still better than any other tablet maker, so
Problem I see with the iPad is whats the point in upgrading as often? With a phone every 2 years is about the norm (some of us do every year), but I don't see the need anymore with the iPad unless they fundamentally change it. I got an iPad Air last year, and my mom bought me an iPad Air 2 this past year when it came out for my bday. Sure it had the touch ID and I went from a 32g to a 64g, but really I don't know what they could do to make me need a new one in the next few years. I hope they do, but I just don't know what they could do at this point.
Old 01-29-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly. I've had my iPad 2 for over 3 years, and it's just now getting annoying enough that I plan to upgrade to an Air 2 next month.
Old 01-29-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Problem I see with the iPad is whats the point in upgrading as often? With a phone every 2 years is about the norm (some of us do every year), but I don't see the need anymore with the iPad unless they fundamentally change it. I got an iPad Air last year, and my mom bought me an iPad Air 2 this past year when it came out for my bday. Sure it had the touch ID and I went from a 32g to a 64g, but really I don't know what they could do to make me need a new one in the next few years. I hope they do, but I just don't know what they could do at this point.
Yeah, our household has an iPad 2 and Mini, and all my fiancee uses them for is web browsing, light games, and Netflix and both work just fine if not just a tad slow sometimes. There are power users that i'm sure do more work related tasks that would benefit more from more constant upgrades, as well as the tech junkies that just like the latest and greatest, but tablets are more like laptops where people don't really need to upgrade every couple years.
Old 01-29-15, 01:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

So, let me get this straight.

iPad sales are down 20% in Q4 compared to Q4 2013, but it's because "people just aren't upgrading."
PC sales are practically EVEN in Q4 compared to Q4 2013 (0.6% down. Not 6%... 0.6%), despite the same claims.

I'm not trying to incite an argument or whatever (I'm calmer than I once was. ), but modern tablets are only about 5 years in their infancy. A 20% drop for Apple alone has to be more than just a sign that people aren't upgrading, no? Maybe people just aren't as interested in tablets anymore? I'm just curious where people expect this market (tablets in general) to go in the next few years if Apple can't even keep sales flat year to year*

*Q4 wasn't the only quarter where iPad sales were down. It was all four quarters.
Old 01-29-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just curious where people expect this market (tablets in general) to go in the next few years if Apple can't even keep sales flat year to year.
Tablet sales in general are increasing, up 7.2% year-to-year:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...wth-ipad-fail/

Competition from Android tablets is one factor. Also, Windows 8 tablets like the Surface Pro could be grabbing some of the high-end business market, although it's not clear whether those count as tablets or "PCs."

Additionally, larger screen phones are likely taking away some of the tablet market. Back when the iPad launched, the iPhone had a 3.5" screen. Now that there's an iPhone with a 5.5" screen, and Android phones with bigger screens, the desire for a separate big-screen tablet is likely diminishing.
Old 01-29-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, let me get this straight.

iPad sales are down 20% in Q4 compared to Q4 2013, but it's because "people just aren't upgrading."
PC sales are practically EVEN in Q4 compared to Q4 2013 (0.6% down. Not 6%... 0.6%), despite the same claims.

I'm not trying to incite an argument or whatever (I'm calmer than I once was. ), but modern tablets are only about 5 years in their infancy. A 20% drop for Apple alone has to be more than just a sign that people aren't upgrading, no? Maybe people just aren't as interested in tablets anymore? I'm just curious where people expect this market (tablets in general) to go in the next few years if Apple can't even keep sales flat year to year*

*Q4 wasn't the only quarter where iPad sales were down. It was all four quarters.
I was just giving a personal reason as to why I think the iPad in general is having shrinking sales. I think it's a number of factors, including any number of low priced tablets that can do basic functions that people want. Honestly you don't need a high priced tablet to read some email, check facebook and instagram and take some pictures.

Also, maybe some people just don't like tablets. I still prefer a desktop to even a laptop (which I prefer to my iPad) so maybe that's another factor. But I'm bad because I have a desktop, laptop, tablet, and bigger phone. Yes I have a problem.
Old 01-29-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

iPads, MacBooks and Laptops all last much longer than their equivalents from a decade ago (well, minus the non-existent iPad, but lets say iPad 1 and the initial Android tablets from 5 years ago)

As someone else said, the iPad 2 is just now getting to the point of needing an upgrade, MacBooks and Laptops seem to last a very long time now without the substantial need for a replacement. Hell, swapping out the HDD with a SSD in a 5 year old laptop gives it a surprising amount of additional life. If it weren't for people breaking things, sales would be down even more imho.
Old 01-29-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Regarding the overall earnings call and sales of the iPhone, i'm going to keep beating this dead horse but I think I read somewhere that a lot of the record sales were attributed to Android users switching back and I bet a big part of that is simply the bigger sized models. In my opinion, more screen real estate has been super important in usability as someone that goes through a lot of work email. Glad Apple finally got on board despite their stubborness in the past.
Old 01-30-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
No mention of Apple's latest earnings?

Anyway they made a shitload of money.
Hummm....they make MORE than a shitload. And some think they could make even more.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102376870#.
Old 02-03-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
iPads, MacBooks and Laptops all last much longer than their equivalents from a decade ago (well, minus the non-existent iPad, but lets say iPad 1 and the initial Android tablets from 5 years ago)

As someone else said, the iPad 2 is just now getting to the point of needing an upgrade, MacBooks and Laptops seem to last a very long time now without the substantial need for a replacement. Hell, swapping out the HDD with a SSD in a 5 year old laptop gives it a surprising amount of additional life. If it weren't for people breaking things, sales would be down even more imho.
I think current Macs last longer for numerous reasons. The biggest being that we've really hit a point were advancements in desktop and laptop hardware have really hit a crawl. Since Mac made the switch to Intel in 2006 and then going completely 64-bit (in both hardware and software) in 2009, there hasn't been much progression in regards to processing power. Unlike say in the Power PC era, Yosemite supports Macs made as of eight years ago. In addition, one can easily upgrade the RAM and hard drive in 2008-2012 MacBook Pros models making the computer feel as fast as the current-generation MacBook Airs and Pros. I have a mid-2011 iMac and I see no reason to upgrade it (other than breaking the machine by attempting to put in a SSD). I have a quad-core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and a 2GB video card. My limitation at this point is the read/write speed of the hard drive. The moment the computer shits the bed is when I'll upgrade to either a new iMac or possibly a 15" MacBook Pro.

iPads have always had meatier internals than their iPhone equivalents, especially with faster processors inside of them. Just take a look at the iPad Air 2 which hardware wise is the biggest jump between a generation since the first-generation iPad and the iPad 2. The Air 2 has a tri-core A8 processor (compared to the dual-core in the 6 & 6 Plus) with quad-core graphics alongside 2GB of RAM (compared to the 1GB in the 6 & 6 Plus). The iPad 2 (and the first-generation iPad mini) were great devices up until the launch of iOS 8 as the operating system has limited the use of any device that has a 32-bit processor inside of it. I personally hope iOS 9 is 64-bit only despite Apple still selling the iPhone 5c and first-generation iPad mini.

I still think two years is normal to upgrade a mobile device and tablet, but there will be a point where that technology plateaus too.
Old 03-16-15, 07:44 AM
Banned

I'm looking to pick up the iPad air. Anyone have his and compared I to the me iPad air 2? Doesn't look like enough changes to justify the 100 increase in price
Old 03-16-15, 01:18 PM
Banned by request

The big reason to get the Air 2 over the original Air is 2 GB of RAM and the more powerful processor. People are speculating that the Air 2 will run well for a good amount of time compared to the Air as a result.

FWIW, I had an Air and upgraded to the Air 2 and I think it's worth it.
Old 03-16-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went from iPad 2 to the iPad air 2 and it was night and day.
Old 03-16-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can the new Macbook USB Type C do 4k video from VGA, HDMI and Displayport?
Old 03-18-15, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So didn't think worth another thread...

I knew that Apple had passed Exxon for most value, but I didn't realize Microsoft had as well!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mic...ple-2014-11-13

So now the two most values companies are Tech companies?
Old 03-18-15, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Can the new Macbook USB Type C do 4k video from VGA, HDMI and Displayport?
The Apple VGA and HDMI adapters both support "up to 1080p HD":
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ...tiport-adapter
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ...tiport-adapter

This article mentions that the Macbook supports Displayport 1.2, which supports up to 3840x2160 pixels (4K) at a refresh rate of 60 Hz, but there's no Displayport adapter available yet.
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/retina-macbook-air/
http://www.geek.com/chips/displaypor...-more-1057322/

Apple's own specs state Displayport 1.2 and that it "simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display"
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/
Old 03-19-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can the 13inch retina Macbook Pro output 4K through the thunderbolt port?
Old 03-19-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
can the 13inch retina Macbook Pro output 4K through the thunderbolt port?
From the tech specs:
https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors.
Old 03-31-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone had problems with their iPad, air 2 model, with viewing pictures on Facebook? My wifes iPad has been having his issue for a while, and we can't figure out how to fix it. We've rebooted it, it's currently updated to the latest update. We're lost!
Old 04-01-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Has anyone had problems with their iPad, air 2 model, with viewing pictures on Facebook? My wifes iPad has been having his issue for a while, and we can't figure out how to fix it. We've rebooted it, it's currently updated to the latest update. We're lost!
I have on my Air (not Air 2).

When I click on a picture in facebook it will display for a few seconds, freeze, then the screen/tab will go white and display "A problem occurred with this webpage or it was reloaded," at the top of the screen.

Seems to have started doing this with the last iOS update.

I swear, updating iOS is like playing Russian roulette. And I don't think there's any way to go back to the previous version.
Old 04-01-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Seems to have started doing this with the last iOS update.
Or maybe it started happening with the last Facebook app update? They "update" the app every two weeks now, and they are notorious for releasing buggy updates.
Old 04-01-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
Or maybe it started happening with the last Facebook app update? They "update" the app every two weeks now, and they are notorious for releasing buggy updates.
I'm viewing it on Safari, I don't have the app installed.
Old 04-01-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few things:

The Macbook Pro keyboard is excellent.
I love Retina displays.
OSX's implementation of multi-monitors suck.
XCode is a total piece of shit.
Old 04-01-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
OSX's implementation of multi-monitors suck.
Can you elaborate? I use two monitors on my Mac mini, and I have no issues with the setup (other than the lack of hotkeys, which was fixed by installing Spectacle).
Old 04-01-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Menubar sticks to one monitor. I hate that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.