Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone using Airplay with iPad & AppleTV?

Old 12-31-11, 05:47 AM

Anyone using Airplay with iPad & AppleTV?

I've got an iPad 2 and I'm thinking of buying an AppleTV to stream videos to my TV using the Airplay feature. I already have a Roku, PS3 and 360 with lots of streaming options. So this iPad-to-TV feature is really the only reason I would buy the AppleTV.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had some experience doing this and could give their impressions on how well it worked.

How is the video quality? Is there any stuttering or buffering?

Are they blocking Airplay from streaming some stuff? I thought I heard a rumor that HBOGo was blocked. Is that true? Anything else being blocked?

Is there anything else I should know before I buy the AppleTV?

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-31-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Anyone using Airplay with iPad & AppleTV?

Streaming works really well from the iPad2. It's easy to find YouTube videos on my iPad and send them over to the appletv. When I stream from my iPhone it doesn't work as well but it works. Netflix works great on the as a stand alone device. That's the main reason I got one. Plus it has YouTube native as well but it's not as easy to search for things. I haven't used a Roku but I'm sure it's a similar interface. For $99 it works well.
Old 01-01-12, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info edstein. I don't have an iPhone, so I'd just be streaming from the iPad.

Has anyone heard recent rumors on when the next AppleTV is coming out? The current one was released in Sept. 2010.
Old 01-01-12, 07:47 PM
Banned by request

Doesn't the Roku stream most of the stuff you'd want to stream from your iPad, anyway?
Old 01-01-12, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Doesn't the Roku stream most of the stuff you'd want to stream from your iPad, anyway?
Yeah, the Roku handles almost everything. It's a really great device.

My primary interest is the iPad's app for The Anime Channel. They have a lot of anime series that are on my want list. But at $20-$40 per DVD set, it would be cheaper to buy the AppleTV and stream them.

Roku is also missing YouTube. There are some 3rd party apps that'll play YouTube videos, but they don't work well. There's a couple video blogs I like to watch, and it'd be nice to have Apple's YouTube app.