Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What's Google going to announce at I/O?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What's Google going to announce at I/O?

Old 07-04-12, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: What's Google going to announce at I/O?

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
It's not a conclusion so much as an observation. That Apple often got slammed for not including "standard" connections in their devices (including no exandable memory) yet were very successful with those devices. Yet now that a high profile non-apple device does the same, I'm reading few that see that as a problem.
The biggest difference between the iPad and the Kindle Fire seems to be that the Fire feels like a portable device designed to stream content from your Amazon account, whereas the iPad is more a of 'computer' than the Fire or Nexus.

The iPad can be used for taking photographs, shooting video, recording audio, drawing, playing games, playing music, and playing video. Apple has been pushing apps like iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band that allow users to edit photos, video, and make music. It is for things like this would make it nice for the user to be able to slip a memory stick or SD card into it, in the event they needed more memory.

But a lot of people seem content with things like the Apple Tax and Crystal Prison Walled Garden mentality, so it seems to be something that's working out well for Apple. The stock we own certainly reflects that.

Myself, I tend to see through all of Apple's money-grubbing bullshit and avoid their products like the plague.
Old 07-04-12, 09:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I managed to sell my Kindle Fire. As much as I enjoyed it (it's perfect for what it's meant to do), someone was willing to give me "enough" for me to justify the upgrade to the Nexus 7.
The only thing I'm really going to miss on the Nexus 7 is Amazon Instant Video, but I've read that some people managed to get it working with Dolphin Browser HD. We'll see...
Old 07-05-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Google Plus app and web interface are both sooo superior to Facebook's piece of crap. The Android app in particular is a thing of beauty.

If Google Plus weren't such a ghost town, I'd ditch Facebook tomorrow.
Old 07-05-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Well, I managed to sell my Kindle Fire. As much as I enjoyed it (it's perfect for what it's meant to do), someone was willing to give me "enough" for me to justify the upgrade to the Nexus 7.
The only thing I'm really going to miss on the Nexus 7 is Amazon Instant Video, but I've read that some people managed to get it working with Dolphin Browser HD. We'll see...
The one thing I worry about with Amazon Prime is that JellyBean isn't getting Flash. I don't know if Prime is flash based though.
Old 07-05-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
The one thing I worry about with Amazon Prime is that JellyBean isn't getting Flash. I don't know if Prime is flash based though.
According to this help page, it uses Flash.
Old 07-05-12, 02:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

You can try installing the Instant Video app manually:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=10

But it's not guaranteed to work. It crashes on my Galaxy S III when I select a title... and there's no way to log into the app unless you make a purchase.

Old 07-07-12, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The biggest difference between the iPad and the Kindle Fire seems to be that the Fire feels like a portable device designed to stream content from your Amazon account, whereas the iPad is more a of 'computer' than the Fire or Nexus.

The iPad can be used for taking photographs, shooting video, recording audio, drawing, playing games, playing music, and playing video. Apple has been pushing apps like iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band that allow users to edit photos, video, and make music. It is for things like this would make it nice for the user to be able to slip a memory stick or SD card into it, in the event they needed more memory.

But a lot of people seem content with things like the Apple Tax and Crystal Prison Walled Garden mentality, so it seems to be something that's working out well for Apple. The stock we own certainly reflects that.

Myself, I tend to see through all of Apple's money-grubbing bullshit and avoid their products like the plague.
Interesting and good points. While I disagree that apple ever intended to have the iPad "like a computer" I agree some have a hard not looking at it like a computer and bring those perceptions to the product.

Interesting talking about money grubbing apple, yet their tablet (especially the 2) are a great value. We have discussed many times how few have come close to the iPad in terms of usability, quality, content and cost.

I don't really disagree (or agree) with the money grubbing comment. I see the cost or company philosophy as no different than any other feature. Since there is no perfect tablet, it becomes an issue of what works beat for you. And I'll put up with the money grubbing (tho I have yet to even buy their BT keyboard), for the excellent product. Besides, all companies are only in it for the profit. So you only talking degrees of grubbiness.
Old 07-07-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

I think that there are two main reasons why there is no sd card. 1st is quality control. Apple has no control over sd cards and potential problems. Second, it cost them over $300 bom for the base ipad that retails for $ 500. To double the memory cost $17 bom and adds $100 to the price of the device.
Old 07-07-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While a good reason, I don't think they have been successful if that was their plan (to make big bucks on higher memory models). Thus the low sales of the 64gb models.

I think it was more strategic than that. I think Apple wanted it to be clear the tablet was no laptop. Not in look, feel or how you store things. If that was the case, than I don't know if successful. They have sold a lot, but I have fielded questions from friends on what is the best BT keyboard? And do those wifi drives work. They are trying to tuen it into a netbook.
Old 07-07-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While a good reason, I don't think they have been successful if that was their plan (to make big bucks on higher memory models). Thus the low sales of the 64gb models.

I think it was more strategic than that. I think Apple wanted it to be clear the tablet was no laptop. Not in look, feel or how you store things. If that was the case, than I don't know if successful. They have sold a lot, but I have fielded questions from friends on what is the best BT keyboard? And do those wifi drives work. They are trying to tuen it into a netbook.
it doesn't surprise me that the 64gb models don't sell well. it seems like most higher end tablets and phones these days go for 16gb or 32gb primarily. The Touchpad had a 64gb version, but i'm betting a lot of people didn't even know that it existed. now, especially with icloud, there is less of a need for internal storage, unless you are far from wifi frequently.

i have a ipad bt keyboard that i use with my Touchpad, but only use it very occasionally. usually when i type a lot, i use my netbook, laptop, or desktop.
Old 07-07-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I argued this earlier, but I still don't see how an SD card slot makes it more like a laptop, let alone change the way you store things. The inclusion wouldn't change a darn thing in that regard.

Being able to sell a more expensive model with more memory, just like the iPhone, seems pretty simple to me.
Old 07-07-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If storage is the biggest concern for people, there are wireless hard drives that will work with tablets now (iPad included). I have a 500GB that will connect to mine wirelessly.
Old 07-13-12, 02:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Google's shipping Nexus 7 pre-orders today. All pre-orders will be shipped within the next 3 business days.
Old 07-13-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And apparently several retailers started shipping theirs early. I've seen photos from dozens of people who have already received theirs from places like Adorama, GameStop and Ebuyer (UK). It looks like Google has asked those retailers to suspend further shipments until Monday, but the cat is out of the proverbial bag.
Old 07-13-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone CC being charged?
Old 07-13-12, 04:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, but I just read that Canadians might be waiting an extra week.
Old 07-14-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They charged my CC, it shipped last night.

Any forum you recommend for an android newbie?
Right now I'm only checking Android Central, not sure it that's one of the best.
Old 07-14-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

what kind of recommendations do you want?
Old 07-14-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
They charged my CC, it shipped last night.

Any forum you recommend for an android newbie?
Right now I'm only checking Android Central, not sure it that's one of the best.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1673
Old 07-15-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
what kind of recommendations do you want?
Something like the XDA forums listed above. Just to read about the tablet, apps, mods, etc.