Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

touch screen/web design help, please.

Old 12-28-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

touch screen/web design help, please.

My real estate office has a board where we have copies of our listings. It looks like poo and is tough to keep updated and organized. I want to use something like 2 or 3 23" touch screens on that wall that will go through the wall to a computer. I've looked at touch screen software for kiosks, etc. but just the software seems to start at around $5,000. My next thought was to have an alternate page for my web site made that would be optimized for a touch screen search. Something like just a few buttons for "homes" or "land" and menu buttons and the like. Then, people could actually browse them at the board themselves. Ideally, this would all be downloaded daily to the computer so that I could have it all offline rather than having people wait on the speed of the internet.

Anyone have experience in that kind of thing, and does that all sound like something that can reasonably work? What types of systems are suggested, etc.
Old 12-29-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: touch screen/web design help, please.

No one? I thought we were the smartest people on the planet.
Old 12-29-11, 01:53 PM

I recently looked at a system for that, it appears that a complete turnkey package will be my best solution. I talked with someone about leasing the whole real estate window display system, there are a few options that were a little more cost effective. I looked into doing my own and it would cost upwards of 20K, Plus any updates etc. Cost vs. reach it will be best not to mess with it. Hope this helps some?
Old 12-29-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You could change your site to use a framework like Wordpress and then use a touch optimized theme for it. I did this for one of my customers and it works very well. Blog postings, menus, photos, etc...all touch optimized.
Old 12-29-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by palebluedot View Post
You could change your site to use a framework like Wordpress and then use a touch optimized theme for it. I did this for one of my customers and it works very well. Blog postings, menus, photos, etc...all touch optimized.
I wish I knew what that meant.

Sounds like the way to go may be to first buy a touch screen computer system, and then work with the web designers until I end up with something I like.
Old 12-29-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by skabel View Post
I recently looked at a system for that, it appears that a complete turnkey package will be my best solution. I talked with someone about leasing the whole real estate window display system, there are a few options that were a little more cost effective. I looked into doing my own and it would cost upwards of 20K, Plus any updates etc. Cost vs. reach it will be best not to mess with it. Hope this helps some?
I've looked at some of those, and they aren't really what I want. I don't want a window display unit. I want something more like a customer computer they can use when they come into the office, but I don't want them to sit down while browsing the listings, and I need it simple for all the old folks.