Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help, which is the better Laptop?

Old 02-23-12, 12:50 AM

Help, which is the better Laptop?

I'm looking into a laptop for my girlfriend and an ad on bestbuy's flyer caught my eye today and i've been researching all night about specs and shit.

Don't want to go higher than 499$ which is the price of those two laptops

One is the Asus that's now 599 but will be 499 come friday and the other is a Lenovo that's 499 also.

Lenovo has Intel, Asus has AMD, they both have 8gb of ram so that's great right there.

It's more in the hardcore specs that i don't quite know which one wins

Check them out for yourselves

Lenovo :

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...b525262cdfen02

Asus

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Catalog/Produc...39&SortOption=

I mean the AMD has 4 cores but only 1.4GHZ per core as the Intel has 2 cores but 2.3. Also there's a difference in Cache memory whatever that means

Also on the Graphics card, the Asus has ATI Radeon which i think is good, the Lenovo has Intel HD card which i don't know about.

So many similar specs

Help please!

Hell this computer im on right now only has 2GB of ram and it's about 6 years old! so i guess anything is better than this dinosaur im on :P

Thanks!
Old 02-23-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Help, which is the better Laptop?

If all other things are equal (RAM, hard drive, DVD, etc..) the Lenovo has a slightly better processor while the ASUS has a way better graphics card. If you are playing any games or video editing the ASUS is better. Neither will run recent games at high settings but the ASUS will be better at mid settings. If you are doing regular stuff like e-mail and web surfing there's not a really big difference.

I bought my dad a similiarly specced Levono Ideapad back in December and he loves it. $500 seems a little high for an i3 but I guess I'm comparing it to pre Christmas prices. It seems like the going price for the A6.

Last edited by Kdogg; 02-23-12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Asus has a better graphics card, the Lenovo has the better processor, both are very solid machines. And both are overpriced.
Old 02-23-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i've seen 2nd gen i5's for less than 500, if you want a good deal, go to slickdeals or fatwallet and set up deal alerts.
Old 02-23-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Keep in mind the prices are for Canada.
Old 02-23-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lenovo will provide you better support over the life of the machine and they are built slightly better.

You have to ask what is more important to you.

a better graphics card
or
better processor, better support, better build quality

It's not that Asus is bad in any way at all, it is just that Lenovo is better
Old 02-23-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Along with the others mentioned, I would recomend checking out techbargins every day. You can find a better value than those two if you keep an eye out.
Old 02-23-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree Lenovo has better support, disagree about the build quality though - they seem to fall apart very, very easily around here. That said, they are great about free or low cost replacements.
Old 02-24-12, 11:21 AM

I just purchased the Asus. Gonna pick it up tonight at Best-Buy.

Btw what's the best and easiest way to transfers alot of files from my desktop to that new laptop. From XP to Win7.

I've read that maybe i could create a LAN and transfer files there? How do i make the two machines 'talk' to eachother?

Thanks for all the help people
Old 02-24-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 View Post
I just purchased the Asus. Gonna pick it up tonight at Best-Buy.

Btw what's the best and easiest way to transfers alot of files from my desktop to that new laptop. From XP to Win7.

I've read that maybe i could create a LAN and transfer files there? How do i make the two machines 'talk' to eachother?

Thanks for all the help people
I am not sure about XP, but I have a mac and a windows 7 laptop on the same wireless network and you can just designate folders to share on each machine and they will see each other and transfer files very easily. I imagine you could do the same with the XP machine and windows 7.
Old 02-24-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The was the first result from a quick google search:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/
Old 02-24-12, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I am not sure about XP, but I have a mac and a windows 7 laptop on the same wireless network and you can just designate folders to share on each machine and they will see each other and transfer files very easily. I imagine you could do the same with the XP machine and windows 7.
Cool , except my desktop which is the XP machine is not on the wireless network. Itís plugged in directly in the router. Does that make a difference? Yes the laptop uses the Wifi but my desktop is cabled.

But thanks for that link I will definitely use it tonight when I futz around with both computers!
Old 02-24-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 View Post
Cool , except my desktop which is the XP machine is not on the wireless network. Itís plugged in directly in the router. Does that make a difference? Yes the laptop uses the Wifi but my desktop is cabled.

But thanks for that link I will definitely use it tonight when I futz around with both computers!
If the one is pluged into your wireless router, they are on the same network, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-24-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
If the one is pluged into your wireless router, they are on the same network, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Make sure they are in the same workgroup. You may also have to tweak your firewall.