The Apple Thread

Old 10-22-13, 02:26 PM

Re: The Apple Thread

No ATV announcement.
Old 10-22-13, 02:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I think that the ATV Announcement was delayed, so I expect it to be big.

I'm getting an iPad Air - obviously..
Old 10-22-13, 02:29 PM

The Apple Store has been updated with the new products. iPad Air is available to order on November 1st.

http://store.apple.com/us
Old 10-22-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

not impressed... was expecting more...

the mac pro looks like a beast but tooooo fing expensive
Old 10-22-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, only the most expensive MacBook Pro has a discreet GPU. That's a bit disappointing with these things pushing so many pixels. Base 13" should also have 8GB of Ram.
Old 10-22-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Whew, $3000 for the Mac Pro... still some sexy specs.

Cool about Mavericks 10.9 being free. If only MS would release an OS for free....
They do, they just call them by their real name: Service Packs.

New iPad Mini looks really nice Old iPad Mini is still overpriced.
Old 10-22-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

iPad pricing seems really out of whack.

iPad Air - $499 - $799
iPad Mini with Retina $399 - $699
iPad 2 - $399
iPad Mini - $299

http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/compare

Seems really odd to still have iPad 2's there for $399.
Old 10-22-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
iPad pricing seems really out of whack.

iPad Air - $499 - $799
iPad Mini with Retina $399 - $699
iPad 2 - $399
iPad Mini - $299

http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/compare

Seems really odd to still have iPad 2's there for $399.
Yeah that does seem strange. I guess they're thinking size is more expensive, as is retina. So the iPad 2 and iPad Mini with retina are both the same price, and the iPad mini is the cheapest. Still seems weird.
Old 10-22-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
not impressed... was expecting more...

the mac pro looks like a beast but tooooo fing expensive
What? What on EARTH could you have been expecting?

I think I might get my wife an iPad mini now. Didn't want to roll back to a lesser screen with the first model.
Old 10-22-13, 03:22 PM

I think the iPad 2's are mostly being sold to corporate customers at this point.
Old 10-22-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After seeing the iPad Air though, I may forgo the mini and go with that instead... Decisions decisions.
Old 10-22-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My only guess, wishful thinking, is that they set those prices for the iPad 2 and old iPad mini, because they are going to be on sale all the time.
Old 10-22-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like I'll be saving my pennies for that Mac Pro. I qualify for a nice discount, so that'll help.
Old 10-22-13, 04:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Just some honest input here... not trying to bait or threadcrap.

$399 for the iPad 2 is ridiculous, IMO. That device is 31 months old. (But "refreshed!" with iOS7, I suppose.) It should be $199 or maybe $249 max.
The old mini should be $199. They only dropped the price $30, and the internals are equivalent to the iPad 2, are they not?

The pricing of the new models makes sense, though I expected the Mini w/ retina to be $349.

I think iPad Air is a poor name choice. I didn't watch the announcement at all, so as soon as I heard someone say the name, I thought, "Oh. Apple must have made a Pro version of the iPad, running OS X, in addition to new regular iPads." Nope! Still the same iPad (which is absolutely fine), but it almost sounds like it's meant to replace the MacBook Air, but that's not the case.

Anyway, they'll sell kabillions of these, so
Old 10-22-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would anyone who's paid even cursory attention to tech in the past 5 years ever think that Apple would release an iPad with OS X on it?
Old 10-22-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The old Mini at $299 is crazy. How is that device at all better than a Nexus 7? I don't think the new pricing is going to go over well. The Mini was a cheap way of getting into the iPad line but no one in the younger generation is going to want the old one. They're going to only ask for the new one; $399 is pretty expensive for a gift. $329 was way more manageable and closer to the competitors.
Old 10-22-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
The old Mini at $299 is crazy. How is that device at all better than a Nexus 7? I don't think the new pricing is going to go over well. The Mini was a cheap way of getting into the iPad line but no one in the younger generation is going to want the old one. They're going to only ask for the new one; $399 is pretty expensive for a gift. $329 was way more manageable and closer to the competitors.
It doesn't really matter. They will sell a ton of them. iPad competitors have to compete on price. Apple doesn't. Is that a viable long-term strategy? I don't know.

They're still making Macs, though.
Old 10-22-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably right but I think they're only hurting themselves by having the retina Mini a separate SKU. It should have just been a refresh at $329 and been done with it. It will cause confusion with potential buyers as well.
Old 10-22-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
You're probably right but I think they're only hurting themselves by having the retina Mini a separate SKU. It should have just been a refresh at $329 and been done with it. It will cause confusion with potential buyers as well.
I do wonder about that. Perhaps the retina screens really are supply constrained, and the higher price is to encourage people to buy the non-retina?

At any rate, it looks like non-retina iPads are going to hang around a hell of a lot longer than non-retina iPhones did.
Old 10-22-13, 04:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Why would anyone who's paid even cursory attention to tech in the past 5 years ever think that Apple would release an iPad with OS X on it?
ONLY because of Air in the name. I assumed iPad Air was a technological replacement for MacBook Air (ie: A MacBook air with touch screen and removable keyboard) Again, it was a quick thought based on the name of the device alone, followed by "Nah, I'm probably wrong" and I was.
Old 10-22-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post

It is going to happen. Just not yet.
Old 10-22-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

It will never happen. Never.

Edit: And if it does happen, that is the time to worry about Apple.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 10-22-13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

No, putting OS X on an iPad would come with an expectation that normal OS X apps would run on it (which, considering the difference in CPU architecture, would be difficult and cause them to run slow), as well as having touch screen users interact with apps designed for a desktop with keyboard and mouse interface. See the debacle that is Windows RT.

Apple used the OS X core in order to develop iOS, and they expanded iOS for tablet interfaces. It's highly unlikely they'd ever put OS X proper onto a phone or tablet, although I could see something like cross-compatible apps.
Old 10-22-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I get how Apple is positioning their iPad line, with retina and non-retina versions of each size. It makes a lot of sense from a product line up point of view, but just the pricing is weird. But honestly Tracer is right, they'll sell regardless and people know what an iPad is regardless of tech specs, not so much what a Nexus 7 is.

I made this argument awhile ago, but I always thought it curious that smaller form factor tablets were considered cheaper budget alternatives when really specification wise it makes just as much sense that they're priced similarly to larger versions. Not that i'm arguing for more expensive tech...
Old 10-22-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
No, putting OS X on an iPad would come with an expectation that normal OS X apps would run on it (which, considering the difference in CPU architecture, would be difficult and cause them to run slow), as well as having touch screen users interact with apps designed for a desktop with keyboard and mouse interface. See the debacle that is Windows RT.

Apple used the OS X core in order to develop iOS, and they expanded iOS for tablet interfaces. It's highly unlikely they'd ever put OS X proper onto a phone or tablet, although I could see something like cross-compatible apps.
Yeah, I saw the betanews report that Apple was mocking MS's lack of direction - turning PCs into tablets, and tablets into PCs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.