Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Canon Rebel T3i help (comparison)

Old 01-15-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Canon Rebel T3i help (comparison)

After reading the thread about DSLR cameras, I'm really thinking about getting a Canon Rebel T3i. I am a novice, but really want to learn how to take pictures the 'right' way. Anyhow, while I was looking at Target.com, they have 3 T3i's listed...one with the 'standard 18-55 lens, and 2 with an additional lens, so of course they are more money, but... When I did a comparison of the 3, there are TOTALLY different features listed for all 3. Some of the HUGE differences I noticed are things like:

VIDEO:
Basic - 1080p HD Movie Recording
#2 - Manual Focus, Mode Selection Dial, Auto Focus, 1080p HD Movie Recording, Face Detection Technology, DIGIC 4 Image Processor, Self Timer
#3 - DIGIC 4 Image Processor, Self Timer, Manual Focus, Mode Selection Dial, 1080p HD Movie Recording, Auto Focus, Face Detection Technology

IMAGE EDITING:
BASIC - Date Time Imprinting, Auto Image Rotation
#2 - Fish Eye, Image Resizing, Miniature, Black and White
#3 - Image Resizing, Miniature, Black and White, Fish Eye

MEDIA CARD COMPATIBILITY:
Basic - SD Card
#2 - Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) Card, Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Card, Secure Digital (SD) Card
#3 - Secure Digital (SD) Card, Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Card, Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) Card

The differences go on & on. HERE IS THE TARGET COMPARISON LINK

Please tell me if they all really have different features, or if they are just trying to sway consumers to spending more cash.

Thanks,

~S2K
Old 01-15-12, 04:18 PM

Re: Canon Rebel T3i help (comparison)

The link just takes me to the Target home page but I did a search for the T3i and then did the compare. The T3i body is the same in all 3. Not sure why they list different features. The cheapest is the body and the 18-55IS (Image Stabilization) lens. The 2nd is the same thing plus the 75-300mm non IS lens. The last is the same as the first but the 55-250mm IS lens.

Last fall I went with the T3i 18-55mmIS kit with the 55-250mmIS lens. Have not regretted it once.

Unless you specifically want to get it from Target, I would shop around... their prices seem rather high.
Old 01-15-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't looking to get it at Target, I was just seeing if it was on sale. When you compare the 3, the specs aren't even close in comparison, so I figured I better ask around first. Why are they so different? Even the view finder is listed different in the basic:

View Finder Type: Optical and LCD (w/extra lens) LCD (basic) Optical and LCD
(w/extra lens)

So all three 'cameras' are the same, correct? They just choose to fudge the features in the base 'camera-only' one?
Old 01-15-12, 05:39 PM

No idea why the specs are so screwed up from bundle to bundle on Target's site. Maybe computer error on importing the specs or if a human did it perhaps they were trying to justify the price increase between bundles.

Here's the Canon link for the T3i 18-55mm kit:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...55mm_is_ii_kit

There is a Canon T3 that is less expensive and has fewer features but that's not listed on Target's site.
Old 01-15-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All those specs look the same to me, just in a different order. I bet they are all the same camera.
Old 01-15-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome, thanks! I knew about the T3 but I definitely want the T3i for the 1920 x 1080 Full HD video. I'm probably going to wait on the extra lens for now until I get used to how to use it first. I've heard nothing but good reviews about it...I can't wait!

Thanks again!