Reload this Page >

Moving Over Bookmarked Websites To Firefox

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-12-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought a new HP desktop with Windows 7 and use Firefox. To save me the hassle of finding all my favorite websites and then having to re-bookmark them, I've been trying to locate where firefox stores its bookmark websites and copy them over from my favorites folder into the new bookmark folder location on my PC's hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Moving Over Bookmarked Websites To Firefox

Not difficult to Google this - here is an excerpt from the very first item I got when I Googled it:

From Internet Explorer
On Windows, Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey will automatically import Internet Explorer "Favorites" when first installed and (in Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey 1.x) whenever you create a new profile.
You can manually import your IE Favorites but you have to first use Internet Explorer to export the Favorites to a file, then use the Mozilla Suite SeaMonkey or Firefox Bookmarks Manager to import it.

To export your IE Favorites to a file
Open Internet Explorer
Press the "Alt" key to show the IE menu toolbar, if the menu bar is hidden (File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help menu items).
In the IE menu bar, go to "File -> Import and Export..."
Follow the prompts to export your IE favorites to a file, which will be named "bookmark.htm" by default.
After you've finished exporting your IE Favorites to a file, use the Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey or Firefox Bookmarks Manager and import the file.
Note: Specific steps to export your IE Favorites to a file will depend on your IE version. Check Internet Explorer Help (from the IE Help menu) or read this article.

taken from:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks
Old 05-12-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Not difficult to Google this - here is an excerpt from the very first item I got when I Googled it:

From Internet Explorer
On Windows, Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey will automatically import Internet Explorer "Favorites" when first installed and (in Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey 1.x) whenever you create a new profile.
You can manually import your IE Favorites but you have to first use Internet Explorer to export the Favorites to a file, then use the Mozilla Suite SeaMonkey or Firefox Bookmarks Manager to import it.

To export your IE Favorites to a file
Open Internet Explorer
Press the "Alt" key to show the IE menu toolbar, if the menu bar is hidden (File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help menu items).
In the IE menu bar, go to "File -> Import and Export..."
Follow the prompts to export your IE favorites to a file, which will be named "bookmark.htm" by default.
After you've finished exporting your IE Favorites to a file, use the Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey or Firefox Bookmarks Manager and import the file.
Note: Specific steps to export your IE Favorites to a file will depend on your IE version. Check Internet Explorer Help (from the IE Help menu) or read this article.

taken from:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks
[ ] Difficult
[ ] Answers the OP's question

1. Ctrl + Shift + B
2. Import and Backup...Export.
Old 05-13-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am kind of old-fashioned when it comes to this. I still use IE's method, where every link is a shortcut file, and then I launch them from the Start Menu. When I want a new site bookmarked, I open it in IE, leave, and then rename it or whatever I want to keep it better organized. It works for any browser as long as you make it the default. I find it convenient to back up and carry around on a USB stick, as I just have to copy a folder.

Although, with Windows 8 getting rid of the Start Menu, I may have to rethink that and do "native" bookmarking.
Old 05-13-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do not use IE. All of my existing favorites were bookmarked in Firefox. Does that make a difference?
Old 05-13-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I do not use IE. All of my existing favorites were bookmarked in Firefox. Does that make a difference?
It means that I'm the only person who actually read what you wrote, and you should follow the fairly straightforward steps I described in my previous post.
Old 05-13-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks! Mission accomplished.