Reload this Page >

What's Google going to announce at I/O?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-26-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Obviously the tablet will be announced along with jelly bean. What else is in store? Will Majel be an integrated part of Jelly Bean? What other new stuff will be unveiled about Android? Google TV have a presence?

I'm looking forward to hearing the the Nexus. I have a Kindle Fire, but I'd buy a Nexus tab (priced at $200) so I can have removable storage and faster tablet in general. Plus, it'll have Jelly Bean.
Old 06-26-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: What's Google going to announce at I/O?

I am hoping to see more Nexus phones, specifically for Google to sell UNLOCKED GSM&CDMA capable Nexus in the similar range as the current Galaxy Nexus.
Old 06-26-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

If they did announce direct sales of a new nexus phone for about $399 w/ specs on par w/ the Galaxy S3, I'd consider canceling my order with Verizon.
Old 06-26-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it'll be anything other then Jelly Bean + Nexus Tablet.

Old 06-26-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I want to steal one of those and find a plastic egg to fit it. Then hide it in my yard for my kids during Easter.
Old 06-26-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
If they did announce direct sales of a new nexus phone for about $399 w/ specs on par w/ the Galaxy S3, I'd consider canceling my order with Verizon.
Something tells me that even if they did announce something, that it won't be for verizon. :-(

It would be nice to have a tablet that works on Verizon too.
Old 06-27-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nexus 7 Tablet.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/g...ed-before-i-o/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YMQdfGFK5XQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-27-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nexus Q streaming media player.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/31...media-streamer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7F5FO-MyR0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-27-12, 11:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm usually a sucker for the Nexus devices, but neither of those do anything for me.
Old 06-27-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts

Details on the Nexus 7:
http://www.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/t...d-movie-848760

This info apparently got leaked by accident; they haven't announced it in the keynote yet.
Old 06-27-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm looking forward to Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus, particularly the smoothness improvements of the UI and the notifications.
Old 06-27-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Google Now looks pretty damn sweet.

ew Google Now

Google Now is going to be a killer feature. It gives your Android phone complete awareness of your whereabouts and keeps you updated about any information you may need at any point during the day. It's quite smart.

If you are on route in the subway, for example, it will tell you when the next train is coming. If you search for a flight, it will create a card that would be constantly updated with flight information like gate, delays, or boarding time. If you go to a restaurant, it will offer you recommendations on the menu. This seems similar to some of the things Siri does on iOS, but it looks more useful to me, as it seems to anticipate situations based on your whereabouts.

The cards are clearly designed, with a good layout, images and typography.
Old 06-27-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

you know, seeing what phones are getting jelly bean the fastest, it almost makes me not want to buy any other phones other than google ones. hmmm
Old 06-27-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you know, seeing what phones are getting jelly bean the fastest, it almost makes me not want to buy any other phones other than google ones. hmmm
Yeah, owning a Nexus phone puts you on the fast track for Android updates.

Google Maps is going indoors now, able to view the inside of stores and bars and such in a "Street-view" like way.

Nexus 7 was officially announced, so the previously leaked videos and pages should start working again.

Pricing for Nexus Q was announced: $299. That's a lot more than the Apple TV.
Old 06-27-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_7_16gb
Old 06-27-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Yeah, owning a Nexus phone puts you on the fast track for Android updates.

Google Maps is going indoors now, able to view the inside of stores and bars and such in a "Street-view" like way.

Nexus 7 was officially announced, so the previously leaked videos and pages should start working again.

Pricing for Nexus Q was announced: $299. That's a lot more than the Apple TV.
The Q had some great features, built in NFC for media exchanging etc. But my desire for the product deflated with the price.

BUT a 7" tablet with GPS, NFC, Front Facing Camera, Bluetooth and Jellybean for $199? Yes please.
Old 06-27-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Further proof that phone costs are bullshit.
Old 06-27-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Further proof that phone costs are bullshit.
Yeah, I posted about that about year ago. I wondered why we could get tablets with similar specs as a phone, yet a phone was insanely more expensive. It's b/c phone makers are in cahoots with carriers. Why Google should be getting into the hardware business more a better variety of phones for all carriers.
Old 06-27-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whatever you do, if you want the latest software, don't buy a non Nexus branded Samsung. :-!
Old 06-27-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Google just showed skydivers wearing google glasses streaming live video while parachuting onto the convention center.

Yeah, I posted about that about year ago. I wondered why we could get tablets with similar specs as a phone, yet a phone was insanely more expensive. It's b/c phone makers are in cahoots with carriers.
I dunno. You'd think that if Samsung could launch the Galaxy S 3 for $400 or free with 2-year contract, the thing would fly off the shelf. There's two many different manufacturers competing with each other to keep the costs artificially high.

Tablets can be cheaper partially because they do less in a larger form factor. Not having to worry about cellular and having more space to fit everything means they can use cheaper components. Even Apple charges $100 extra for cell radio on an iPad.
Old 06-27-12, 01:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
BUT a 7" tablet with GPS, NFC, Front Facing Camera, Bluetooth and Jellybean for $199? Yes please.
Yeah, after further thought, if my Kindle Fire has an untimely death, I'll replace it with a Nexus 7.

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Whatever you do, if you want the latest software, don't buy a non Nexus branded Samsung. :-!
Unless you're willing to go the custom UI route (ie: Cyanogen), I agree. Even then, you'd have to be willing to install nightly builds. CM9 RC1 didn't come out until this week. I imagine CM10 won't be as big of a challenge for those guys, but it still won't be as quick as a Nexus device with the stock ROM.

I was dead set on buying a GSIII today, but maybe my Nexus S still has some life in it. I just hope the Jelly Bean update is earlier in July than later...
Old 06-27-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I know. That's why I'm reconsidering the GS3 preorder. I like the specs/features on the phone, but getting the newer OS sooner on a nexus phone is also a huge upside.
Old 06-27-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Google announced Google Glass Explorer Edition, available for pre-order to conference attendees, to ship "early next year." $1,500. And it's not even a finished, consumer-level product.

Otherwise, the attendees got out good: free Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and Nexus Q.
Old 06-27-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know. That's why I'm reconsidering the GS3 preorder. I like the specs/features on the phone, but getting the newer OS sooner on a nexus phone is also a huge upside.
Has it been confirmed that the next Nexus will be on Verizon? Although having the latest software is nice, I passed on the Galaxy nexus because of it's subpar radio. The gnex runs an OMAP 45nm chip and separate radios. The S3 uses the snapdragon s4 krait SoC which is a 28nm chip with the radios integrated into the chip. If the verizon S3 has a solid radio, then I would prefer the solid radio overver latest updates and subpar radio. Of course, if there is a new Verizon bound Nexus, then I would consider that as well.
Old 06-27-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has it been confirmed that the next Nexus will be on Verizon?
Nothing has been confirmed about the next Nexus phone. It's rumored to come out in November, but then, there's a rumor that there will be Nexus phones from up to 5 different OEMs this time around:
http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/0...multiple-oems/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.