Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Catalogging apps. for iOS and Mac OS X?

Old 02-21-12, 08:23 AM

Catalogging apps. for iOS and Mac OS X?

I've had DVDPedia for years, used to update my DVD and Blu-Ray collection but not so much lately. They had an app. Pocketpedia which is no longer in the App. Store. That sync'd with the desktop application by Wifi and still works. However, they used to depend on scraping Amazon and IMDB, which they no longer are able to do. Looks like they depend on something called Doghouse.

Pocketpedia app. is no longer updated and it has no barcode support so essentially, it's best for browsing the library, not adding to it. Back in the day when you could buy media at retail, you could check to make sure you already didn't have the DVD on sale or check reviews because it would link directly to IMDB.

DVDPedia is still supported and is on the Mac App Store but the barcode support doesn't work too well.

I have an evaluation copy of Delicious Library 2 and its barcode seems to work better. However, it apparently has no mobile apps. to sync to?

I searched and found something called My Movies for iPhone, My Movies for iPad and for Mac OS X. Good ratings in the App and Mac App Store but the prices of each all add up, $5 for iPhone, $7 for iPad, $15 for Mac -- still less than the price of Delicious Library. I downloaded the free version but it turns out they require an account and they sync the different versions through their server. Generally prefer not to create accounts and don't want to figure out their privacy policies.

I see DVD Profiler universal app. in the App Store. That used to be the gold standard back in the day. Main negative is that there's no Mac OS X client, just for Windows. But if the app. is sufficient on phones or tablets, that might be good enough, assuming good barcode support.

Are there any other good combos? Would be great to have desktop and mobile clients which sync collections, robust barcode support.