Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

The house-fire thread in other got me thinking--safety of rechargables?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-20-12, 03:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I have a rechargeable mouse that I leave in the cradle when I'm not using it. Sometimes it's very very warm when I come home and use it. Sometimes it's not.

Could it explode into flames some day? Is there a safe way to store it while leaving it to charge? Is it normal? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 02-20-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The house-fire thread in other got me thinking--safety of rechargables?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I have a rechargeable mouse that I leave in the cradle when I'm not using it. Sometimes it's very very warm when I come home and use it. Sometimes it's not.

Could it explode into flames some day? Is there a safe way to store it while leaving it to charge? Is it normal? Any advice is appreciated!
your mouse gets warm when charging? i never experienced this with my mice, but maybe i didn't pay much attention.

when you say very very warm, how warm do you mean?
Old 02-20-12, 05:21 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I don't know how to judge the temperature without a laser thermometer. Very warm, like a drinkable cup of coffee (mug) maybe. It's alarming because it's inconsistent.
Old 02-20-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Go to Best Buy. Get a different mouse and try it. See if that happens again. You can always return it.

I don't think anyone can answer "can it suddenly explode molten mushroom cloud" without knowing if it is truly defective. You might also email the maker. Who know, you might get lucky and they offer a free replacement or maybe a coupon off for a new one. Putting them on notice you are concerned about a safety issue (not just performance) I would imagine would get their attention.

My initial thought is also what if you spill something or condensation gets on it. Might that be a trigger?
Old 02-20-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, i can't speak for a mouse, but my cell phone gets hot, it's hot enough that it is not comfortable to hold. it is possible for batteries to explode.
Old 02-20-12, 06:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

laptops, plasma tv's, and av receivers get hot too.
Old 02-21-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My current mouse is flaking out so I just unpacked my old Logitech MX700. An awesome mouse for it's day, but obsolete in terms of tracking and power usage. I recall it use to become warm while charging, but it doesn't seem to be doing that now. I think it failing to recharge properly was the reason I replaced it. It will use up 2 fully charged AAs in a couple of days. Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up an M510 from BB where it is on sale. Logitech claims it's 2 AA batteries will last 2 years.

If your mouse uses NiMH then it is normal for it to become warm, or even hot. It shouldn't damage the batteries until it approaches the point where it burns after more than a second or two of contact, and even at that point it will damage their performance, not make them burst into flames. Also, temperature inconsistency is normal. NiMH chargers must monitor the charge state of batteries and adjust the voltage so they don't damage the cells, but some are dumber than others. Also, fully charged batteries get hotter because they don't have anywhere to store the energy.