Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Comcast's New Bandwidth Cap Policy

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-19-12, 12:01 AM

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts

Comcast has announced changes to their 250GB bandwidth cap. For the time being, they are suspending the cap. They plan to roll-out two trial plans in limited areas. Both trials increase the usage cap to at least 300GB per month with additional usage blocks available ($10 for 50GB).

Comcast Monthly Data Usage Threshold Suspension

IMPORTANT UPDATE (May 17, 2012): Effective immediately, we've decided to change our Acceptable Use Policy and replace our current 250 GB monthly data usage threshold with a more flexible one. Our goal is to provide options that benefit consumers while also ensuring that all of our customers enjoy the best possible Internet experience over our high-speed data service. In the next few months, we are going to trial improved data usage management approaches that are comparable to plans that other Internet service providers in the market are using and will provide our customers with more choice and flexibility than our current policy. More information can be found in the Q&A below.

Q. What are the different approaches you will be testing?

A. We'll be piloting at least two approaches, and we'll provide additional details on these trials as they launch, but here is an overview.

In one pilot, we will offer multi-tier usage allowances that incrementally increase data usage allotments for each tier of high-speed data service from the current threshold. Thus, we'd start with a 300 GB data usage allotment for our Internet Essentials, Economy, and Performance Tiers, and then we would have increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service (e.g., Blast and Extreme). The very few customers who use more data at each tier can buy additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 for 50 GB).

In a second pilot, we will increase our data usage thresholds for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB).

In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage threshold for our customers from today's 250GB per month to at least 300GB per month.

Q. Where will these trials take place?

A. We're in the process of determining trial locations and will share more details soon.

Q. Does this mean you're going to stop cutting people off who exceed your cap?

A. Effective immediately, we are suspending enforcement of our current data usage cap and we will launch trials of new data usage approaches, although we will continue to contact the very small number of excessive users about their usage, which can be indicative of security or related issues.

READ FULL ARTICLE AT - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...excessive-use/
More Info
http://blog.comcast.com/2012/05/comc...pproaches.html
http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/17/tech...band/index.htm
http://stopthecap.com/2012/05/17/com...verlimit-fees/
Old 05-19-12, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Comcast's New Bandwidth Cap Policy

I had gone over the 250 over the summer last year and I never heard from them. Still, when most companies are capping usage, this is kind of refreshing.
Old 05-19-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Comcast out in front of this surprises me.

I still remember that Uverse supposedly put a cap in about a year and a half ago...yet it's never been enforced, ever.
Old 05-19-12, 12:49 PM

I think the main reason Comcast is doing this is because they don't count watching their Xfinity streaming service through an Xbox 360 to their customers cap, but if you watch Netflix or any other streaming service it does. It's causing many to accuse them of violating Net neutrality.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-va...from-data-cap-
Old 05-22-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question: Do you guys still have the 250GB "meter" under "Users & Settings" in your account page? Mine's still showing. Wanted to check before going crazy with uploading/downloading.
Old 05-22-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 847 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
Wow, Comcast out in front of this surprises me.

I still remember that Uverse supposedly put a cap in about a year and a half ago...yet it's never been enforced, ever.
I think AT&T did it for their DSL, but IIRC they never put a meter that was user-accessible for Uverse customers...
Old 05-22-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, there's definitely nothing there for Uverse, and never has been.
Old 05-22-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
Yeah, there's definitely nothing there for Uverse, and never has been.
There's a 250gb cap on UVerse, just no meter yet. Not sure if they've started with the overages though some reports say yes.
Old 05-22-12, 06:50 PM

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdevo View Post
Question: Do you guys still have the 250GB "meter" under "Users & Settings" in your account page? Mine's still showing. Wanted to check before going crazy with uploading/downloading.
Mine's been missing for about 2 months. There was some bug with the Xbox Xfinity app. People that used the app lost their usage meter. There's a big thread in the Comcast forums.
Old 05-22-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
There's a 250gb cap on UVerse, just no meter yet. Not sure if they've started with the overages though some reports say yes.
I'm 99% positive I've blown that cap out of the water in the last 3-4 months, and gotten absolutely nothing from UVerse whatsoever.
Old 05-26-12, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i destroy the cap every single month usually around 700gb or more. ive never heard a peep from comcast about it.
Old 05-26-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 310 Likes on 241 Posts

You people who dl 700 gb a MONTH-- Where do you STORE all that pron / torrents / stuff? Hard drives are expensive these days, and at 8.4 TB or more new storage needed each year, your costs must run high!

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-26-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
You people who dl 700 gb a MONTH-- Where do you STORE all that pron / torrents / stuff? Hard drives are expensive these days, and at 8.4 TB or more new storage needed each year, your costs must run high!

i have about 4tb in various hard drives. 90% of what i download is tv shows. most of those are deleted as soon as i watch them or burned to dvds if its something i assume will never be available on dvd or is hard to find.
Old 05-29-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heh. I'm up to 57TB of hard drive space in my house. Though usable space is only half that, since it's all duplicated.
Old 05-30-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 847 Likes on 669 Posts

What do you use for backup? Also, do you store it in another location? That's a lot of data.
Old 05-30-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I thought my 9TB NAS with only 4.5TB used is a lot of storage.
Old 05-31-12, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

There are literally tons of media to download every month. There are shows on Netflix or Hulu etc. Some people also stream shows live from the internet every day that wind up using gigabytes of data every week.

There are also podcasts of people discussing a favorite show or podcasts of shows that are internet only that take up a lot of bytes.

Personally, I also download a lot of TV shows in high quality. As you probably know, the higher the quality the more bytes per download.

I also download HD OTA TV shows from my antenna (Comcrap doesn’t count this) that take up a lot of hard drive space. Most of those shows are deleted after watching once or twice like chino77 does.

My NAS is just about filled up and I am hoping hard drive prices are priced more reasonably by xmas time.