Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need some noise-cancelling cell phone headset recommendations

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-17-12, 04:26 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Any headsets that cover both ears for listening to music during noisy plane trips and are considered 'noise cancelling' with microphone to make calls. Anyone know?
Old 01-18-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Re: Need some noise-cancelling cell phone headset recommendations

JLAB makes a few different varieties. They range in price (on Amazon) from $25ish to $50ish. I have no idea how well they work.
Old 01-18-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I started to type a huge response but the damn page refreshed and i lost it all. I researched this for months before a 40+ hour time in the air for a trip to china, around china, and back. I went with BOSE, and have no regrets. I have tinnitus, so i need quiet or it "flares" up. The BOSE QC15 was by far the most comfortable over-the-ear set I have tried and the cancelling is unmatched. I never thought I could wear them for 4 hours straight, but i did. Then I switched.
I also bought the Audio-Technica ATH ANC23 QuietPoint buds and despite the battery not lasting, the battery pack being in the most annoying location, for airplane engines, the buds worked better. Mostly because they injected the sound into my ears, and I didn't have to crank my volume as much as I had to with the BOSE. I could wear these for a couple of hours no problem. Then i switched back to the bose. Switching back and forth really made the trip more enjoyable... it was a comfort-balancing issue.

When looking at NC headphones, it is important to consider they work actively on droning, repetitive noise. They cannot predict and account for random noises (like speech) as well. That is what the isolation component is for (buds or over-the-ear). So don't go in expecting perfect silence. You will hear the muffled sound of a stewardess asking if you want chicken or beef. And that is actually a good thing.
Old 01-18-12, 02:39 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^ Agree with above, although I'm thinking of a different Audio Technica model

Great: Bose QC15, $300
Very slightly worse noise canceling: Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b, $132

I would buy the Audio Technica.
Old 01-18-12, 08:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thank you so much for this info! This saves a lot of research time!
Old 01-19-12, 01:58 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

David Pogue of the NYT just published a review of NC headphones. He looked at 11 models: Able Planet NC1100B ($250), AKG K495 NC from Harman ($350), Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B ($125), Bose QuietComfort 15 ($300), Creative HN-900 ($100), JVC HANC250 ($103), Monster Beats by Dr. Dre ($300), Panasonic RP-HC720 ($90), Sennheiser PXC 310 ($300), Sony MDR-NC200D ($200) and Sony MDR-NC500DM3 ($400).

He says that the Bose QC15 is best at noise cancellation, but there are other factors as well, including price.

The article is somewhat long, so here is the link.
Old 01-19-12, 03:47 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The catch is finding some that also have a mic. for making phone calls with....
Old 01-19-12, 10:45 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Bose QC15 has that.
Old 01-21-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had some gift cards from Christmas and decided to pick up the QC15s. I never would have spent that much on a set of headphones but considering I only had to pay $75 out of my pocket I figured I would splurge. They come with two cords which are interchangeable. One has the mic and volume controls where the other is just standard. Its really cool that you can remove the cord all together if you just want quite. Ear piece is really nice and software. I should be able to wear them for a few hours before fatigue sets in. The plastic does seem a little cheap for something in this price range but its not that bad. Happy customer so far.
Old 01-27-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I noticed the cheapness of the plastic too... but I have found it's pretty damn sturdy... just made superlight for comfort.
Old 11-24-16, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BUMP

I'm looking for some NC headphones for plane rides. Reviews seem to point to the Bose QuietComfort as the best available right now, and I'm OK with paying for them if they're worth it. I'd probably go for the 35s to have the Bluetooth option. Open to other thoughts, though.

(Unlike the OP, I don't need a mic. This just seemed like a better thread to bump than another one about NC headphones.)
Old 11-24-16, 08:14 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Things have changed. The newest appeal of top-end NC headphones is Bluetooth/wireless.

Two of the high-end models are the Bose QC35 ($350) and the Sony MDR1000 ($400). Most reviews will say that NC and comfort are about equal between the headphones (Bose used to lead), but the Sony has more advanced touch controls (swipe to adjust volume and to change tracks). Best of all, the Sony lets you cup your hand over it to stop music and NC so you can hear ambient noise for a moment (for example a flight attendant talking with you). I travel a lot, and I know how inconvenient it is to pause music and remove the headphones when someone wants to talk briefly. If price is no object, I would get the Sony.

Comparison here:
Old 11-24-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

http://www.focal.com/headphones/#utopia
Old 11-24-16, 11:02 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Imported from France and from $4000? Mon Dieu! They'd better be handcrafted by virgin French girls raised on nothing but fromage and foie gras.
Old 11-24-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They better include the girls too!

Thanks for the tip on the Sony, Psi. Researching my options--$400 isn't a dealbreaker, but I feel like I started looking at the $250 range and it keeps going up.
Old 11-25-16, 12:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

The new KEF / Porsche noise cancelling headphones look amazing. If I had $400 to drop on that shit, I'd be all over those. I don't think they do bluetooth, though.
Old 11-25-16, 08:34 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Sony, Psi. Researching my options--$400 isn't a dealbreaker, but I feel like I started looking at the $250 range and it keeps going up.
At the higher end of mainstream models, I would consider:
- Bose QC15 (wired): discontinued but you can still buy from Costco for $215.
- Bose QC25 (wired): $300
- Bose QC35 (similar to QC25 but wireless): $350
- Sony MDR1000 (wireless): $400

It's hard to describe the value of wireless. If you mostly sit in one place to listen, then it might not matter, but I like to listen while I move about the house, so having wireless headphones is tremendously liberating. Also, they are easier to connect with the latest iPhone models, so that's another big plus.
Old 11-25-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the thing. I've never used wireless before because I was unsure about the sound quality, but there are times when the cord gets tangled, and if I'm going to get some nice headphones, I'd like to have the wireless option in case I end up preferring that, and as you say as a kind of future-proofing.
Old 11-25-16, 04:39 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New video comparing the "top 5" wireless headphones:

Here is an Australian audiophile reviewer talking about the Bose QC36 and wireless benefit at 3:30. He is normally into really high-end stuff, so it's unusual that he even considers Bose. Note that in this video, he is talking about the Sony MDR-100ABN, not Sony MDR1000 which I mentioned previously.
Old 11-28-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did try on both the Bose and Sony this weekend and found the former more comfortable. There might be some adjustments to be made there, but that's going to be a factor for me. Leaning toward the Bose right now because of that, and the 50 buck difference doesn't hurt either.
Old 11-30-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Here is an Australian audiophile reviewer talking about the Bose QC36 and wireless benefit at 3:30. He is normally into really high-end stuff, so it's unusual that he even considers Bose. Note that in this video, he is talking about the Sony MDR-100ABN, not Sony MDR1000 which I mentioned previously.
Damn, Amazon has the 100ABN for $199 as a DOTD. Another factor to consider.
Old 11-30-16, 02:35 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Damn, Amazon has the 100ABN for $199 as a DOTD. Another factor to consider.
That's a tough decision. $199 is a good price for wireless AND noise-canceling.

On the question of comfort, I had that problem with a pair of corded headphones I owned previously, the Audio Technica ATH-ANC9. The clamping pressure was slightly higher than with the Bose, so I found it OK if I wear it for 1-2 hours, but beyond that, it started getting uncomfortable, so it depended on where I was traveling. On shorter trips, it was OK but on longer flights, I would have to take a break, maybe read something, before listening again.

I have never experienced the Sony 100ABN though, so I can't comment on it.