Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

To iPhone 4S or not to iPhone 4S...

Old 01-10-12, 09:04 PM

To iPhone 4S or not to iPhone 4S...

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be eligible for a phone upgrade with Verizon next month and I'm not an expert on cell phones, so I'm curious what are the best options out there right now. I haven't heard anything bad about the iPhone 4S so I am leaning towards that. I primarily use my phone for txting, e-mail, and internet. Less frequently, I use it to take pictures.

I think the advantage of the iPhone for me is that I also have an iPod; with the iPhone, it's a 2-for-1 deal and I don't need to carry a phone and iPod around.

For anyone with knowledge about the recent phones available and their specs, or if you have a different cell phone that you really like, I'd love to hear input about which phone on the market would be best for me.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: To iPhone 4S or not to iPhone 4S...

I'm no Verizon expert but I believe the Galaxy Nexus is an awesome android phone.

Right now I have an Evo Shift but after buying an ipad 2, I was seriously considering going to an iphone. But after messing around with my daughters ipod touch, I'm happier to just use my ipad for my apple device and stick with Android for my phone.

So around November, when I get my max upgrade credit, I'll probably go with the Nexus.
Old 01-10-12, 09:40 PM

Thanks, Mister Peepers. It looks like the Nexus costs as much as an iPhone, so hopefully it's at least as good. I'll have to look into that one more.

I probably should've said in my original post that I have a Droid Incredible now. I like it a lot, but it's not the best for txting, in my opinion.
Old 01-10-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Verizon 4s. The phone is great but the 3G service is very slow. I typically get .5mb down and maybe 1mb up speeds. I really was hoping for better when I switched from Tmo. Other than that the phone works as advertised and the call quality/service is very good.
Old 01-10-12, 10:14 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an iPhone from work, and for my personal phone I just recently got a Galaxy Nexus.

An iPhone would be a safe choice, but I wanted something different. This was my first Android phone, and I couldn't be more pleased. It's fast, and has a beautiful, bigger screen. The size difference is small, but I think it makes it much easier and faster to type.

If you look for discounts, you might be able to find a Nexus for close to the price of a iPhone 4S. Verizon is currently offering a double-the-data promotion (for example 4 GB/month for the price of 2 GB) if you buy a 4G phone. The Nexus qualifies, but the iPhone does not. That is worth about $15/month if you use it, and it more than makes up for the higher initial price. The promo runs until 1/15, so you have to move fast if interested.
Old 01-10-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recently moved from a Windows Phone to a 4S (along with an iPad 2), and I couldn't be happier. The OS is incredibly smooth, the battery life - after a bit of tweaking in settings - is superb (I get at least two full days out of a single charge), and the app selection is amazing.

Oh, and the camera is a dream come true for me, too.

I wholeheartedly recommend the 4S.
Old 01-11-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

get the 4S, it will replace your iPod nicely and you can do all the other stuff as well (txting, email)
Old 01-11-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get the 4S and sell the iPod to a friend or family member.
Old 01-11-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I have a Verizon 4s. The phone is great but the 3G service is very slow. I typically get .5mb down and maybe 1mb up speeds. I really was hoping for better when I switched from Tmo. Other than that the phone works as advertised and the call quality/service is very good.
Yeah I was quite disappointed with this after switching from ATT... Sure I get 3G in more areas, but its definitely not as fast, and not being able to do voice and data at the same time is still a bit of a pain. Hopefully the iPhone 5 will be 4G . But I dont think you will go wrong with a 4S, or even the Nexus which I have to admit Im oddly fascinated by.
Old 01-11-12, 03:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i just transitioned from Droid 2 to 4S and thought i would miss things like LED alerts and some other things, but i don't at all.

4S is just better and more intuitive especially when it comes to texting and typing in general with auto-correcting.

love just about everything about it. will never get boring.
Old 01-11-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Yeah I was quite disappointed with this after switching from ATT... Sure I get 3G in more areas, but its definitely not as fast, and not being able to do voice and data at the same time is still a bit of a pain. Hopefully the iPhone 5 will be 4G . But I dont think you will go wrong with a 4S, or even the Nexus which I have to admit Im oddly fascinated by.
If you want voice and data on Verizon simultaneously, you have to get a 4GLTE phone which will give voice and data simultaneously while connected to 4GLTE. If you are in a 3G area and need voice and data simultaneously, then as of this time, you can either get the HTC Thunderbolt or HTC Rezound, which is capable of voice and data simultaneously over 3G and 4GLTE.

Verizon 3G speeds, are, imo, not impressive. I usually get 200-500k download speeds in populated areas.

I got the HTC Rezound for $50 on upgrade on bf, and my wife has a 4S. Both are great phones. The Rezound being 4G is way faster downloading or loading websites. But if you have an ipod now and like something similar, then the 4S would be a great choice. If you want to save some $$$, the 4 is $100, and for texting, e-mail and internet, there isn't really much difference. The bigger screen on the Rezound or the gn is much easier to see. The camera on the 4S is better, and you do get more memory on the base model. The only downside of the gn, from what I have read, is that a number of people have signal issues, not sure if it has been addressed yet though, as I don't follow it too closely.

To me, iOS is so restricting, android allows a lot more customizations like widgets, and placement of icons. iOS only has 1 physical button, which annoys me whenever i use my wife's 4S. I have gotten used to using the home, menu, and back buttons.

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
i just transitioned from Droid 2 to 4S and thought i would miss things like LED alerts and some other things, but i don't at all.

4S is just better and more intuitive especially when it comes to texting and typing in general with auto-correcting.

love just about everything about it. will never get boring.
i prefer the text predictions using Swiftkey X over the 4S keyboard.

Edit: both gn and 4S are limited to onboard memory. Most androids can change the micro sd card, and i know some can accept 64gb sd cards, or you can get 2 32gb sd cards and swap, especially if the phone has an internal and external sd card

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 01-11-12 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're already an iPod/iPad user it's a no brainer the 4S is great. Coming from an iPhone 4 (which I already have), it's not a big upgrade but if you have never had an iPhone 4 you will love it.
Old 01-12-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had the iPhone 4s until I returned it. I have the galaxy nexus now.

To be fair, it wasn't really the phone itself. It's a pain in the ass having to use iTunes. On my old windows mobile phone, I just used windows explorer to drag and drop files. Being tethered to one computer is a total pain. And let me tell you, if that computer crashes or some other error occurs, you're fucked. Itunes is the most obtuse program designed. It's not even necessary as a file manager; launcher and windows explorer do just fine.

And you might think that essentially sine you're carrying around a portable flash drive in your pocket, they'd let you use it as a portable flash drive, but they don't.

In short, if you ever plan on doing anything even moderately useful or productive with your phone, don't get the iPhone.
Old 01-12-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He's also already got an Android Phone, so just because he has an iPod doesn't make it a no brainer for those of you that keep bringing it up.
Old 01-12-12, 10:27 AM

You are no longer tethered to a computer with the iPhone as of iOS 5.
Old 01-12-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're going to get a smartphone, get something that is 4G.
Old 01-12-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
If you're going to get a smartphone, get something that is 4G.
if you are on unlimited data, Verizon will network optimize you if you use a lot of data on 3G devices. 4GLTE devices are not network optimized at this time.
Old 01-12-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
In short, if you ever plan on doing anything even moderately useful or productive with your phone, don't get the iPhone.
You mean the myriad of ways I use my iPhone on a daily basis for both work and personal time means I'm not doing anything useful or productive?

Good to know!
Old 01-12-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, and it was a pain in the ass syncing contacts, my calendar, and e-mail. Not being able to sync with more than one computer and having to sync at all just to share files was what killed it for me.

Face it, everyone just has Apple's cock in their mouth. There are no flaws with the iPhone and iOS that aren't shared with Windows Mobile 7, but I don't see glowing reviews and defense of all the flaws of WM7.

Last edited by Superboy; 01-12-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You are no longer tethered to a computer with the iPhone as of iOS 5.
It's possible to circumvent having to physically sync your iPhone with your PC, but you STILL have to use iTunes.
Old 01-12-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, and it was a pain in the ass syncing contacts, my calendar, and e-mail. Not being able to sync with more than one computer and having to sync at all just to share files was what killed it for me.

Face it, everyone just has Apple's cock in their mouth. There are no flaws with the iPhone and iOS that aren't shared with Windows Mobile 7, but I don't see glowing reviews and defense of all the flaws of WM7.
If I might suggest something, just avoid clicking on this thread. Your irrational hatred for iPhone and all things Apple makes it impossible for you to communicate coherently, just as it made it impossible for you to perform such a simple task as syncing contacts, calendar, and email (a task that took me less than 5 minutes to set up when I got my phone - and I have 3 email accounts, 5 calendars, and two contact lists syncing).
Old 01-12-12, 02:41 PM
Admin-Thanos

I had an iPhone 3 and recently moved to the iPhone 4S. I'm generally not an Apple guy, but I was comfortable with the iOS format and it was easy to bring everything over from one phone to the other for me, so I stuck with iPhone. My Dad has an Android phone and honestly if I were just starting out with smartphones, I'd have no problem using an Android device. The camera seems better on the iPhone4S, but since photos weren't an issue I think you'd be fine with an Android device. If you like a larger screen, go with an Android device. I didn't feel like I needed a larger screen because some of those phones are a little bulky feeling in my hand. Watch out for battery life with 4GLTE though, I heard it really drains the battery. Good luck.
Old 01-12-12, 02:48 PM

It's possible to circumvent having to physically sync your iPhone with your PC, but you STILL have to use iTunes.
You do? I think I've connected my phone to iTunes once since getting my 4S on launch day.
Old 01-12-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had the iPhone 4s until I returned it. I have the galaxy nexus now.

To be fair, it wasn't really the phone itself. It's a pain in the ass having to use iTunes. On my old windows mobile phone, I just used windows explorer to drag and drop files. Being tethered to one computer is a total pain. And let me tell you, if that computer crashes or some other error occurs, you're fucked. Itunes is the most obtuse program designed. It's not even necessary as a file manager; launcher and windows explorer do just fine.

And you might think that essentially sine you're carrying around a portable flash drive in your pocket, they'd let you use it as a portable flash drive, but they don't.

With iCloud this really is no longer an issue.

And we are getting very, VERY close to no longer needing iTunes. At least after initial set up. Since moving to iOS5 at launch, I can probably count the number of time on one hand I've sync'd with iTunes even wirelessly.

I use the iPhone a ton. All day. And for what I consider productive reasons (I only have about 7 games on it. Mainly for when stuck in the airport or to keep the kid next to me on an airplane who won't sit still occupied).

-I use it as an alarm clock both on it's own and in my travel clock radio/charger
-I ditched my big iPod but still have an older Nano for when it rains (see below)
-I strap mine to my arm and run with it. Using Nike+ GPS it tracks for me both inside and out. Than can upload results to FB for motivation
-When I run outside I also use it, but if raining, I'll use my little nano instead
-I track what food I eat on a fitness program.
-The fitness program I use also track my blood pressure (after losing a lot of weight I no longer need BP med's)
-I use a weight lifting program to help me find a good routine and change things up now and again.
-I travel a ton, so I use the various "find it" apps to well...find things (restaurants, bars, fun things to do).
-I use the TomTom app and don't have a need to carry a separate GPS. I carry a cheap $10, a/c vent mount for the rental car. Works great.
-I use a taxi finder app, to call a taxi when I've had a few to many.
-I use it to bank on line, take pic's of the few written checks I get to deposit
-I use groupon regularly
-I scan bar codes at the store to see if something is a good deal
-I use it to track by blu-ray movie collection (it bar scans) so I don't double buy
-I watch movies on it on the plane
-I have printed very nice cropped 5X7 and 8X10 photos taken with it to frame and hang in my bar
-I recently started a shared calendar with my wife that works fantastic and is super easy (even my wife can do it )
-I use it an electronic photo album. Putting on even photos taken with my "good" camera so that I can show people or email, post to FB, whatever.

And that's just the things I can think of off the top of my head. I've sure you can do all these things with a droid. I have no doubt. But to say an iPhone can't do productive things is silliness.

And truth be told, iTunes isn't my favorite program either. But I no longer have the desire to keep 20,000 songs and 100's movies on my computer. I have about 1,000 songs and rotate around a dozen movies or so.

I still have a poor old iPhone 4. I should be due for an upgrade for a 5. Which I'm pretty sure I will get. Maybe. I wouldn't mind a tad bigger screen (if they can keep the phone itself the same size), better camera (tho I'm very happy with current one) Siri and a little faster. Memory to me is no longer an issue (use to be a big one for me) with iCloud.
Old 01-12-12, 03:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

^ way off topic, but always curious, but how does the taking a pic of a check to deposit work (always see the Chase commercials and wondered)?

what do you have to do with check after pics?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.