Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Wireless routers are supposed to not interfere with each other right?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-22-12, 09:57 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

At work we've been just fine with our Netgear N300 3500L router, but all of a sudden last week, we've been getting spotty reception and REALLY slowed down speeds.

I checked other networks in the area with my phones wifi app and evidently the company next door has a stronger signal and on the same channel. In fact the three networks in range were all on channel 6.

I went in to our router and changed the channel from 'auto' to 8 and thought that would fix it. Nope.

Connecting a computer with an ethernet cable to the router gives DL speeds of 38mbps--about normal for us.

We used to get great connectivity. Can routers get slow without outright failing? Interference? I can tell the company next door to change a setting--they're our tenants.
Old 02-22-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Wireless routers are supposed to not interfere with each other right?

Channels overlap, so using 8 won't be much different from 6. You can try 1 or 11 if its actually an interference issue.
Old 02-22-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes to all of the above.

Change it to channel 1 or 11, channel 8 is 2.447 ghz which is close to the same frequency as Channel 6, you want to be as far from Channel 6 as possible.

Routers can go slow and get spotty before failing completely as well.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-22-12 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To expound, there are some technical terms. When you were all using Channel 6, you were subject to what's called "co-channel interference". WiFi devices can negotiate co-channel interference to some extent, but overall, if all the networks in range were using that channel as you say, then it may have just been too much traffic to overcome the interference.

When you were using channel 8 and they were using channel 6, then you're subject to "adjacent channel interference". This is more difficult to overcome, as the WiFi devices can't negotiate interference mitigation techniques since they are on different channels. As the posters above say, the best bet is to get on a channel as far away from the others, so in this case, channel 1 or 11 (contrary to the picture, there is still some really small amount of overlap between channels 1 and 6, and 6 and 11).

There are other possible sources of interference too. As 2.4 GHz is an unlicensed spectrum, so any number of devices can operate in that spectrum, causing interference, without showing up on your WiFi scanner. Things like cordless phones, microwaves, etc.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...nce_at_2.4_GHz

If you're still having problems, another possible solution is to get 802.11n equipment and operate in the 5 GHz spectrum. Besides having a lot less congestion and usage in that spectrum than 2.4 GHz, there is more spectrum available, and I believe the 802.11n standard helps negotiate interference better.
Old 02-23-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
If you're still having problems, another possible solution is to get 802.11n equipment and operate in the 5 GHz spectrum.
Of course, you have to make sure that all the Wi-Fi clients support the 5 GHz band, too. Look for adapters marked for 5 GHz or "dual-band".