27.27%
KINDLE FIRE ($200)
72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

NOOK TABLET or KINDLE FIRE

Old 12-05-11, 03:35 PM
Banned

NOOK TABLET or KINDLE FIRE

Which is better the Nook Tablet ($250) or the Kindle Fire ($200)?
And why.
Old 12-05-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: NOOK TABLET or KINDLE FIRE

There are a million comparison reviews out there for these two, but I'll give my opinion, based on playing with demo units of both.

Assuming you just want to run stock software, the Kindle Fire is superior. Both tablets are designed to be media consumption tablets that keep you relatively walled into their services and Amazon's built-in services for music, video, and apps are all clearly superior (e-books are a toss-up probably).

However, if you're planning to root and run modded software, the Nook Tablet is probably the better choice, given that the hardware itself is slightly better.
Old 12-05-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perhaps you should do some footwork yourself and read the other threads on this topic before asking the community to reproduce itself.
Old 12-06-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just bought my sister-in-law a Nook Tablet for Christmas. I chose this tablet for a couple of reasons. Number one, since she is not real tech savy I wanted her to be able to go into a store for tech support. Second, this is a second gen device and as such should have most of the bugs worked out. Early reports of the Fire have mentioned a sluggish browser and Netflix issues. Third, the screens are the same but the Nook looks better, not just my opinion. Last, for $50 you get twice the built in memory. It's no iPad but it will do everything she wants. The amazon music and video stores are nice but its something she won't use. I bought a Nook Color for my mother-in-law a few months ago for mothers day and she really likes it.
Old 12-06-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Last, for $50 you get twice the built in memory.
To be fair though, the raw numbers there don't tell the whole story. The Nook Tablet only has 1GB of built-in storage available for user content. The remaining 15GB of the built-in storage is for the OS and for B&N-curated content only (at this point, I believe that would just be e-books and apps from the B&N app store). That's probably fine for someone like your sister-in-law who would just stick to the B&N ecosystem, but for someone wanting to load their own music or a video file or two for a flight, that could be a non-starter.

In comparison, the Kindle Fire has ~6.5GB (after considering the OS) of built-in storage that can be used for any content (Amazon or personal).
Old 12-06-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Given that you can buy an 8 GB SD card for $5, I think that's a non issue.

I'm a Kindle Fire owner, but I think the Nook Tablet is considerably better hardware for $50 more. Software wise, the Fire has an edge both with their Appstore and if you're a Prime user.
Old 12-06-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm aligned closer with the Amazon eco-system, so I'd get the Kindle, but aren't they basically the same thing, i.e. the anti-iPad?
Old 12-06-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I currently have a Kindle Fire and previously had an autonootered nook color. Out of the box the KF is superior for non-techies. It just works. If someone is able to upload a photo to a social network site, then they possess the technical skills needed to side-load apps and media that are not part of the Amazon ecosystem. That's another plus in the KF's favor.

The nook color was very nice after it was rooted but it didn't run as smooth or as seamlessly as a properly configured Android Tablet. I've tinkered with the nook tablet and it too suffers from the same issues.

I haven't found a firmware/configuration for either nook that runs as smooth as the KF does. Even the much heralded CM7 firmware does not run as well on the nook as the default OS runs on the KF.
Old 12-06-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Given that you can buy an 8 GB SD card for $5, I think that's a non issue.
Sure, but expandable local storage is a different value proposition and calls for different comparisons. Buying an 8GB SD card for $5 means you spent $55 for a max of 9GB for user-content storage. The Kindle Fire has 6.5GB on the device and another 5GB of free cloud storage, so for $55 less you get (potentially) a max of 11.5GB for user-content storage. Granted, the user-content you can upload to the cloud and actually do something with on the Fire is currently pretty limited (I think only music applies?).

All this just underscores my point which is that you can't simply look at the raw storage numbers and measure the relative value of the difference in cost. Given all the various limitation, it all depends entirely on how you want to use that storage.
Old 12-06-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Sure, but expandable local storage is a different value proposition and calls for different comparisons. Buying an 8GB SD card for $5 means you spent $55 for a max of 9GB for user-content storage. The Kindle Fire has 6.5GB on the device and another 5GB of free cloud storage, so for $55 less you get (potentially) a max of 11.5GB for user-content storage. Granted, the user-content you can upload to the cloud and actually do something with on the Fire is currently pretty limited (I think only music applies?).

All this just underscores my point which is that you can't simply look at the raw storage numbers and measure the relative value of the difference in cost. Given all the various limitation, it all depends entirely on how you want to use that storage.
The availability of an SD card should be in any conversation regarding the hardware differences between the two, so it's all part of the same conversation to me. Obviously that $50 price difference has other hardware differences, such as twice the RAM as well so no, we're not talking about spending $55 just for storage.

And yeah, user-content to the cloud is pretty limited. I tried a few movies and they won't show up from the Fire or even let you download it properly via the browser.

But I agree, it depends on what you want to do with each device, so one isn't directly better then the other.
Old 12-07-11, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Perhaps you should do some footwork yourself and read the other threads on this topic before asking the community to reproduce itself.
The same can be said for every topic in DVDTALK.
Old 12-07-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
The availability of an SD card should be in any conversation regarding the hardware differences between the two, so it's all part of the same conversation to me. Obviously that $50 price difference has other hardware differences, such as twice the RAM as well so no, we're not talking about spending $55 just for storage.
I don't disagree. However the original statement I was responding to was, "For $50 more you get twice the built-in storage." And I stand by the assertion that it's just not that simple (which is basically what you're saying as well, even if from another angle).
Old 12-07-11, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought a Nook Color last spring and upgraded to the Tablet about a week ago. Really like it.

I was going to sell my Nook Color to someone at work buy my Mother wanted it for X-mas so I erased it, re-registered it...bought her $60 worth of books and apps and gave it to her. She loves it so far.

I really like the tablet. Its quicker (processor) it seems and I like the memory upgrade. Haven't had a chance to watch much streaming video on it yet.

I really liked the idea of a store nearby with assistance if needed instead of having to call.

Just my thoughts...no specific experience with the Amazon stuff but when I bought the Nook...it was an easy choice from reviews and people I know who owned eReaders...all have the Nook.

Forgot to add...love the Wi-Fi..as I only use it at home. I have a laptop so I don't need it for major surfing but its nice to have it available and buying new books and stuff is a breeze.

And...I read at night...or in the dark as my room has dark shades so the Nook is awesome.

Last edited by FiveO; 12-07-11 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-07-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't disagree. However the original statement I was responding to was, "For $50 more you get twice the built-in storage." And I stand by the assertion that it's just not that simple (which is basically what you're saying as well, even if from another angle).
I think your assuming that the user space is more valuable than the B&N allocated space. I think most users won't download music or movies to this type of device but instead will fill it up with books and apps. That is what it is designed for. B&N is not in the music and movie business yet but I suspect if they do move in that directly a simple firmware upgrade would fix the storage allocation issues. 1 Gb is more than enough space for music for a weekend trip. And as mentioned above the $50 difference is more than just storage but RAM as well.
Old 12-07-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think your assuming that the user space is more valuable than the B&N allocated space. I think most users won't download music or movies to this type of device but instead will fill it up with books and apps. That is what it is designed for. B&N is not in the music and movie business yet but I suspect if they do move in that directly a simple firmware upgrade would fix the storage allocation issues. 1 Gb is more than enough space for music for a weekend trip. And as mentioned above the $50 difference is more than just storage but RAM as well.
Nah, I'm not assuming anything. I'm only saying you have to look at the details to make an informed decision, because the value of that storage difference depends entirely on how you want to use it, due to the limitations on both devices. I'm making no assessment on how "most people" would use the device. Every statement I've made in this discussion has been qualified accordingly.
Old 12-07-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fair enough. It was the in store support that was the deciding factor for me.
Old 12-07-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Save your pennies in a big jar and get an iPad.
Old 12-07-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For the price, honestly i'm much happier with a Kindle Fire + Netbook then a $500 tablet, but that's just me.
Old 12-08-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is definitely a significant advantage for B&N and that alone is probably worth the extra $50 to many people. You get a very functional device and local "Apple-store-level" customer care at half the cost of the iPad.
Old 12-08-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't pulled the trigger yet(wife wants to get it for me for 12/25), but the barely-functional Fire demo unit next to the fully functional Nook demo unit sealed my decision.
Old 12-08-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is definitely a significant advantage for B&N and that alone is probably worth the extra $50 to many people. You get a very functional device and local "Apple-store-level" customer care at half the cost of the iPad.
If people think that is worth an extra $50 or that the local B&N will provide "Apple-store-level" customer care then P.T. Barnum was indeed correct.
Old 12-08-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I have an ipad 2 but we went over this discussion a couple days ago on getting something for our oldest kid. If we went with the Nook, it would end up being rooted and adding on that maintenance that goes along with rooted devices.

I know the browser on the Fire is crap but we have a prime membership, so we get the streaming videos, already have some music on their cloud and I've been collecting all the daily free apps. That combined with it'll do more of what I want out of the box, we went with the Fire.

I didn't know about the tiny bit of storage left over on the Nook, which makes me glad I didn't go that way. Granted, I don't know 100% but if it's like my android phone, you'll have some apps now or in the future, that can't be copied over to the sd card. 1GB isn't a whole lot of space.

I agree with sracer, anyone thinking they're going to get apple store level customer service from B&N is only deluding themselves.

We actually originally planned on getting the Nook and bought a 16GB memory card to go along with it but now I'll just put it in my evo shift.

We bought the Fire from Staples and it only ran us $160. They have a promotion going on where if you buy a $50 gift card, you get an additional $10 card that activates in a month or so. So with the 4 gift cards to cover the Fire, we got an extra $40 in gift cards.
Old 12-08-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I should clarify that by "Apple-store-level" support, I mean that you can walk into a B&N and there's a real person there specifically waiting to help you with your Nook. At least, that's what I've seen at my local B&N. How knowledgeable they are or whether they are as quick to do a full replacement, I couldn't say.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I didn't know about the tiny bit of storage left over on the Nook, which makes me glad I didn't go that way. Granted, I don't know 100% but if it's like my android phone, you'll have some apps now or in the future, that can't be copied over to the sd card. 1GB isn't a whole lot of space.
There's plenty of space for apps obtained from the B&N app store on the Nook Tablet. The 1GB partition is for user-loaded content. The rest (~12GB+ after considering the OS) is for B&N "ecosystem" content such as apps and e-books.
Old 12-09-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I should clarify that by "Apple-store-level" support, I mean that you can walk into a B&N and there's a real person there specifically waiting to help you with your Nook. At least, that's what I've seen at my local B&N. How knowledgeable they are or whether they are as quick to do a full replacement, I couldn't say.
Staples said something similar when I got the Fire. They said as long as they aren't swamped, they'd be able to take a look at the issue.
Old 12-09-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my book, the Nook Tablet is better. More RAM apparently makes a big performance difference. No hardware volume control buttons would drive me crazy with the Fire. And the SD card slot makes a big difference. I doubt I would buy any gadget without that expandability.

You can sideload android APKs without rooting, including another launcher if you want (and including the Amazon appstore) on the NT.

IF the person using it is not tech-saavy at all, the Fire might be better. There's more apps on the Amazon appstore than the B&N market, and the streaming Prime Video feature is nice for Prime members (I think it's mostly pointless if you have Netflix, though).

But you can get help with the Nook by walking into a store. And honestly I think B&N has ironed out a lot of bugs over the last year with the NC - the device seems to be more solid and polished out the door. Mixed bag for the non-tech-saavy IMO.