Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

System requirements for Battlefield 3/Need for Speed Run?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-20-11, 10:39 AM

I've downloaded both the games but haven't installed them, I checked my hardware with "systemrequirementslab" and it concluded that my hardware doesn't meet the minimum requirements to install/run the games, I think I've the minimum required hardware on paper so I'm confused.
Need for speed the run requires 3 GB RAM which I have but "systemrequirementslab" concluded that I've 2.8 GB so the game can't be installed.
As for Battlefield 3 my video card isn't compatible. It requires Shader version 4.0 and above though I've 4.0 but different graphic card that also has 1GB memory so I meet the requirements but I'm confused what to do:unsure:

Here's my hardware configuration-
Product Name dv6-3217tu
Product Number LQ916PA
Microprocessor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i3-370M Processor
Microprocessor Cache 3 MB L3 cache
Memory 3 GB DDR3 (1 x 1024 MB, 1 x 2048 MB)
Memory Max Supports up to 8 GB DDR3 memory
Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics
Display 15.6" High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display (1366 x 768)
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive SATA optical drive: LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth wireless networking

802.11 b/g/n
Sound Altec Lansing speakers - Dolby Advanced Audio
Here's the result of "systemrequirementslab" with Battlefield 3-

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 12-21-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: System requirements for Battlefield 3/Need for Speed Run?

Originally Posted by ceo54 View Post
Need for speed the run requires 3 GB RAM which I have but "systemrequirementslab" concluded that I've 2.8 GB so the game can't be installed.
The hardware configuration lists your Video Graphics as "Intel HD Graphics," which is the intergrated video adapter on your motherboard. These often will "share" the system RAM, meaning the missing 0.2GB is likely being used by the video adapter. If you got a standalone video card, it should include its own memory, freeing up that 0.2GB for your system.

As for Battlefield 3 my video card isn't compatible. It requires Shader version 4.0 and above though I've 4.0 but different graphic card that also has 1GB memory so I meet the requirements but I'm confused what to do:unsure:
The above sentence is unclear, but it sounds like you have a video card with Shader Model 4.0 and 1GB RAM. However, the hardware configuration you listed didn't show it. Is this video card installed? What's the brand/model of it?
Old 12-21-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you're trying to play BF3 with Intel Graphics?

good thing i finished my coffee

since you have a laptop you will need to buy one with a GPU. the 15" MacBook Pro, dell XPS or another HP model. i would check out the dell outlet

Last edited by al_bundy; 12-21-11 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-21-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post

The above sentence is unclear, but it sounds like you have a video card with Shader Model 4.0 and 1GB RAM. However, the hardware configuration you listed didn't show it. Is this video card installed? What's the brand/model of it?
He has a laptop. The Intel HD graphics on the chip supports Shader Model 4.0 and it sounds like it can use up to 1 GB of shared memory, I assume.
Old 12-21-11, 12:05 PM

I don't see BF3 running very well on that machine at all. It's very demanding.
Old 12-21-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
He has a laptop. The Intel HD graphics on the chip supports Shader Model 4.0 and it sounds like it can use up to 1 GB of shared memory, I assume.
D'oh, should've checked the model. Yeah, the only solution then would be to upgrade the RAM in it, likely by replacing the 1GB module with at least a 2GB module.

Edit: At least, that should fix the issue with Need for Speed Run. For Battlefield 3, the minimum requirements are for a Nvidia or AMD/ATI video card.

http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-21-11 at 12:27 PM.