Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

1st Website - All in One provider and Iweb questions from someone who needs help.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

1st Website - All in One provider and Iweb questions from someone who needs help.

Old 02-24-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Okay, so I've been knocking about a website idea for some time now and I'm at the stage where I just want it done. I've spent too much time on messing about and trying to learn some things (and starting over and over again), but I've no real web development skills (still quite minor after what I've done). I do have writing and photography skills as well as a bit of layout and design. I have hit dead-ends trying to do a google sites website and then transferring to the domain I have registered and I've tried a bit on Iweb, but heard it's a waste of time because of transferring issues at the end when trying to publish.

Is there a way to currently create a website on Iweb and then publish it (I have my domain name registered with godaddy.com)?

Now, if Iweb isn't an option I was thinking of going with an 'all in one' provider which offers templates to help build the website faster. The two I've been researching are http://order.1and1.com/ and www.webhostinghub.com. Any thoughts on these two or other options? I see that they are sites where you pay monthly for the service, which is fine, but it makes me wonder about future options if I wished to change down the road. So with that in mind: If I end up building a website through one of these types of companies using the templates and I wanted to change hosting or something else down the road would I need to start from scratch or would by website information be transferrable?

One final question in regards to the template website option: If there are some specific things I'd like to add to the website down the road (e.g. adding video or layout changes) after it's created, is it possible to make those changes or do I basically have to stay within the confines of what the template offers?

I apologize if these seem rather silly questions, but my knowledge is limited with regards to web programming and design. Thank you everyone in advance for any and all help you can give. And thanks for reading this.
Old 02-24-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 1st Website - All in One provider and Iweb questions from someone who needs help.

Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
Is there a way to currently create a website on Iweb and then publish it (I have my domain name registered with godaddy.com)?
Yes, but you need a web hosting service to publish to. iWeb is just a design tool, and does not have any hosting service built-in.

Just get a web hosting plan with someone, and get the FTP information for your account from that provider. Then publish your website via iWeb using that FTP information:

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/web/#ftp
Old 02-25-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: 1st Website - All in One provider and Iweb questions from someone who needs help.

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Yes, but you need a web hosting service to publish to. iWeb is just a design tool, and does not have any hosting service built-in.

Just get a web hosting plan with someone, and get the FTP information for your account from that provider. Then publish your website via iWeb using that FTP information:

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/web/#ftp

Thank you very much, Todd. This is great information. I can now research this option.

If anyone else wants to jump in on my other questions, please go for it. Or, if you know of another place where I may find these answers, please let me know. Thanks again.