Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Any longtime iPhone users switch to a Droid phone?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-21-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been an iPhone user since the 3.. Love the iPhone (currently have the 4) but want something new..

I know the 5 is right around the corner but if rumors are true it won't even be much different than the 4s..

The phone that's really got me thinking of switching is the Galaxy S3.. Problem is, I'm not sure if I'll like the Android OS.. I have a Transformer tablet that runs ice cream sandwich but I never use it (always just use my laptop)..

Have any long time iPhone users ever made the switch, and if so, did you regret it or are you happy with your decision?
Old 08-21-12, 11:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Any longtime iPhone users switch to a Droid phone?

Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
So I've been an iPhone user since the 3.. Love the iPhone (currently have the 4) but want something new..

I know the 5 is right around the corner but if rumors are true it won't even be much different than the 4s..

The phone that's really got me thinking of switching is the Galaxy S3.. Problem is, I'm not sure if I'll like the Android OS.. I have a Transformer tablet that runs ice cream sandwich but I never use it (always just use my laptop)..

Have any long time iPhone users ever made the switch, and if so, did you regret it or are you happy with your decision?

Don't know if this helps, but I have known three people now who have all switched from Android over to the iPhone and have never looked back. I've never used a droid myself so I can't comment personally.

I have one other friend who was a die hard Android user now complaining that the latest update was so bad he is actually considering switching over.
Old 08-21-12, 11:12 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Many carriers will give you a period of time to change your mind (30 days is typical) after you buy a contract phone. If that's a possibility for you, why not try the Galaxy S3 for a few weeks and see if you like it?
Old 08-21-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll have a bigger screen and 4G. What more are you hoping for?

Announcement is in three weeks, so it's worth waiting to see what's up.

I've had a Droid and Droid Bionic. I'm done waiting for updates. My Bionic still doesnt have Ice Cream Sandwich.

When I'm up for a new phone it'll be an iPhone.
Old 08-22-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Many carriers will give you a period of time to change your mind (30 days is typical) after you buy a contract phone. If that's a possibility for you, why not try the Galaxy S3 for a few weeks and see if you like it?
I don't know about other carriers, but Verizon has a 14 day period. Some third party may have longer return exchange period like I know Costco has 90 days but still only 14 day period before the 2 year contract is locked. you also may have to pay a restocking fee.

The ICS on your tablet is going to be similar to the phone. My wife has a 4S, I used it occasionally and hate it. It isn't a bad phone by any means, just not for me. I love my gs3.

But with that said, the gs3 screen in direct sunlight is not as bright as the iPhone 4S. The 4S also has a sharper screen and higher pixel density than the gs3. The screen on the gs3 is good but the 4S screen is better. Although, if you were concerned with the pixel density, my rezound has a higher than retina display pixel density as compared to the 4S. the biggest thing i think would be losing the ios environment. which, is a personal preference.

Last edited by D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB); 08-22-12 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 481 Likes on 385 Posts

I had an iPhone for a couple years and got sick of how static it was (simply put, boring). I still think the iPad is the best "large" tablet on the market (I never much cared for Netflix on a 3.5" screen, but on the iPad it's great) but don't really care much for the iPhones. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has an excellent camera, but otherwise I'd just way for the next iteration of the Nexus phone.

The problem I have with Android is since it is open, all these manufacturers use different hardware and throw on their custom skins and what not. It becomes a bit of a clusterfuck. I love basic Android, it works great and has a lot of freedom to it. I really wish these companies would just treat it like selling a PC - customize the hardware how you want (as long as you're competent enough to make the proper drivers for it), maybe throw on a couple proprietary applications if they want, but other than that leave it the fuck alone.

ICS is a huge upgrade over Gingerbread, so it's a shame there are people with compatible phones that are still waiting for it. While there are definite performance benefits to Jelly Bean, I'm less concerned about that as ICS runs great on my current phone (Razr Maxx)

Last edited by RichC2; 08-22-12 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
It'll have a bigger screen and 4G. What more are you hoping for?

Announcement is in three weeks, so it's worth waiting to see what's up.

I've had a Droid and Droid Bionic. I'm done waiting for updates. My Bionic still doesnt have Ice Cream Sandwich.

When I'm up for a new phone it'll be an iPhone.
no offense, but the droid bionic is the black sheep. i know people with the droid bionic who hate it. if you were to compare a motorola phone to the new iphone, it should be the razr hd. also, my razr maxx has ics.
Old 08-22-12, 12:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 631 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
maybe throw on a couple proprietary applications if they want, but other than that leave it the fuck alone.
RichC2, that's how Windows Phone 7 (and 8, I'm sure) works.

I had a good discussion about "the next iPhone" vs. the Galaxy S III today with a hardcore Apple fan. As much as he loves Apple, his biggest complaint was that the iPhone home screen is pretty static, and he can't have home screens with only one or two icons on them. He also thinks the new iPhone, reportedly 4", will be the "perfect size." He also thought 3.7" was the perfect size until it was leaked that the new iPhone would be slightly bigger.

I told him that, after playing with my Galaxy S III (with a 4.85" screen) for only a day, I found it difficult to even look at my wife's iPhone 4, which is only 3.7". We both agreed that the Samsung Note at 5" is just too damn big. It was hard to get it across to him, but I seriously think 4.85" is perfect while 5" is ridiculously oversized. It's a tiny difference physically, but for me... there's a distinct line. 5" is too big... 4.85" is just right.

I also told him how my wife thinks Android is too complicated. He agreed, but I said that it's only complicated/tweakable if you want it to be. This guy, and my wife for that matter, will likely be iPhone users for life, and that's fine.

But to get back to the OP's question...
There is definitely a learning curve going from one system to the other, no matter how you look at it. There are a lot of similarities, but also notable differences. To this day, when I use my wife's iPhone, I occasionally pause for up to 10 seconds, looking for the "back" or "settings" buttons. If I used the thing for a day or two straight, I'd probably get over it. The same goes for Android, WP7, etc.
Old 08-22-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had an iPhone for a couple years and got sick of how static it was (simply put, boring). I still think the iPad is the best "large" tablet on the market (I never much cared for Netflix on a 3.5" screen, but on the iPad it's great) but don't really care much for the iPhones. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has an excellent camera, but otherwise I'd just way for the next iteration of the Nexus phone.

The problem I have with Android is since it is open, all these manufacturers use different hardware and throw on their custom skins and what not. It becomes a bit of a clusterfuck. I love basic Android, it works great and has a lot of freedom to it. I really wish these companies would just treat it like selling a PC - customize the hardware how you want (as long as you're competent enough to make the proper drivers for it), maybe throw on a couple proprietary applications if they want, but other than that leave it the fuck alone.

ICS is a huge upgrade over Gingerbread, so it's a shame there are people with compatible phones that are still waiting for it. While there are definite performance benefits to Jelly Bean, I'm less concerned about that as ICS runs great on my current phone (Razr Maxx)
this is a big problem as hardware and OS varies so greatly among android. people having a low end android like the optimus or wildfire or whatever then saying, android sucks, iPhone is much better. well, having an optimus today is like using an iPhone 3G or something, maybe even less. android isn't for everyone, but if you are comparing a high end Apple device, you should at least compare it to a high end Android device. admittedly, android is typically slower to update software (with the exception of Nexus devices) than Apple.
Old 08-22-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

windows 7 is even worse at updating to the latest OS. wp7.5 phones will never go to wp8, according to ms. all iphones to date have been 3.5". i have a wp7.5 phone that was released a few months ago and it will be on obsolete OS once wp8 comes out.

right now, i am typing on my atrix lapdock via my razr maxx and no damn menu button in a static location.
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
RichC2, that's how Windows Phone 7 (and 8, I'm sure) works.

I had a good discussion about "the next iPhone" vs. the Galaxy S III today with a hardcore Apple fan. As much as he loves Apple, his biggest complaint was that the iPhone home screen is pretty static, and he can't have home screens with only one or two icons on them. He also thinks the new iPhone, reportedly 4", will be the "perfect size." He also thought 3.7" was the perfect size until it was leaked that the new iPhone would be slightly bigger.

I told him that, after playing with my Galaxy S III (with a 4.85" screen) for only a day, I found it difficult to even look at my wife's iPhone 4, which is only 3.7". We both agreed that the Samsung Note at 5" is just too damn big. It was hard to get it across to him, but I seriously think 4.85" is perfect while 5" is ridiculously oversized. It's a tiny difference physically, but for me... there's a distinct line. 5" is too big... 4.85" is just right.

I also told him how my wife thinks Android is too complicated. He agreed, but I said that it's only complicated/tweakable if you want it to be. This guy, and my wife for that matter, will likely be iPhone users for life, and that's fine.

But to get back to the OP's question...
There is definitely a learning curve going from one system to the other, no matter how you look at it. There are a lot of similarities, but also notable differences. To this day, when I use my wife's iPhone, I occasionally pause for up to 10 seconds, looking for the "back" or "settings" buttons. If I used the thing for a day or two straight, I'd probably get over it. The same goes for Android, WP7, etc.
Old 08-22-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 537 Likes on 387 Posts

ANdroid phones. Droid is a specific subset within the Android OS by Motorola/Samsung.
Old 08-22-12, 12:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 631 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
windows 7 is even worse at updating to the latest OS. wp7.5 phones will never go to wp8, according to ms.
To be fair, WP8 is a big enough upgrade (being a complete change to the underlying system itself) that the line needed to be drawn. Plus, it's not like we're talking about massive market share. Isn't WP7/WP7.5 still at or around 1 or 2%? There are very very few people who actually bought those devices and continue to use them every day. They don't need or want anyone's sympathy, I'm sure.
Old 08-22-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no offense, but the droid bionic is the black sheep. i know people with the droid bionic who hate it. if you were to compare a motorola phone to the new iphone, it should be the razr hd. also, my razr maxx has ics.
I didn't say anything about the Bionic as far as the hardware is concerned, did I?

The Bionic, the Droid and many other Android phones are perfect examples of how inconsistent Android upgrades are. You can buy a brand new phone and just a couple of months later your OS can be a full generation behind because every device manufacturer and every carrier has to put their own tweaks to Android. Your phone may or may not be updated. And if it is, the update may be buggy as hell because of the tweaks forced on it.

And speaking of the Razr Maxx, owners have been waiting for an ICS bug fix for, what, six weeks now? I wonder how long it'll be before Motorola gets around to it? I've been waiting for Motorola's promised ICS update for 10 months now.

At least iPhone owners know iOS 6 is coming out in September.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 08-22-12 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the replies guys..

Yea, one thing I'm definitely doing is waiting until the new iPhone comes out and then possibly getting a S3 and doing the trial for 14-30 days so I can go to the 5 if I don't like it..
Old 08-22-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
ANdroid phones. Droid is a specific subset within the Android OS by Motorola/Samsung.
Droid branded phones are specific to verizon. The latest Droid is the dinc 4g which is a htc phone. Some people use Droid to indicate android
Old 08-22-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And speaking of the Razr Maxx, owners have been waiting for an ICS bug fix for, what, six weeks now? I wonder how long it'll be before Motorola gets around to it? I've been waiting for Motorola's promised ICS update for 10 months now.
I was part of a test for ICS and I had some issues, I wound up backing up and doing a factory reset, couldn't be happier. I wrote up a huge list of issues and submitted it to Motorola, unsurprisingly they just went ahead and released the test version.

Instead of a fix I think Motorola is just going to release JB. I'm curious to see what happens to Motorola under Google's rule, they make my favorite phone hardware (it's very well built, feels substantial and has excellent radios - I have an Otter Box Commuter on the thing so I can't say how durable it is, but I've dropped the thing on concrete a ridiculous number of times) but have always been a little lackluster with the software.

I'm disappointed the Razr HD apparently does not include the Maxx battery, I can't go back to a smaller battery and absolutely love ending the day with 80 - 90% battery life.

The iPhone 5 is set for a ETA September 21st release.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-22-12 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been an iOS user for a long time, iPhones, iPads, etc. I really like those products.

However, I got a Nexus 7, with Jelly Bean, and it's really great. JB won't make you miss iOS. So if you try an Android phone, try one with Jelly Bean, right now there aren't a lot of options, but more will come.
Old 08-22-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does the S3 run JB?
Old 08-22-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not yet, the international S3 gets JB next week, the US will likely have it next month.

My other issue with the S3? Samsung makes hardware with excellent specs, but TouchWiz is the ugliest Launcher I've seen.

JB is very similar to ICS but with Google Now and a silky smooth frame rate (which ICS may or may not have depending on your device), also better memory management.
Old 08-22-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
To be fair, WP8 is a big enough upgrade (being a complete change to the underlying system itself) that the line needed to be drawn. Plus, it's not like we're talking about massive market share. Isn't WP7/WP7.5 still at or around 1 or 2%? There are very very few people who actually bought those devices and continue to use them every day. They don't need or want anyone's sympathy, I'm sure.
No arguement there. just that doing something like that is not going to make people who just bought wp7.5 phone happy. personally, i don't want to buy a phone that i know would never get the latest os just a few months later. *
I didn't say anything about the Bionic as far as the hardware is concerned, did I?

The Bionic, the Droid and many other Android phones are perfect examples of how inconsistent Android upgrades are. You can buy a brand new phone and just a couple of months later your OS can be a full generation behind because every device manufacturer and every carrier has to put their own tweaks to Android. Your phone may or may not be updated. And if it is, the update may be buggy as hell because of the tweaks forced on it.

At least iPhone owners know iOS 6 is coming out in September.
For OS stability and latest quickest updates, Apple is the best as it controls the products very closely not providing specialized phones for different carriers which is what Android does. Also, Apple doesn't allow side loading. Of course, some people like the walled garden approach, others don't. someone who asks for a phone that just runs well, i suggest Apple. But for those who like to tweak the phone, Android is a better choice, imo. Yes, you can jb an iPhone to side load, but not everyone wants to jb their iPhone.

Thanks for the replies guys..

Yea, one thing I'm definitely doing is waiting until the new iPhone comes out and then possibly getting a S3 and doing the trial for 14-30 days so I can go to the 5 if I don't like it..
just speaking my personal thought here, i really only got the gs3 because it was the last phone that i could get on subsidized pricing and still keep unlimited data on verizon. had it not been for that, i would probably wait for some other phone. while the gs3 is good, there are upcoming phones that may be better.

I was part of a test for ICS and I had some issues, I wound up backing up and doing a factory reset, couldn't be happier. I wrote up a huge list of issues and submitted it to Motorola, unsurprisingly they just went ahead and released the test version.

Instead of a fix I think Motorola is just going to release JB. I'm curious to see what happens to Motorola under Google's rule, they make my favorite phone hardware (it's very well built, feels substantial and has excellent radios - I have an Otter Box Commuter on the thing so I can't say how durable it is, but I've dropped the thing on concrete a ridiculous number of times) but have always been a little lackluster with the software.

I'm disappointed the Razr HD apparently does not include the Maxx battery, I can't go back to a smaller battery and absolutely love ending the day with 80 - 90% battery life.

The iPhone 5 is set for a ETA September 21st release.
Don't worry, akin to the Razr/ Razr Maxx, the Razr HD comes out, then a few months later the Razr HD Maxx. I say in jest, but who knows with Moto...

The battery life on the Maxx is good, but at least for my usage, about 25% better than my gs3.
Old 08-22-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just speaking my personal thought here, i really only got the gs3 because it was the last phone that i could get on subsidized pricing and still keep unlimited data on verizon. had it not been for that, i would probably wait for some other phone. while the gs3 is good, there are upcoming phones that may be better.
But with that attitude one would never buy a phone because obviously the next phone to come out is going to be better than the last.
Old 08-22-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The battery life on the Maxx is good, but at least for my usage, about 25% better than my gs3.
4G LTE is a ridiculous drain on any phone. I'm sure if I disable mobile data on the GS3 it'd be more comparable to the Maxx. Speaking of which, does the GS3 have anything like Tasker / Smart Actions built in?

Wish there was a way to set it to Screen Off, If !Streaming, Set to Edge/2G.

But with that attitude one would never buy a phone because obviously the next phone to come out is going to be better than the last.
As much as this is true, there are "checkpoint" phones that you pick up, when there is a generational shift in technology. Technically, the Galaxy Nexus and HTC Rezound were them, but the GS3 is superior (faster processor, more RAM, better cameras), however not by as much as I was initially expecting. The One X also falls into this category, both the GS3 and One X didn't feel as "new" as I thought they would when they were released.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-22-12 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll be going the opposite way. Android owner since the OG Droid and I've had 3 Android phones and my wife has had 2. I'm ready to hop of the Android bandwagon and go over to the dark, boring side in hopes of a phone that will last all day without charging and a stable OS.
Old 08-22-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

4G LTE is a ridiculous drain on any phone. I'm sure if I disable mobile data on the GS3 it'd be more comparable to the Maxx. Speaking of which, does the GS3 have anything like Tasker / Smart Actions built in?

Wish there was a way to set it to Screen Off, If !Streaming, Set to Edge/2G.

As much as this is true, there are "checkpoint" phones that you pick up, when there is a generational shift in technology. Technically, the Galaxy Nexus and HTC Rezound were them, but the GS3 is superior (faster processor, more RAM, better cameras), however not by as much as I was initially expecting. The One X also falls into this category, both the GS3 and One X didn't feel as "new" as I thought they would when they were released.
There is no built in "Smart Actions" app for the GS3. that, I love about the Razr. I have tried a free app on my GS3 but it didn't work as well as Smart Actions on my Razr. I use my GS3 everyday since it has a larger screen and it has USB OTG. The Razr can use USB OTG as well but has to have an external power source. I use USB OTG to connect to an external keyboard. Of course, you could use a bluetooth keyboard, but to me, it isn't as convenient. OTOH, the Razr has independent hdmi output, whereas the GS3 requires a special MHL adapter (not standard MHL either). I use my Maxx when going out for the day or something as it gets better battery life and the screen is more visible in direct sunlight. I also have a lapdock for my Maxx which I love to use around the house moreso than my wife's netbook. Lapdock isn't as full featured as a netbook of course, but it is faster and for my uses (netflix, email, browsing), the lapdock works great and it cost a small fraction of what a netbook costs (for the atrix one).

As for upgrading, I have a Rezound, Maxx, and GS3. all 3 phones are usable to me, yes, my GS3 is slightly faster, but my Rezound and Maxx on ICS are no slouch either. The GS3, is, imo, a downgrade in terms of display in terms of quality. Of course, the GS3 is substantially bigger, and both have the same resolution. The battery life on the GS3 i think is better because of the CPU improvement and LTE onboard. When it comes down to it though, I think that the HTC quad core 1080 5" display phone would be the phone I would be getting, had verizon not canned unlimited data for subsidized upgrades. At this time, there are plenty of dual core phones running the S4 chip. to me, the biggest hardware advantage the gs3 has over other current phones would be the 2gb of ram.
Old 08-22-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

I had an iphone for gens 1 and 2, then switched over to android with an EVO for 2 years, and am now back on an iphone.

The main reason I switched over to android in the first place, was that yes, the iphone OS was already getting boring to me (even way back then!) and I wanted something new and fun to play and customize with. Then after 2 years of constantly fiddling with how my EVO looks, I came to the conclusion that I was spending more time customizing it then actually using it to run apps. Because face it, the android market sucks donkey balls compared to the iOS market. So I ditched it ... am happy again with the iphone. Yeah, I know the operating system isn't flashy, but I get to play all these cool niche games that aren't and probably won't ever be, available on android.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.