Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the big deal with touchscreens and all-in-one desktop computers?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-11-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My Dell desktop's performance has been sluggish for a while, and I realized that it's like seven years old. Time for a new one. I took an initial look at one big-box store, and front and center were their all-in-one touchscreen computers. Why? It seems like touchscreen is not that useful for a desktop other than to make people feel like they're using a tablet, and an all-in-one looks cool but (1) takes up a lot of desk space and (2) seems hard to fix/upgrade.

I don't game on PC and I'm a fairly normal user except I've always wanted to try video editing, which would boost my processor needs, and (2) I have a lot of media, meaning I need a lot of HD capacity. That said, my wife would probably use the machine for normal stuff a lot more than I would for flashy stuff, but I'd still like to have the option. I'm not much of an upgrader so would like to get something that will last a while. I had gotten a Dell because my last couple PCs were from local clone manufacturers that disappeared, so I decided to go for a name brand--ironically it had some problems right out of the gate, then the hard drive died midway through, but I won't blame current slowness problems on the manufacturer when it's so old. So I'm not opposed to looking at a Dell again, but am also checking out HP, and even found out that Gateway still exists.

Right now I'm looking to skip the all-in-one touchscreens and get something in the 1K range like the HP Pavilion HPE h8xt or Dell XPS (what I have now, or whatever the equivalent was years ago) with at least a quad-core Sandy Bridge, 8G RAM, and 2 TB SATA HD. Costco had an HP P7-1267 in i5-2400, 8GB DDR3, and 1TB 7200 RPM HD for $899, but I don't think that's quite what I want. Their site also has a ZT Systems (who?) Affinity 7644Mi with Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz), Intel® H67 Chipset, 16GB DDR3 Memory (4 slots, 32GB MAX), 2TB SATA II Hard Drive, and 12X Blu-ray Rewritable Drive for $799, which sounds good for the price.

Any thoughts from experts? I read through some older threads but didn't find anything covering the new all-in-one trend.
Old 02-11-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: What's the big deal with touchscreens and all-in-one desktop computers?

Why not get a laptop and add on an external monitor and keyboard? Best of both worlds.
Old 02-11-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Why not get a laptop and add on an external monitor and keyboard? Best of both worlds.
I thought about that, but I read that if I don't really need the portability, I can get more power for the buck out of a desktop.
Old 02-13-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dell XPS 8300 for $600, and you can use some coupons floating around for slightly less. IMO, this is a pretty good mid-high level pc. not as high as i7 of course, but for moderate video editing, this should be fine. video editing may take a little longer, but for casual stuff in which time is not super critical, then it should be fine. for heavy video editing when time is of the essence, go with the i7.

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 (3.0GHz, 6MB Cache)
8GB memory
1.5TB hard drive
16X DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
19-in-1 Media Card Reader
Dell 1501 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Mouse and keyboard included
THX® TruStudio PC™ Sound
Dimensions 22.5" (L) x 20.94" (W) x 15.38" (H)
Genuine Windows 7 ® Home Premium (64-bit)
1 warranty

http://slickdeals.net/f/3939638-Dell...4#post47638228
Old 02-13-12, 08:06 AM

Not sure I'd buy an all-in-one. It seems like they'd be hard to upgrade?
Old 02-13-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's the thing--it seems like form over function. You can't easily get another monitor, I heard the components are slightly different from standard, etc.

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Dell XPS 8300 for $600, and you can use some coupons floating around for slightly less. IMO, this is a pretty good mid-high level pc. not as high as i7 of course, but for moderate video editing, this should be fine. video editing may take a little longer, but for casual stuff in which time is not super critical, then it should be fine. for heavy video editing when time is of the essence, go with the i7.

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 (3.0GHz, 6MB Cache)
8GB memory
1.5TB hard drive
16X DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
19-in-1 Media Card Reader
Dell 1501 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Mouse and keyboard included
THX® TruStudio PC™ Sound
Dimensions 22.5" (L) x 20.94" (W) x 15.38" (H)
Genuine Windows 7 ® Home Premium (64-bit)
1 warranty

http://slickdeals.net/f/3939638-Dell...4#post47638228
Thanks, D.Pham. I doubt I'll get too heavy so this is good to consider.
Old 02-13-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Probably a lot of proprietary components, you would probably have to buy through the manufacturer. A standard desktop would be much easier to upgrade. The biggest benefit is the small form factor. Other than that, I would pass.
Old 02-14-12, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet the target market doesn't really want to upgrade anything anyway. RAM has gotten to the point where systems come with enough that most people don't need to add more later. If they need more storage, they can get an external drive. It's not like it's for gamers that may need a more powerful video card down the line.
Old 02-14-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AIO PCs have been seeing a resurgence in recent years, possibly to compete with the iMac, which has had an AIO form factor since 1998 (with previous Macintoshes going in and out of AIO designs, starting with the first one).

I imagine like the iMac, the RAM and the HDD are user serviceable, and that's about it. Similar to a laptop.

Part of the appeal is losing the PC box and only having the monitor. I think not having to deal with a box and wires is why many people go for laptops over desktops at home, and these counter that a bit. Integrating the monitor and speakers into the PC saves space and cabling. Add in wireless keyboard/mouse and appliances and you have something aesthetically pleasing.

Not sure about the touchscreen. MS has been pushing touch technology since they integrated their tablet features into all versions of Windows with Vista. It could also be a way to distinguish from an iMac, or get one up on Apple, if you assume Apple will eventually make a touchscreen iMac.

For a power user looking for the best bang for the buck, a traditional desktop design is cheaper and easier to upgrade.
Old 02-17-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good deal for i7.

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/3958208-De...-Free-Shipping

Dell MPP has their Dell XPS 8300 Desktop + 24" Dell ST2420L 1080p LED Monitor for $784 - $50 off code B94N1GC3$6FMM? = $735 ($713 w/ DPA) with free shipping. Thanks richehome Specs

Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz 8GB DDR3 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6450 16X CD/DVD Burner Dell 1501 Wireless-N PCIe Card Windows 7
Old 02-17-12, 07:33 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good luck finding anyone to work on those all-in-ones if anything ever goes wrong. Chances are you'll ship it back to the manufacturer and pay through the nose for repairs and wait forever to get it back. Seems to me like they're basically throw away computers, they break, pitch it and buy a new one. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for one of them.

If it's going to be stationary, there's nothing like a well constructed desktop computer, I love to build them, they're easy to repair, replacement components aren't that expensive, upgrade capabilities are only limited by the motherboard and even that is readily replaceable. Find a reputable computer guy to build you one, it won't be cheap, but you'll get what you want in it instead of what computer manufacturers want you to settle for. As far as store bought computers, the 2 that D.Pham00 posted links to are not bad at all.

If it's ever going to be mobile, a laptop is my preference over a netbook or tablet. Screen size is nicer (no squinting to see anything). Just remember, you get what you pay for with a laptop.

I dislike the idea of touchscreens only because people will touch them, and more often that not they'll have something on their fingers when they touch them. Before you know it the screen is absolutely disgusting. You wouldn't believe the laptops I've seen where the screen has been mucked up with people's greasy finger smears, and they aren't even touch screens!

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-
Old 02-17-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HP just unveiled an all-in-one PC with easily user-accessible parts:
http://www.slashgear.com/hp-z1-works...s-on-14213522/
Old 02-17-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
HP just unveiled an all-in-one PC with easily user-accessible parts:
http://www.slashgear.com/hp-z1-works...s-on-14213522/
It is also $1800... I didn't see the exact specifications, but for most people, the computers I listed above would be more than adequate.

Old 02-17-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought one a few years ago to make a touchscreen music/video jukebox for my house. I'm still working on it. Works fine as a normal PC, though.
Old 02-17-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is also $1800...
Well, it starts at $1899, so closer to $1900. There are iMacs that cost that much (the 27" iMac starts at $1700).

I didn't see the exact specifications, but for most people, the computers I listed above would be more than adequate.
Oh, definitely. I just saw it and thought of this thread.
Old 05-20-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just updating the thread--thanks to all those who opined. I ended up getting another Dell and went Inspiron instead of XPS but upgraded it to the i5. I went direct from the Dell site so I could upgrade the hard drive to 2TB, and also kicked up to 8GB RAM and the AMD Radeon video card. I think it came to around $800 after coupon and before add-ons, taxes, etc.

Inspiron 620 Minitower, No Bezel
Inspiron 620, Intel Core i5-2320 processor(6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2x4GB
Dell 21.5 Inch Wide, ST2220LB
AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3
2TB Hard Drive 3.5 7200rpm SATA
Old 05-22-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Just updating the thread--thanks to all those who opined. I ended up getting another Dell and went Inspiron instead of XPS but upgraded it to the i5. I went direct from the Dell site so I could upgrade the hard drive to 2TB, and also kicked up to 8GB RAM and the AMD Radeon video card. I think it came to around $800 after coupon and before add-ons, taxes, etc.

Inspiron 620 Minitower, No Bezel
Inspiron 620, Intel Core i5-2320 processor(6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2x4GB
Dell 21.5 Inch Wide, ST2220LB
AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3
2TB Hard Drive 3.5 7200rpm SATA
Just FYI, that video card is not very good for gaming, in case you were planning on that. It's fine for videos and general computer use though.
Old 05-22-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Just FYI, that video card is not very good for gaming, in case you were planning on that. It's fine for videos and general computer use though.
Cool, thanks. I wasn't going to use it for gaming as I have consoles for that and I never have time to play them anyway.

I also splurged on the $29 purple bezel because it's the wife's favorite color.
Old 05-22-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am not really sure that the 6450 is really even much better than the integrated graphics. Maybe slightly better at best.
Old 05-24-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am not really sure that the 6450 is really even much better than the integrated graphics. Maybe slightly better at best.
Ha, well, I'm probably not the first person to fall for that upsell
Old 05-26-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I bet the target market doesn't really want to upgrade anything anyway.
Bingo.

Besides, if you really care about upgrades, you should be able to build your own desktop. Not that hard.
Old 04-09-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just to further close the loop here: I took my mother-in-law shopping this weekend and she loved the all-in-one touchscreen so that's what she got. But she doesn't like her current setup of cables, and she's still doing the same stuff (e-mail, light browsing, checkbook) that she did when she got her current computer years ago so she's never going to need to upgrade. Makes sense for her.
Old 04-09-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just took a look at the HP Z1 on the HP website and I have a question. The most expensive model has only TWO USB 3 ports, but it has SEVEN USB 2 ports! Why the hell don't they just make them all USB 3 ports? I believe that all USB 2 devices will work just fine when plugged in to a USB 3 port, my USB 2 stuff certainly works when plugged into a USB 3 port! So, why do they do this? I am really and truly curious about this.
Old 04-09-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's probably just cost and lack of demand. For most people, the only thing they need USB 3.0 for is external hard drives, and they're not likely to connect more than one or two at a time.
Old 04-10-13, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's probably just cost and lack of demand.
Yeah, if USB 3.0 ports cost the same as USB 2.0 ports, of course all of them would be USB 3.0.

These two links show that there's USB 3.0 host controllers that can only handle 2 ports:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110818PD222.html
http://via-labs.com/en/products/vl806/index.jsp

It's cheaper to include one 2-port USB 3.0 host controller and then use a USB 2.0 host controller for the rest of the ports than it is to use a USB 3.0 controller (or possibly multiple ones) for all those ports.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.