Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Iphone or Ipad - Help Me Decide

Old 12-08-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Iphone or Ipad - Help Me Decide

Hey guys,

I have until Friday to decide whether to return my Iphone for a full refund and get an Ipad instead, or keep the phone. My GF bought me the Iphone 4 (8 gig model) for Christmas. I love the phone, but feel uneasy about the extra cost. I got the phone on Black Friday, and next week, Verizon will already be sending me a lovely bill for $220 bucks!

My current phone setup before Iphone was:

Virgin Mobile prepaid Optimus V phone - $45 a month unlimited data, 1200 minutes
Vonage - $17 a month with unlimited talk.

Now with Verizon Iphone, I am paying this:

$118 a month for 450 minutes, lousy 2 gig data limit
Vonage - $17 a month with unlimited talk.

That’s like a lot of extra cheddar per month plus less data just to have a quality phone. Optimus V is an ok Android phone, but the screen is tiny at 3”, and 3G speeds really slow. My biggest beef is the internal space is pathetic, only like 170 mbs. Not much room for apps, and I really want lots of apps. I really like the Iphone, but there are some factors that don’t please me. My Iphone only gives me 6 gigs out of the box. Just not much room especially if I want to download games. The battery life isn’t much better than my VM phone, and I hate being restricted to 2 gigs of data. I can forget about watching videos on this damn thing. The web surfing still feels very cramped.

I discovered yesterday that I can turn my VM phone into a wifi hotspot which got me to thinking about ditching Vonage, keeping VM and Iphone, and doing the wifi if I need more data. I could drop to VM $30 plan and still have unlimited data. But now I think I would save a lot more money and be much happier with an Ipad. Ditch Iphone, keep VM phone, and use the wifi option or their mifi device. 50 bucks for unlimited data! My GF even offered to let me return the phone and use the 100 bucks towards an Ipad.

There is one more unknown factor. The only way I was able to get a Verizon account was to sub-account on hers. My credit score is still awful (597) and I can’t approved for shit. It would be worth keeping the account and paying the 2 year contract if it affected my credit and allowed me to finally get an account of mine own after two years. Would Verizon do this? I suspect they would say well , sub-account doesn’t prove you can pay on your own. Yea FU Verizon.

Another thing is I really like Iphone’s camera and camcorder. Next year, I want to start recording videos of my guitar playing and upload to youtube. Would I be sacrificing this ability if I went with Ipad?

Basically my desire is to always have access to the internet with unlimited data, and not spend a fortune for it.
Old 12-08-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Iphone or Ipad - Help Me Decide

I have a VirginMobile LG Optimus V (grandfathered into the $25/mo plan). I could not justify the cost of an iPhone 4. I opted instead to get an iPhone 4 32GB w/bad ESN to use as an iPod Touch. (on ebay, mint condition, $210, no contract)

I use my VM phone as a WiFi hotspot and full GPS, both feature are additional costs on an iPhone. I then tether my iPad2 and Kindle Fire to it. 3G speed has been excellent and oftentimes better than the free wifi in hotels. I was amazed that I was able to easily stream netflix to my iPad via that hotspot.

Since I have Skype-In/Skype-Out service as a "home phone" ($60 a year unlimited local and long distance), I can use that iPhone 4 as a full phone, and am seriously considering relegating my LG Opt V to be nothing more than a glorified MyFi hotspot.

I would recommend returning the iPhone and getting an iPad (or getting an iPhone 4 to use as an iPod Touch - the camera on the iPhone 4 is terrific).
Old 12-08-11, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I have a VirginMobile LG Optimus V (grandfathered into the $25/mo plan). I could not justify the cost of an iPhone 4. I opted instead to get an iPhone 4 32GB w/bad ESN to use as an iPod Touch. (on ebay, mint condition, $210, no contract)

I use my VM phone as a WiFi hotspot and full GPS, both feature are additional costs on an iPhone. I then tether my iPad2 and Kindle Fire to it. 3G speed has been excellent and oftentimes better than the free wifi in hotels. I was amazed that I was able to easily stream netflix to my iPad via that hotspot.

Since I have Skype-In/Skype-Out service as a "home phone" ($60 a year unlimited local and long distance), I can use that iPhone 4 as a full phone, and am seriously considering relegating my LG Opt V to be nothing more than a glorified MyFi hotspot.

I would recommend returning the iPhone and getting an iPad (or getting an iPhone 4 to use as an iPod Touch - the camera on the iPhone 4 is terrific).
Oh that's sweet! My only concern is doing the wifi hotspot with VM violates their TOS. But what's the worst they could do if you are a data hog? I'm sure many people out there are taking advantage of this ability.
Old 12-08-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Oh that's sweet! My only concern is doing the wifi hotspot with VM violates their TOS. But what's the worst they could do if you are a data hog? I'm sure many people out there are taking advantage of this ability.
My WiFi hotspot usage is minimal.... only in those times when there are no other options. Even if they were to stop using the service as a WiFi hotspot, the other features of the phone are worth keeping the service at those prices. With the money that I'm saving I can buy other gadgets like the iPad or a bad ESN iPhone 4.
Old 12-08-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mention that you're on a sub-account of your GF's Verzion plan. Is the $118 what it cost to add your line to her service, or are you splitting the bill with her?

Did you look into upgrading your VM phone to the Motorola Triumph? Bigger screen, more app storage, 720p video recording, although you may have to pay a bit more per month for service.
http://www.caryontech.com/2011/07/mo...age-space.html
Old 12-08-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what it's worth, the cameras on the iPhone 4 are much better than the cameras on the iPad 2.
Old 12-08-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wtf are you paying $118 a month for?
Old 12-08-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can try to add mhs, some have reported that adding 2gb mhs on iphone gives unlimited data. On a 4GLTE smartphone, adding unlimited MHS will give you unlimited data, even if you don't have it now. I was able to get the latest Verizon 4GLTE high definition smartphone for $50, that deal is gone now though.
Old 12-08-11, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Wtf are you paying $118 a month for?
Well it breaks down something like this:

voice - 39.99
unlimited txt - 20.00
data - 30.00
insurance - 10.00

The rest is taxes and fees. Shit adds up. Virgin Mobile doesn't charge you a dime extra.

Another interesting option is I could ditch the $20 unlimited text, go with Virgin Mobile's $30 plan with has unlimited text, and then I got my wifi hotspot too.

What are most people using to get data on the Ipad? I don't see how you can stream any videos with these ridiculous data caps. At 2 gigs a month, I am over the limit if the only thing I did was watch 15 minutes of video a day.
Old 12-08-11, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
You mention that you're on a sub-account of your GF's Verzion plan. Is the $118 what it cost to add your line to her service, or are you splitting the bill with her?

Did you look into upgrading your VM phone to the Motorola Triumph? Bigger screen, more app storage, 720p video recording, although you may have to pay a bit more per month for service.
http://www.caryontech.com/2011/07/mo...age-space.html
It's the cost to add the line to her service.
Old 12-08-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Family plan 550 I think is $60 for voice for 2 lines, you can add unlimited data for $30, use GV for text, grooveip for calls but for android, does iPhone have something similar? If not, obihai can be used, but you have to pay a one time fee for the device.
Old 12-08-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are most people using to get data on the Ipad?
Wifi. Most people just use it at home and connect it to their home internet service.
Old 12-08-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Wifi. Most people just use it at home and connect it to their home internet service.
Or you can use mhs, $30 more a month for unlimited MHS on 4GLTE smartphones, should the op decide to get one. Tablet plans are crazy, expensive.
Old 12-09-11, 07:50 AM

Took the Iphone back last night. So relieved. I just don't like feeling shackled to Verizon for 2 freaking years. Sucks that these greedy companies won't make Iphone available for no contract plans.
Old 12-09-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Took the Iphone back last night. So relieved. I just don't like feeling shackled to Verizon for 2 freaking years. Sucks that these greedy companies won't make Iphone available for no contract plans.
You can buy the phone at full retail if you want to do month to month, no contract required.
Old 12-09-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They do but they are not going to subsidize a non contract customer. An unlocked, contract free iPhone 4s starts at $649.00. That's the going price for most newly released top tier smartphones.
Old 12-09-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why not both?
like me
Old 12-09-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well it breaks down something like this:

voice - 39.99
unlimited txt - 20.00
data - 30.00
insurance - 10.00

The rest is taxes and fees. Shit adds up. Virgin Mobile doesn't charge you a dime extra.

Another interesting option is I could ditch the $20 unlimited text, go with Virgin Mobile's $30 plan with has unlimited text, and then I got my wifi hotspot too.

What are most people using to get data on the Ipad? I don't see how you can stream any videos with these ridiculous data caps. At 2 gigs a month, I am over the limit if the only thing I did was watch 15 minutes of video a day.
$10 for insurance? for an iphone 4? seriously?

ask your gf if she wants to take it to the next level and be on a family plan with you.

i pay $150 a month for a 4 line plan on AT&T. 2 iphones and 2 cave man phones. no texting since i only text my wife and that is free via apple. anything else i use google voice for texting
Old 12-09-11, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
why not both?
like me
Would be nice if I could afford it.
Old 12-09-11, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
You can buy the phone at full retail if you want to do month to month, no contract required.
I didn't know you could do that. Where would you buy it full retail though? Even on Apple's website, I'm directed to select a carrier.
Old 12-09-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Would be nice if I could afford it.
nice thing about iphones is they hold their value

i sold my HTC Inspire for $160 and paid $200 for the 4S. made it up on lack of texting plan in the first month

after 2 years the used price is a little more than $200 so ever new phone is essentially free. i rarely use my iphone 4S but since it's free might as well buy the latest tech

for the ipad if they have a 128GB model next year and i can get a good price on my 64GB then i'll probably buy the latest as well
Old 12-09-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't know you could do that. Where would you buy it full retail though? Even on Apple's website, I'm directed to select a carrier.
On Apple's site, when you get to the carrier selection, there's a link under the carrier logos that reads "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free." The unlocked one only works on GSM networks though, which is only AT&T in the US if you want 3G.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...phone/iphone4s
Old 12-09-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ and if you want Verizon for example, go to Verizon's website, select month to month, it will show the full retail price.
Old 12-09-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used tethering + my Optimus for my Nook Color with CM7. I've got a Toshiba Thrive as the end of November, so I can tether that now.

Keep in mind, the point of banning tethering is because of data hogs. Laptops and such will use a lot more data (faster web browsing, full websites,etc). Tethering to a tablet isn't really using much more data than you could do on the phone. Don't abuse it and you'll be fine.

My wife has the Triumph now, as does a coworker ($120 on Cyber Monday). She likes it a lot better than the Optimus. But there's no wi-fi tethering on it yet without installing a buggy version of CM7 on it.
Old 12-09-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
^ and if you want Verizon for example, go to Verizon's website, select month to month, it will show the full retail price.
I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to buy it no-contract on Sprint's website. However, You can buy the Sprint iPhone on Bestbuy.com without contract, no problem, but it's $50 more than Verizon's no-contract iPhone.

BTW, the Sprint no-contract iPhone 4S comes with the GSM unlocked, while the Verizon iPhone 4S can be GSM unlocked after 60 days. This means you can use them on AT&T or an overseas GSM carrier as well. The CDMA radio stays locked to the carrier you bought it from though, so you can't, say, switch from Verizon to Sprint.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/11/...after-60-days/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.