Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Which DSLR should I get?

Old 01-04-12, 10:32 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which DSLR should I get?

I am about to bash my head against the wall trying to decide on a DSLR camera. I am a moron when it comes to these things, but I need one to get some good quick photos of our 11 month old. Our point and shoot camera is way too slow and we have missed out on alot of good shots. We want will to spend up to 1000 bucks on one. These 3 Camera are what I am deciding between -- help me pick one:

Nikon D5100
Canon Rebel T3i
Sony A55

They all have their pluses and minuses from what I can tell with my limited camera knowledge. The sony has me worried since it has an electronic view finder which i have read adds some lag. However, the sony is supposed to have the fastest FPS. Help me out please.
Old 01-04-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Which DSLR should I get?

I've owned both Canon and Nikon DSLR's and I prefer Canon. It's really going to come down to personal preference; all three are excellent products that will do you well. I feel that Canon has the best options in terms of available lenses and they're easier to find on the used market. I doubt you would see any noticeable difference in the picture output of those models. I agree with you about the Sony though; if it has an electronic viewfinder, it would drop off my list.
Old 01-04-12, 05:06 PM

My sister picked up the Canon T2i for pictures of the kids. After seeing the results from the last year and a half, I picked up the T3i. Awesome camera, no complaints. I've already got shots with it that I could never get with my older Canon camera.
Old 01-04-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of those choices, I would wholeheartedly recommend the T3i. But then, I am a shameless, self-acknowledged Canon fanboy.
Old 01-04-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Canon Guy here so, my vote is for the Canon, but Nikon makes nicer bodies. But it's all about the lenses.

I would say: If you are gonna just get a kit and not buy anything else? Nikon (or Canon, which ever feels nicer to you, in your hands). If you want to add more lenses and this might be a hobby down the road, Canon.
Old 01-04-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't over think this. Any of those will be over kill for what you are doing.

Pick the one that feels best in your hand, works best when you look through the viewfinder with the controls.
Old 01-04-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would suggest going with the Canon. I like Nikon and have owned a few of them since back in the 90's.

But now? Canon just seems to have it down.
Old 01-05-12, 07:48 AM
wlj

thanks for the input fellas.
Old 01-05-12, 08:25 AM
wlj

Alright I think I have decided on the Canon t3i. now please help with what extra lens i should get. here is the link on amazon and the options it gives me near the top of the page. thank you so much

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Digital-Imaging-18-55mm/dp/B004J3V90Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325773335&sr=8-1
Old 01-05-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It all depends on what you want to be able to do. Do you think you'll need a long telephoto/zoom lens? If so, then the 55-250 kit lens isn't a bad deal, but it obviously won't have the same quality glass as an L-series lens.

On the other hand, if you don't need a long zoom, I would look at either the Canon 18-135 or 28-135 IS zoom lenses. To be fair, I haven't used the 18-135, so I don't know a lot about it, but I do own the 28-135, and that lens spends more time on my camera than any other that I own. It is my favorite walkabout lens by far.
Old 01-05-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would wait on extra lenses. Use the camera for a little while and see what it is "missing".

I have 3 lenses. (well four if you count the kit lens, but I never use that)

17-55mm 2.8 IS
50mm 1.4
70-200mm 2.8 IS

99.99% of the time, I use the 17-55mm. Great for travel, portraits, etc...

good place to get feedback on lenses, (they have example threads for every lens possible)
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
Old 01-05-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another great site (and a staple for photographers) is http://www.dpreview.com/
Old 01-05-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More reviews of cameras and lenses here than you can shake a stick at ...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
Old 01-05-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He wants to take photos of his baby.

So I would say try the 18-55 first, that should be fine for taking a lot of pictures of your baby, and then maybe you can get a 50 mm one for portraits.
Old 01-05-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dslr cameras seem like overkill for all but professionals. Use the money on a trip to Disney world when the kid gets old enough and take some decent pics with your point and shoot.
Old 01-05-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How can it be overkill when a P&S is slow as hell. Try photographing kids. It's a challenge with the constant movements. Not only the speed advantage from DSLR but the butter smooth images too. Also, with the narrower DOF, especially for people pics, it give the pictures a better sense of creativity by isolating or blurring the background.
Old 01-06-12, 08:06 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Dslr cameras seem like overkill for all but professionals. Use the money on a trip to Disney world when the kid gets old enough and take some decent pics with your point and shoot.

Point and shoot cameras suck for taking pics of children. Mine aren't the cheapo's either-- they were 300 bucks each. Slow as molasses. DSLRs are a very good investment when you have kids. Hell, even if you don't have kids and want to take good quality photos
Old 01-06-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use a professional SLR (like... with film) and my girlfriend has an Olympus PL-1 4/3 Micro SLR. I LOVE IT. It's got all the great manual features you'd want as a professional, interchangeable lenses, and is small enough to bring almost anywhere.

Bringing the SLR takes planning, an entire bag, and is a hassle to lug around... and are expensive. If you don't know what the heck you're doing... a 4/3 SLR is the best of both worlds.

Bottom line... unless you want to make pictures a hobby or try to get into a magazine, you're going to find yourself with a very expensive shelf piece if you go straight to a full SLR, especially if you can't tell me what an fstop, shutter speed, and aperture are RIGHT NOW. GO!

The new Olympus 4/3 actually has the fastest shutter speed in the industry right now too, iirc. Olympus can use Panasonic 4/3 lenses as well... but you can't do it the other way around, iirc.
Old 01-06-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj View Post
Point and shoot cameras suck for taking pics of children.
That is because so few people actually know how to use them properly. Depressing the shutter button halfway allows the camera to focus and track, then final push is very quick.

Too many people want to mash buttons without understanding what the camera is doing so they miss a shot while the camera is focusing.
Old 01-06-12, 08:47 AM
wlj

[temper tantrum]My wife and I aren't poor, I want an expensive camera so let me buy one! [/temper tantrum]

Old 01-06-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe you should consider a Red Epic mister money bags.
Old 01-06-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Been a Canon user for a long time...currently shoot with a 5DII and a 1DMKiV and to be honest I am getting tired of lugging all the crap around to something other than serious landscape or paid gigs. I had a chance to use a few different 4/3 cameras recently and I really liked them. They take really nice photos for everyday use and have a lot of options.
Old 01-06-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah i have my eye on another micro 4/3 - sony nex7.
its really expensive, so i'm also considering the sony nex 5N.
They are small,light, pretty fast and have sensors the same size as DSLR.
Old 01-06-12, 12:11 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Maybe you should consider a Red Epic mister money bags.

nope, not mister money bags -- we just have enough disposable income to get a nice camera right now.
Old 01-07-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use a DSLR and Sony HX9V that takes great P&S pics, 16x zoom and killer 1080p60 video. Both have a place and serve a specific purpose.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.