Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

help with port forwarding

Old 12-27-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

help with port forwarding

I've been to the "planet replay" forum but the help there is very sporadic. By that, I mean users don't reply for days at a time.

If anyone here has any knowledge on this, I would appreciate your help immensely.

I have three ReplayTV (DVR) devices, a laptop running a program called "WiRNS" that the RTVs must communicate with to connect to the internet to get program guide updates. I have Verizon FiOS, using their "Actiontec" router. I can do program guide updates no problem, but is the sending and receiving of shows that doesn't go through. (RTVs can send and receive shows from other users that have RTVs)

I've tried my best to go into their settings and set up port forwarding for each of the devices but it doesn't work. I've googled the router's name and visited the manufacturer's website for help. When I do an online port check, it says the ports are still blocked.

Please please please, anybody with some expertise please help.
Old 12-27-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: help with port forwarding

http://portforward.com/english/route...outerindex.htm

There are 20 Actiontec routers listed. Find yours.
Old 12-27-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Do that.
Old 12-27-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks guys for the link. I actually already did exactly as you suggested. After you click on the specific model (MI424-WR), it even goes so far as to list a bunch of devices you may want to do port forwarding for. The problem is that the device "Replay TV" is not listed, so I followed the generic directions they list. That didn't work.

I think because I am going through my laptop running WiRNS, there's something that's not as straight forward. I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to figure out what that is.
Old 12-27-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will probably get more specific help in the thread you created on Planet Replay about this.

As to what to forward, you will have to set the port on your Replay TV yourself when setting it up, that's the port number you want to forward, the one you chose yourself. You will also need the IP address of the Replay TV, which appeared when you were setting up your device and choosing a port number.

Just like the people on Planet Replay have already told you in that thread...
Old 12-28-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by runner001 View Post

I think because I am going through my laptop running WiRNS, there's something that's not as straight forward. I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to figure out what that is.
and you should also make sure your laptop firewall isn't blocking the WiRNS access The router is not the only configuration issue in your setup...
Old 12-29-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure my firewall isn't blocking WiRNS accessing the internet because I use it daily to get program guide updates.
Old 12-29-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mis-read your OP, I thought you could not get the guide data from the laptop to the RTVs

I see now that you can't share shows 'over the net' with other replay devices.

It looks like you can choose WiRNS to manage the show share feature or do it directly on the RTV device itself.

It looks like you want to perform the show share feature directly on the RTV device and not use WiRNS for that function.

This would be accurate if you provide your data, but in general here is what you do.

Set your RTV device with a PORT number to use for this service (don't pick a port commonly used for other things) so maybe port 4321

http://www.stengel.net/tcpports.htm

It is set under the "Internet Identity and Address Book" settings under "Setup" {post a screen shot of this so we can see what you did}

Once that is done, program your router with the same exact info - I think I understand that this is where you are having the problem

You would need to post up a a couple screen shots of the config screens on your specific router.

I see you say this in the other thread

When I go into the configurations for port forwarding in the router, I select the host as the RTV, I specify the source and destination as the same port number, I select protocol as "both", connection type as "all devices", and schedule as "always". The port number is the same as the one I entered into WiRNS for each RTV.
post up a screen shot of the above from your router

did you make 100% sure to save the config? and then did you reboot the router? (some require this)
Old 01-01-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks 4KRG for your reply. I decided to just go back to connecting without using WiRNS at all. I think its working. the program guide was able to update but I'm not sure about the sharing of shows yet. (I asked a fellow user on poopli to help me test sending him a show, haven't heard back yet).

Again, thanks!