Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

3d Player won't read 3D discs

Old 01-02-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3d Player won't read 3D discs

I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT100 Blu-ray Disc player (connected by HDMI to a Panasonic 3D Plasma tv). The blu-ray player plays all kinds of 2D dvd's but will not recognize the two 3D Blu-ray Avatar discs. I get the message "cannot read disc". "check disc".

I have two of these Avatar discs, one came with the glasses and another free with the tv. Same message. I have no other 3D discs to try.

Suggestions?
Old 01-02-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 3d Player won't read 3D discs

Take the discs to the store where you bought he player and see if they play on another player. If they do, return the player as defective and get a new one.
Old 01-02-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try upgrading firmware.
Old 01-02-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Take the discs to the store where you bought he player and see if they play on another player. If they do, return the player as defective and get a new one.
Bought it online but I might take the discs to BB next time I stop there. Thanks

Originally Posted by palebluedot View Post
Try upgrading firmware.
Upgraded the firmware, no luck
Old 01-22-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to update this thread. Panasonic was of absolutely no help with this issue. Each time I called they read from the same copy book. They promised to up upgrade my complaints. They did not and no one called back. I have bought this from Amazon months ago and it was they who gave me the Panasonic contact information. Contacted Amazon again. They told me to send it in, sent me a UPS shipping label and said they will give me a full refund. I have since bought another player from Amazon and the 3D works great.

Kudos to Amazon for excellent service! Not so much to Panasonic!
Old 01-26-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes Amazon has great support. I bought my wife a pair of noise cancelling headphones before her trip to Japan...she was there for almost 2 months. When she came back she said the headphones had a scratchy sound the whole time...I contacted Amazon and they happily sent me a new pair of headphones and a free return label over 60 days after purchase. That's great support in my opinion.
Old 01-26-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I probably should have tried the 3D as soon as I bought the player but didn't. Still, dealing with Panasonic wasted many hours.

Rarely now do I even consider sites like Fleabay anymore for items I am looking for if I can get a product on Amazon, even if it's higher. I realize there is a drastic difference between auction and amazon but I got tired of dishonest sellers and ebay/paypal policies. For selling, I'll use Craigslist. Smaller market but I have cash in hand.